View Poll Results: What's the best thing about Thanksgiving?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Food

8 22.86%
  • The Family

8 22.86%
  • The Football

3 8.57%
  • The Sales

0 0%
  • The History

1 2.86%
  • The Empty Canyons and Trails

3 8.57%
  • The days off work

12 34.29%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Thanksgiving

Bogley BigShot

Thanksgiving

How do you spend your day?

Ever wonder what the pilgrims and their Native American guests really ate at the first feast? The truth may surprise you. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't sit down to a meal featuring turkey, corn, cranberries, and pumpkin pie (in fact, they didn't even have forks!).

http://www.history.com/minisites/thanksgiving/

Test your knowledge

http://wilstar.com/holidays/thanksqz.htm

http://www.brownielocks.com/thanksgivingtrivia.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We used to do the big family thing when I was a kid, and I really loved it. Then as all the kids and cousins started growing up, getting married, etc. that pretty much went to the wayside, as they now had to split time between families and stuff like that. When I became an adult, it ended up being just me and my parents and usually, not always, my sister. Not a big deal, but nice.

Now that I'm living out here my husband and I usually take advantage of the long weekend and hit the empty roads, trails and parks. We've spent a couple of years in Zion, this year we're going to Mesa Verde, Durango and New Mexico. A couple of times we've invited our displaced friends, who also dont have family here, for dinner. We ususally do that at Christmas time as well.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Bogley BigShot
    In the past I have worked so that other people can have the day off.... but then we have employees who dislike Thanksgiving and have volunteered to work this year! Yeah! I really thinks its because whenever I work their shifts I clean and move around the whole department! They hate that! It's funny how people dislike change. I love it.

But still even if I don't have to work .... I can't say I am much into holidays....... I usually notice them when most employees ask for the SAME day off ----- or it gets too busy at work... on the highways... etc... I like to do things when others do not... weekdays.... Sundays.... but never on holidays--- fri or sat... unless it's headed to where people are not going.

Last year we did a family vacation instead of presents for Christmas ..... I think the kids are voting for the same again. We will see. I am not into material things..... and think Christmas is a time to share things we make with our own hands.. simple things... I hate flashy lights and fake decorations. I love real trees -- the smell of pine and cinnamon .... simple handmade ornaments... no lights... old fashioned Santa's.... and history.

It's the same with Thanksgiving.... it's a time to think about the history... go to the kids school plays..... and if I can get out of dinner or working and go hiking instead... I am THERE!

Speaking of hiking... I am procrastinating... I have to go and clean that huge rental house. Then I get to go hiking. Anyone that wants to do Peek-a-Boo (Red Canyon) ... be at the Chevron at 1pm in Mt. Carmel Jct. (I know most of you are not close and can't just hop down there) ..... but some of you can.

Sunday is a hike in the Grand Canyon to Pictographs... if anyone is up to that one. Snake Gulch

As far back as the age of 4, I can remember cooking Thanksgiving Dinner. As a child, I assited my Dad in making the stuffing...crumbling the dried bread into the huge bowl, setting up the hand grinder to grind the gibblets, washing the grinder, and the then stiring the mixture and stuffing the turkey. Me and Da did the stuffing and Mom did the rest.

Later in my early teens I assumed the task of preparing the entire meal. Just in case you were wondering the preparation of the meal began every spring when the box of day old turkey chicks were delivered to the corner store for pick-up. Everything came from our garden and everything was cooked on a coal stove.

Later in life I had to learn to grocery shop and cook on a 'real' stove. But I can still put an entire dinner for 20 on the table at the same time and at the time that was set to eat.

Last year was the first time I have never cooked the Thanksgiving Meal. It was great!!! Showed up, sat down, ate too much, when home and left town the following morning for the long weekend with friends.

And this year: we are doing the same thing except I have the whole following week off from work!

Re: Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    How do you spend your day?
    Drinking Wild Turkey, for which I am thankful, 101 proof bourbon is a blessing, thank you Kentucky.

