Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man Gets PWNED by UHP

Quote Originally Posted by ericchile
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt
    I...The kid just wanted to know the speed he was going to be written up for. The cop never responeded...
    He wrote it on the ticket ;) The mouthy kid should have taken a second to read it... before arrogantly refusing to sign it.
    The cop may not have written it down... The cop should have written on the ticket "refused to sign" and tossed it in the window...... now hes unemployed and the mouthy kids gets 100k from YOU and ME!!!!
    Wrong, wrong and wrong. First, I am 99.9% certain that the kid's speed was written on the ticket. That's the way it works. They write the speed you were traveling, the speed limit where you were clocked, and the speed the officer is citing you for (usually 9 over instead of the 20 over you were going).

Second, state law says that unless the ticket is signed it is worthless. The cop couldn't write "refused to sign" and throw it at the kid. That's the same as letting him go without a ticket. Signing the ticket isn't an admission of guilt, it's an agreement to present yourself to face the charges. When a cop pulls you over he is arresting you. Yes, while you are sitting in your car on the side of the road you are under arrest. If you weren't under arrest you could leave at any time and the cop couldn't chase you. Your signatue means that the cop is un-arresting (releasing) you. Then he can let you drive away in the front seat of your own car instead of the back seat of his. Not signing means that the arrest that you are already under will continue until you face the charges. That's why the kid can be charged with resisting arrest even though the officer never told him he was "under arrest." In Utah refusing to sign a citation will get you a ride in the back of a police car.

Third, I'm pretty sure the kid will get nothing from the public. The officer did nothing wrong. Doofus' frivoulus and petulant claims will not hold up in court. He will be shown for the cry baby he is and come out of this looking very badly. Heck, we've all seen the video. I think he did a pretty good job of that all by himself (did you know that he edited 15 minutes worth of footage out of the video?). Sadly, he will not change and we'll probably see his face again. He'll probably become the Super Dell of traffic stops.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If its 20 or over they have to impound the vehicle. They aren't doing it because your nice to them :-)
    I got pulled over going 92 in a 65 and all I got was a warning, by just being nice. I'm sure it wasn't because he was too lazy to impound my car or write me a ticket. He made me a deal that if I went the speed limit the rest of the way he wouldn't ticket me. I was then followed the next 50 miles by two different highway patrolmen. Needless to say I didn't speed the rest of the way.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

See, this is why I could never be a cop. I'd just shoot him.

I also can't watch Cops on TV. Within a few seconds I'm thinking, "Shoot him! SHOOT HIM!"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

I also can't watch Cops on TV. Within a few seconds I'm thinking, "Shoot him! SHOOT HIM!"
    As a photographer you can shoot him. That joke was lame. I'm aware of that.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

I guess the taser victim got the last laugh and collected $40K from the UHP (our pockets).

Story

I just wet myself

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I guess the taser victim got the last laugh and collected $40K from the UHP (our pockets).
    Yes, you know why? It's cheaper for the State or any municipality to settle out of court instead of bringing it to trial, even though it could be a clear winner for the State. It's all in what's cheaper, that's not right.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I just wet myself

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Yes, you know why? It's cheaper for the State or any municipality to settle out of court instead of bringing it to trial, even though it could be a clear winner for the State. It's all in what's cheaper, that's not right.
    I have to agree. $40k is not that much for big time court settlements. Has to be less then the total cost to try the case. If the trooper had truely f*@! up he would have gotten a lot more than $40k IMO.

He probably asked for something like $200,000.00 and the attorney for the state threw out a number like $40,000.00 and he grabbed it. Nothing like negotiating.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum