Thread: road to halls creek overlook in capitool reef np

road to halls creek overlook in capitool reef np

according to rangers this is a hcv, 2wd road. anyone have experience w/ it ? is it really hcv ? i had heard the road to hdh and gdj was hcv, as well as the road to ticaboo spring and the road out to high spur area. all were no problem w/ my hyundai elantra. ticaboo spring road was even in really bad shape after crazy autumn rains last year. past there to good hope mesa was definitely 4wd hcv though.

so anyone have opinions on the road to halls creek overlook ? really hcv ? or just slow and pick a good line ? i'll probably try it regardless so i know for myself, 1/2 day plus of time ain't so bad. but others experiences to boost my confidence or set me up for a "i told you so" are very welcome.

thanks.
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I drove to Hall's Creek Overlook last year in my Honda Pilot, a high clearance, 4WD SUV. The 4WD wasn't needed. The road there is basically a horse-shoe shape off of the Burr Trail. I entered on the north leg of the horse-shoe and the road wasn't bad until very near the end, when it became quite rough and rocky. That last part (can't remember how far...1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, ???) I would not want to drive without high clearance. However, if it gets too rough, you could hike the rest of the way. I drove out the south leg and wished I had not. Much rougher and long, and I was getting nasty looks from my Navigator all the way.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

thanks sparker.

the legend on my earthwalk press map says that notom-bullfrog road is unpaved (all passenger vehicles). probably the ranger meant that last portion off the notom-bullfrog road to the overlook. that would make more sense, especially w/ your description as well. thanks for the booster ! a 1/2 mile walk or more is no biggie.

be thankful your navigator only gave nasty looks. i've had some scream and jump out the vehicle at the first opportunity. guess they didn't like being on the down-mountain side of that 4wd "road"

and jusy another aside. 4wheelin in the okmulgee wildlife preserve in oklahoma one time a buddy opened the door and almost jumped because i crossed a stream w/, and no exagerration, 2" or so of water flowing. he had been in a car that was swept away in a real flood once though so it was understandable. but that didn't stop the shit he caught for trying to bail over 2" of water !
    signature

Just did the Bullfrog-Notom Road and Halls Creek Overlook last month...

As noted you will have no problems along the Bullfrog-Notom Rd and you could likely even drive to the parking spot on Halls Cross Overlook with some careful spotting.

I did it Labor Day weekend 2003, in a Subaru Forester. I bailed out on the final 100 to 200 meters before the trailhead, because I thought it was too rough. Up to that point, it hadn't been bad at all. Then we hiked the final section and saw a VW GTI parked at the trailhead! So, I don't think you'll have a problem unless conditions have changed substantially since then.

Btw, the hike to Brimhall Bridge is awesome.