I don't really like turkey, if I cook for Thanksgiving it will be seafood or ham.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I was brought up as a good southern girl and taught to cook from an early age as were my 2 sisters. So, when we're all together (which we will be this year) we cook the meal (we all have our specialties) serve and then clean up. The men all gather in front of the tv with football blasting until dinnertime. Of course, it doesn't hurt that we have a few bottles of white wine chilling in the fridge to help the work go by a little easier. Honestly, we always have fun - my sisters share my sense of humor - and of course the wine doesn't hurt either. Sometimes it's just immediate family, but usually it's several close friends as well who've become like family over the years since we have all moved to Utah.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    In the past I have worked so that other people can have the day off.... but then we have employees who dislike Thanksgiving and have volunteered to work this year! Yeah! I really thinks its because whenever I work their shifts I clean and move around the whole department! They hate that! It's funny how people dislike change. I love it.

But still even if I don't have to work .... I can't say I am much into holidays....... I usually notice them when most employees ask for the SAME day off ----- or it gets too busy at work... on the highways... etc... I like to do things when others do not... weekdays.... Sundays.... but never on holidays--- fri or sat... unless it's headed to where people are not going.
    I always asked for volunteers to work the holiday shifts and paid a nice bonus in addition to overtime. The worst holiday shift to fill was New Year's Eve.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Most of these nowadays are spent with my wifes' side of the family. I can count on one hand the number of times my brothers and sister have gotten together over the last 20 years but my wifes side - the Asay clan - get together every other year - this year is one of the big get togethers, 45+ people...we have to rent a hall usually. This year my mother in law is having surgery - tomorrow. My sis in law had a baby about 4 hours ago...my wife is down there with her right now, and I am heading down tuesday and will be there to help the rest of the sisters cook the monster of a meal...and Im in charge of the hall setup and teardown.
    candied yams, funeral potatoes, reg mashed potates, turkey, ham, more salads than you can count and PIES!! I think I am getting hungry already!

We generally do the tour de dinners hopping from one place to the next spending time with family. This year will be our calmest yet, only 2 places to go. The big tradition is the day after the wives get up to go shopping at 3 am to hit the sales. The husbands watch the kids in the morning and then head west to wendover for the weekend and play cards. Depending on lady luck it can be an expensive weekend or pay for christmas.
    Eat it you dirty little fish!

I will spend time with family watching FTB. I pick up a big honey baked ham in the morning. Will be having it on rolls during FTB games all weekend.

Bogley BigShot
    Looks like the clan will all be going to the Home of the Ho-made Pies for Turkey dinner.

That's what I like..... no mess... no left overs....

I would rather have a candle-lit dinner with one man any day over the big gathering of Thanks-giving! That is worth cleaning and cooking for.

Bogley BigShot
    You can tell the large male population on this group....

Since no one is checking the sales option.

You can tell the large male population on this group....

Since no one is checking the sales option.
    I will avoid the sale day at all cost and always will...there is NOTHING worth standing in line for and fighting a bunch of screaming pushy women for and yes, I said women....you ever seen a bunch of guys fighting to get to the same game/tv/whatever at Walmart/Target/wherever at 6 am?? I better leave this one alone...sorry, it just gets my blood to boiling

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I will avoid the sale day at all cost and always will...there is NOTHING worth standing in line for and fighting a bunch of screaming pushy women for and yes, I said women....you ever seen a bunch of guys fighting to get to the same game/tv/whatever at Walmart/Target/wherever at 6 am?? I better leave this one alone...sorry, it just gets my blood to boiling
    To defend the women, I will contend with your statement. Just go to a "man" store, and you will see the insanity. Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy, etc...

Fighting over a $19.99 DVD player.

I will be cuddling up to a warm Football game and of course UUTAH!

Same to you! And to all!

I spent my Thanksgiving on the couch with a chest cold. I watched all 7 hours of the KBYU Little House on the Prairie Marathon. I love that show!