Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granary Canyon?

Granary Canyon?

Does anyone have any beta on a canyon around moab called Granary Canyon?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

www.deserthighlights.com -- Look under "Single day adventures"

My guess is that it empties out somewhere along the Amasa Back road.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

They list a 45 minute drive to the begining. That takes you quite aways out of town. The website list 2000 ft of vertical drop. Thats pretty hard to obtain in the moab area.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    They list a 45 minute drive to the begining. That takes you quite aways out of town. The website list 2000 ft of vertical drop. Thats pretty hard to obtain in the moab area.
    Except for those mountains right next to town....

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Except for those mountains right next to town....
    Ya mean those mountains with the 12,000+ ft peaks there to the southeast?

Just recently I caught wind of a "pretty good slot" just off the La Sal Loop road...stay tuned...

Last time I checked the LaSals do not resemble slickrock. So I do not think the canyon adventure is coming off the top of those mtns to the Southeast.

45 minutes driving time is not very far, particularly if dirt roads are involved. 2000' of elevation describes just about the entire Moab area.

Last time I checked the LaSals do not resemble slickrock. So I do not think the canyon adventure is coming off the top of those mtns to the Southeast.
    Keep looking...

Yes but.....sandstone outcrops occur at 8000 ft at the base of the La Sals. Sure its not your typical slickrock forming Navajo Sandstone, but it is sandstone, and it weathers the same way. All of this is water under the bridge anyways in the case of Granary canyon. It appears that Granary is in Navajo Sandstone, and so the La Sals is not a good place to start your search. I still suspect the Potash Road that loops around Amasa Back. Lots of little slots around that area. "Cameltoe canyon" used to be a route that was used by Moab guiding companies in the past.

yea I agree it has to drop down to the colorado. They state at Desert Highlights that the shuttle can be done with a rental car. So the road cannot be to rough. So they can't drop off of Poison spider/Golden Spike or Cliff Hanger on the other side. They could go out around Spring Canyon on the Green river side thats about 45 minutes and you can drive a car down to the river but there is not alot of sandstone out there either. Or out Hurrah Pass area. Dead horse is 2000 ft. vertical but not exactly slick rock in that area either. Maybe I'll have to just pay them to take me but that takes all the fun out of it. Could be down in the Newspaper Rock area thats about 45 minutes from town. Or the 2000' vertical drop is incorrect and it could be anywhere. We've done all the ones on Climb Utah in the moab area and are looking for new adventures.
    Mark

They state at Desert Highlights that the shuttle can be done with a rental car.
    Hint: Rental cars can go lots of places that normal cars can't.

We've done all the ones on Climb Utah in the moab area and are looking for new adventures.
    Keep watching.... I hope to have more good Moab stuff up in the next month or so...

Yea Rental Cars are pretty impressive but I want to watch one do Posion Golden or Cliff Hanger. I'll bring the strap to help get it back out of kane creek at the bottom of CLiff Hanger. Oh you had an earlier post on here of a new canyon in Moab you were doing over Thanksgiving, did you go and if you did, did it have a granary in the middle of it. Since taking this canyoneering activity up I am suprised there are not more slot canyons in this area.

Granary = definitely not in the area of Newspaper Rock, although I suspect there might be a few decent canyoneering routes in that vicinity, especially going over towards Lavender Canyon in the Needles district.

We moved our Moab canyon trip to the weekend of Dec 1...

And I believe there are a lot of interesting canyons in the Moab area. It's just that most have not shown up in guidebooks or become popular yet... I expect that to change over the next couple of years.

For some stramge reason certain areas get skipped by the guys who are serious about finding new canyons and I believe that is the case with Moab in general. Not sure why it's been overlooked for so long... maybe because Moab is more of a party and ATV place and that makes it unpopular with most of the serious treehugger/canyoneer/forest fairy type crowd?

And hint number two: Many canyoneers would think nothing of hiking the Posion, Golden or Cliff Hanger 4x4 routes if it delivered the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    We moved our Moab canyon trip to the weekend of Dec 1...

And I believe there are a lot of interesting canyons in the Moab area. It's just that most have not shown up in guidebooks or become popular yet... I expect that to change over the next couple of years.

For some stramge reason certain areas get skipped by the guys who are serious about finding new canyons and I believe that is the case with Moab in general. Not sure why it's been overlooked for so long... maybe because Moab is more of a party and ATV place and that makes it unpopular with most of the serious treehugger/canyoneer/forest fairy type crowd?

And hint number two: Many canyoneers would think nothing of hiking the Posion, Golden or Cliff Hanger 4x4 routes if it delivered the goods.

I think another reason is because most of the Moab area slots are not your typical slot canyon that most are used to seeing in the Roost or North Wash, where a slot will stay a slot for long periods at a time. Pretty much all Moab slots are better classified as "canyoneering routes," where a canyon will slot up, then open up wide, then slot up again, then open up wide again, etc, etc. Where many North Wash or Roost slots will stay slotted up for miles at a time, Moab slots are best measured in feet (or meters).

Ok the serious tree hugger/canyoneer/forest fairy type crowd comment brought tears to my eyes. For hint #3 which one of the mention jeep trail would the canyoneerer have to hike up. With your last hint you could jeep or hike up cliff hanger and then drop down into Kane Creek over where the old killer kane jeep trail was or anywhere along kane creek.
    Tried to hike from the top of killer kane to Cliff hanger back when we could go up that trail but couldn't find a way through. Thought it would be a great mtn bike ride up cliff hanger and down killer kane.
    We dropped into the Corona Arch area one time off of Golden spike. But all of these canyoneering activites are pretty short. Desert Highlights are talking about quite along trip with multiple rappels and alot of vertical drop. As you stated I think there has to be alot of slots that haven't been located, nothing like zion but more like morning glory medeivl

I didn't say it was or wasn't one of the mentioned routes.... just saying you need to give some thought to hiking off some of the jeep routes.

One problem is I don't know which jeep route is which.... I'm not a hardcore 4x4 (or mountain bike) type guy.

Hey Mark, do you live in the Moab area or just visit?

If I was to venture a guess, I'd say the 2,000 feet is probably a bit exaggerated, and I'd also say this isn't a "full day" canyon. Guide services tend to take their time, especially if there is a lot of rappeling. I'd say Granary is probably a 5-6 hour canyon, with a lengthy car shuttle that rounds it out...

I'll also say that Potash road or Amassa Back area is your best bet. But really, you aren't going to get much more beta than that because no one on here has ever done it. Chances are Shane has the beta, but he isn't going to give it out for free. And he will probably wait to do it himself first. Right Shane?

As for slots in Moab, Matt at Desert Highlights has put in the most time finding these places, and most people respect the fact that he is guiding them for his livelihood, so they don't make it a point to find them or frequent them. If lots of people start using the guided routes, it is bad for everyone, generally speaking (IMO). Also, I think many would argue that the quality of "slot" or canyon around Moab is generally not as good as other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I think many would argue that the quality of "slot" or canyon around Moab is generally not as good as other areas.
    I'd argue that point.... I'd say the slots around Moab are as good as most others, big thing is they are "different", and a lot of folks have trouble thinking outside the box or they don't have the experiance to "see" a good route.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I'd argue that point.... I'd say the slots around Moab are as good as most others, big thing is they are "different", and a lot of folks have trouble thinking outside the box or they don't have the experiance to "see" a good route.

YMMV
    Different strokes for different folks... But let's really be honest here, you just love Moab canyons because they are close to hotels, booze, and ESPN.