Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BYU - Utah Smack

Who cares about Utah/BYU? Isn't this just the WAC? Florida walked over FSU in the real game.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LOL!!

LOL!! About 9 years ago this was the WAC. Now it's the mighty MWC with their mighty "The mountain" channel, seen by hundreds of MWC fans in the inter-mountain region.
    "I'm the dude, man, so that's what you call me"

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    And of course, we did answer, put together an ugly drive though. Aided by a poor decision in the Yewt secondary to rough a receiver after the ball was gone (not the same as the previous call against Utah, the ball was LONG gone). Then a P.I. call that could have gone either way, but the Yewt initiated the contact (in my biased opinion).
    Here is one thing I learned really well during my divorce which can be applied here, what would your reaction be if the shoe was on the other foot?

You know BYU fan would have lynched those refs right at midfield.
    I only partially agree. I hate to blame the refs no matter what. It's a cop out. If I was a Yewt fan my biased opinion would have been that they were bad calls, but that the Yewts still blew it. Leaving Collie open....dropping that pass on the 20 on their final failed drive etc...

You can't point to calls on the last BYU drive as the reason you lost the game. There are blown calls all game every game (with VERY FEW exceptions) that turn the tides of the game, but they are let go of as the game goes on. Both teams get screwed at one point or another during the game that has just as much of an effect on the game as points could have been scored earlier in the game to make the ending entirely different.

The BYU vs. UCLA game bothered when they refs blew two booth reviewed plays where replay showed they were wrong. Even booth reviews end up wrong occasionally when they are close calls, those two just blew my mind though. In the end we still should have won the game, but we couldn't get it done. We were to blame, not the refs.

It happens to everyone, it's part of the game. Unless it's super ugly (Mavs vs. Heat in the finals a few years ago), you can't blame the refs.
    Dear Sir,

I totally agree with the fact that you don't put yourself in a position to get jobb'd.

Sincerely,

Michael Jordon, David Stern, Joey Crawford, and Tim Donaghy

Re: LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    LOL!! About 9 years ago this was the WAC. Now it's the mighty MWC with their mighty "The mountain" channel, seen by hundreds of MWC fans in the inter-mountain region.
    I went to my office to watch it and the f'in satelite reception would only go to channel 148, so I got up on the roof and started hammering on the Dish, now we don't have any channels.

I hate this TV deal!

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Who cares about Utah/BYU? Isn't this just the WAC? Florida walked over FSU in the real game.
    I'm just hoping like hell that Florida get's Hawaii in a BCS bowl.

Mid-Majors 2
    Majors 0

Re: LOL!!

All this fuss over "The mountain" channel and it has worst picture quality I have ever seen. Seriously, I have seen rabbit ears pick up a better picture.

"The Mountain" is best described as a train wreck....

YMMV

Man was that a booooorrrrrrring game. That is until the last 5 minutes. I had been flipping to all the other games all day. Freakin' field goal contest and BYU has become the Brigham Young Runnin' Unga's. I guess you have to go with what works, but man its like watching the Denver Broncos. Smash mouth football is a sleeper and I would not expect that from quarterback university. I didn't know that Unga had 1000 yards rushing this season. . .AND it was the first time for a BYU back? WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    "The Mountain" is best described as a train wreck....

YMMV
    YMMV! No your quote is dead on. I took several broadcast classes in college and worked in the industry. It doesn't take much observation to notice the obvious. And surprise, surprise. . .I have not seen one highlight from the game on ESPN yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Gag me, I can't stand Florida, doesn't help that they have Urban. Florida was good last year, but they're underachievers this year :)

Other than BYU over Utah, and WVU all but sealing a championship game birth (better beat Pitt), the best game this weekend was watching LSU lose!

Re: HELL YEAH!!! BYU 17 Utah 10

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    Again, I get to go the next 365 days without any Ute fans smack.

What a great game.

What a great picture:

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images..._touchdown.jpg
    GREAT PIC! Now we need a link to the rest of em...

The Mountain has got to be killing the MWC teams in recruiting.... I mean honestly..... Boise, Fresno, San Jose go after the same players as most MWC teams..... you know the drill.... Calif kids who are talented but over looked by the majors because he is to small/slow/poor grades....

So the kid goes home and says "hey mom, I can play at Utah and you will see me on TV once this year on a third teir boradcast.... or I can play for Boise and be on ESPN in HD 5 times".

