Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Ok so I'm starting the process of getting a new job, something better than hanging raingutter, so I'm trying to go for a more professional look. Tonight was a sad night for me. I had to go from grizzly adams to clean shaven, attractive (up for debate) gentleman. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like you missed a spot.... maybe try taking one step closer to the razor next time.

I'm not a fan of facial hair.... and as an employer I can say looks are extremely important, particularly first impressions.

Next item, wear clean dress clothes to the interview, and a tie is not overboard. As an employer I'm amazed at what people wear to an interview now days. I'm telling all you youngin's right now. You can not be over dressed for an interview. Half the people that walk through my front door don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job from me just because they can't dress nice. I figure if they are not smart enough to dress up for an interview they are not smart enough to work for me.

Even with men, nails and new shoes are very important. And wear new socks! It's amazing how people think that one cannot see the socks. you will do well. Let us know how it goes.

I'd say trim the goatie if you totally want to keep it. Otherwise get rid of it for now. Dress nice, you don't have to over dress, sometimes tie is not needed, but a nice dress shirt and slacks are.

Take Beech for example, his wild hair was going to be a drawback for him during the interview. But he calmed it nicely in a pony tail and it looked very clean.

I am interviewing tomorrow for a fact :?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I guess tying back my hair wasn't enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I guess tying back my hair wasn't enough?
    Oh I guess I forgot to tell you huh.....

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    The "new" look is great! I like a man with a goatee.
    My advice: Don't wear white socks (gym socks) with dress pants. You'd be surprised how many guys do that. Not professional.

Another word of advice: Don't wear womens clothing to the interview. I actually had someone (a man) show up to interview for a position after we had spoken briefly over the phone. He seemed articulate and bright and quite frankly, I wondered why he wanted to work as a cashier at my location. It was a Friday afternoon, we were extremely busy and I see this "lady" standing in line and I'm thinking she's just another customer coming to pay for her gas. Nooooooooo - when "she" stepped up to the window she waves over at me and says "HI......I'm Robert". All I could think of was that my male, super-macho, gun-totin' business partner was going to kill me if I hired him/her. No lie.......this guy had on a long red wig, skirt, blouse, pearl necklace, heels and a push up bra.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

If you're interviewing for "past presidents of the United States," then by all means, keep that bushy goatee. Otherwise, I would shave that thing off. Shane is right. Goatees can grow back, but first impressions CANNOT!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Looks like you missed a spot.... maybe try taking one step closer to the razor next time.

I'm not a fan of facial hair.... and as an employer I can say looks are extremely important, particularly first impressions.

Next item, wear clean dress clothes to the interview, and a tie is not overboard. As an employer I'm amazed at what people wear to an interview now days. I'm telling all you youngin's right now. You can not be over dressed for an interview. Half the people that walk through my front door don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job from me just because they can't dress nice. I figure if they are not smart enough to dress up for an interview they are not smart enough to work for me.

Ditto. My office is pretty stuffy but that first impression is huge. Resumes get you interviews. Interviews get you jobs. Your appearance, that smile and a firm handshake is huge. Do not expect people to love you for who you are. It aint how it works despite what they teach in school. All this freedom of expressions stuff is only good in college or the unemployment line. Employers want people who will present well. After all, the employee is a reflection of the employer. You may want to visit the place of employment just to get your own initial impression of just how formal the place is. Even if you see folks in jeans, do not go in jeans to the interview. You can never go wrong by dressing up but you can certainly screw up your chances by going too casual.
    Life is Good

I'll tell you what... from an employers stand point hiring is really difficult and a big crap shoot. You are usually forced to hire an employee after reading a resume and a 15 minute interview. The employer usually has a lot of money riding on the fact that they make the correct choice. We usually hire an employee on a one month probation period. I usually know after a couple of weeks if they can do the job or not, but we have usually spent about $20,000 on the employee after that amount of time and it's not recoverable if they are terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    You can never go wrong by dressing up but you can certainly screw up your chances by going too casual.
    I absolutely agree, you can always take off a tie if needed, at any rate the interviewer will appreciate that you took time to dress up.

I actually had a young woman show up for a receptionist interview in sweat pants and top! Unbelievable! I told her to go home and change into something appropriate for the job then come back and MAYBE I'd interview her.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    My advice: Don't wear white socks (gym socks) with dress pants. You'd be surprised how many guys do that. Not professional.
    If someone was uptight enough to actually judge my professionalism based on white socks, I would never work for them.

Of course, all I own are white socks. It's a guy thing. Real guys wear white socks. Mainly because we're too lazy to sort socks on laundry day. I just buy a big old bag of tube socks and then just grab two outta the drawer.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinerider
    at any rate the interviewer will appreciate that you took time to dress up.
    That's the key right there..... the interviewer will know you are willing to go above and beyond what is required of you. Anyone willing to do that usually makes a good employee.

I don't care to hire an employee who does the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    but we have usually spent about $20,000 on the employee after that amount of time and it's not recoverable if they are terminated.
    Wow, are you hiring?

The goat, beard or whatever will grow back. But as mentioned above, you gotta pay the piper to get the gig to start with. Thats life! However, I landed my current gig with a well trimmed goatee, but your goat looks a little shabby. Now I am settled in, have a full beard, wear jeans and do what I want. Although, I have proven myself time and time again. . .earned the freedom.

I sported the goat today at work and realized I didn't like it anyway so it's back to shaving for me, well, at least for a little while. Thank you all for the good tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

So the interview was kind of a pre-interview interview and it went very well. He was impressed with my resume and said he was gonna go push it around the office. Hes a director down there so apparently he has alot of pull. I'm also looking around at other places. If anyone has any ideas or job openings, let me know. I'll shoot you a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOU812
    If anyone has any ideas or job openings, let me know. I'll shoot you a resume.
    What are you looking for? I am looking for a utility engineering intern. Basically mapping and surveying underground utilities.
    Fire By Day,
    Fire By Night;
    Everywhere I Go,
    Fire Is My Light!

I'm looking for something better than hanging rain gutter. No, in reality I would like to have an office job. Something indoors for a change. It's been a while since I had one of those. More importantly I would like something where I can still go to school.