If the MWC doesn't get their crap together they are going to become the WAC's weak little sister.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Man was that a booooorrrrrrring game. That is until the last 5 minutes. I had been flipping to all the other games all day. Freakin' field goal contest and BYU has become the Brigham Young Runnin' Unga's. I guess you have to go with what works, but man its like watching the Denver Broncos. Smash mouth football is a sleeper and I would not expect that from quarterback university. I didn't know that Unga had 1000 yards rushing this season. . .AND it was the first time for a BYU back? WTF!
    First time? What are you smoking? Staley had over 2,000 just a few years back. Maybe the first time for a freshman...

Must hurt having retarded spiritual kids kick the asses of the big tough drunk felons. Don't worry though, basketball season is almost here for you guys... Oh wait...

BTW, you might've missed that BYU beat the #6 ranked team in the nation last night in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    First time? What are you smoking? Staley had over 2,000 just a few years back. Maybe the first time for a freshman...
    2,000? Your smoking the bigger bong. The point is BYU has never been a running back school and now they have 3 and they run on more than half their downs. Find me a reference to your 2,000 yard number. No way in hell a BYU back has rushed for over 2,000 yards in a season!

2,000? Your smoking the bigger bong. The point is BYU has never been a running back school and now they have 3 and they run on more than half their downs. Find me a reference to your 2,000 yard number. No way in hell a BYU back has rushed for over 2,000 yards in a season!
    Here is the BYU All-Time Rushing List

1.Jamal Willis 2,970 yards (1991-1994)
    2.Curtis Brown 2,932 yards (2002-present)
    3.Lakei Heimuli 2,710 yards (1984-1986)
    4.Jeff Blanc 2,663 yards (1973-1975)
    5.Luke Staley 2,493 yards (1999-2001)
    6.Pete Van Valkenburg 2,492 yards (1970-1972)
    7.John Ogden 2,363 yards (1964-1966)

So, yeah, no way Staley ran 2,000 of those 2493 in one year. On a side note, why did that guy leave early? Was he hiding an injury or just dumb?

Sorry, he ran for 1600 as a Junior, and won the Doak Walker Award, which goes to the best running back in the nation. He was injured in the Miss. St game, and missed essentially the last two games. (edit: I was clearly thinking of his career number for 2,000 in the season. I just remember him running wild over everyone that season. My memory failed me... At any rate, 1,000 yard rushers have become the norm at BYU in the last few seasons.)

From Wikipedia "His incredible rushing average (8.1 yards per carry) led the NCAA, and his 143.8 rushing yards per game ranked third nationally. Staley added 32 receptions for 334 yards and 4 touchdowns; he led the nation in total touchdowns (28) and scoring (15.5 points per game). Staley twice tied BYU's school record for touchdowns in a game, scoring 5 against both Utah State and Colorado State." (end wikipedia)

He declared for the draft due to the injury (broken leg) but never fully recovered.

Also, BYU doesn't have three good running backs right now. They have one in Unga. Tonga, and Vakapuna are hardly "good." Average, perhaps, but not "good." Tonga is a great blocking back, and has good hands. Vakapuna is slow as hell nowadays, rarely touches the ball. Semanoff plays fullback, but only gets garbage carries. Unga is their man.

The point is BYU has never been a running back school and now they have 3 and they run on more than half their downs.
    Since Anae came on, BYU relies HEAVILY on their running backs. This is the third straight year that BYU has had a 1,000 yd rusher, and the RB's almost always lead the team in receptions.

The backs aren't typical running backs, but they are definitely the focus of the offense, and have been for a few seasons now.

Great photos. I loved the one of the sign "My first words were Unga" Nice shots of Unga on his dropped pass and his touchdown when he bulldozed #17. Saaaaweeeet. Actually kinda an ugly game but hey, it's a "W". I was impressed with the Ute defense. I really thought that the Y would do better on offense. As to the game being boring, I thought it was pretty intense. I have never heard the crowd in Cougar Stadium that loud from start to finish. Fun atmosphere. And the Ute fans around us were pretty cool. Of course they were significantly out numbered.

As to the Mountain, I totally agree that it will kill the conference. I just watched the Y take on No. 1 No. Carolina. Dang near pulled off the upset. But Dick Vital didn't even know who Trent Plaisted was and yet he was very impressed with him. Do you think any one else would know who any of our teams are unless we occasionally get on another channel? I am sick of the Mountain, VS, an CSTV. Agreed the coverage is poor. Half of the time the camera gets faked out with the fake on the field. Disgusting. The Mountain can't help recruiting.
    Life is Good