Thread: FreezeFestin - How Much Neo is Enough?

FreezeFestin - How Much Neo is Enough?

So, I've been flirting with the Black Hole on New Years for several years now, and this year I have acquired a bunch of neoprene, and am considering goin for it. My question for those that have done it: How much is enough? What neoprene combo do you use, and how thick does it need to be to be enjoyable?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: FreezeFestin - How Much Neo is Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    So, I've been flirting with the Black Hole on New Years for several years now, and this year I have acquired a bunch of neoprene, and am considering goin for it. My question for those that have done it: How much is enough? What neoprene combo do you use, and how thick does it need to be to be enjoyable?
    I think I am getting my paws on a dry suit for it... I have 4/3, with a 3mm vest, and I bet i would be coooold.

I have a 7 mm and a 5/3 with a shorty option. I haven't decided which to use. The 7mm is almost a dry suit but it is very tiring after about 3-4 hours on. Of course don't trust me, I haven't done it yet and hope to this year. I am warm blooded. I did Trail in a shorty last freezefest and I was fine, of course I had time to warm up between two sandstone walls while I pondered how to un-stick myself.
    Life is Good

<pdba>

I just bought a drysuit, Rock. Zion Adv Co had them on sale. Heading to the Swell for Turkey Day weekend too; so figured I could use it then as well.

When I did ice diving in Michigan (break through the surface ice, and scuba dive) we used a 5 full, with a 2/3 shorty; and was fine. Although, much like Scott; I'm pretty warm blooded.

While I haven't done FreezeFest specifically, I'd make a guess that you would be fine in around 5mm on the appendages, and 7mm on the core. Anything much more and you will likely have issues with flexibility.

Looking forward to FreezeFest this year. I'm hoping to be out there on 12/26 and staying through 1/2, so will be good to see you and hang out again.

Take care,
    A.J.

I have a dry suit so winter canyons are not toooooo baaaaad......

But it's my hands that I have problems with in winter swims. Dip your hands in the water and they go numb and then rope work is a bitch. Actually just moving your fingers is a bitch. I bought a pair of neo diving gloves but never tried them out yet. I took the cowards way out and started saving the long swims for summer.

I did Black Hole on New Years several years ago flowing. In my 7MM full I was toasty warm. It is a dive suit, so had double layer over core and crotch, the two areas I most wanted to keep warn. (Bib pants and a jacket.)

A 5mm would be pushing it for me. The only downside with the 7mm is the weight. Hiking in it all day is a bit tiring. I coupled that with 5mm neo socks and some neoprene gloves. No problems with the cold at all. The socks were from Zion Adventure, the gloves Sportsmans Warehouse.

When I do it next time, I will likely use my drysuit, simply because of it's ease of movement.

Good luck!

A small side note, I found what looks like a decent pair of neo gloves tonight at... drum roll please... Walmart.

9 bucks for the pair, and they seem pretty decent. They are probably 3-5mm thick, and felt pretty comfortable. Just in case any of you cheap bastards from Team Stearns are looking for some.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Just in case any of you cheap bastards from Team Stearns are looking for some.
    Team Stearns would suffer serious shrinkage doing winter canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    A small side note, I found what looks like a decent pair of neo gloves tonight at... drum roll please... Walmart.

9 bucks for the pair, and they seem pretty decent. They are probably 3-5mm thick, and felt pretty comfortable. Just in case any of you cheap bastards from Team Stearns are looking for some.
    Found myself at Walmart today and picked up a pair, they are fleece lined neo found in the fishing section. At only $7.95 a pop they just might replace my rubber grip work gloves I usually wear, depends how they hold up to rope burn.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    At only $7.95 a pop they just might replace my rubber grip work gloves I usually wear, depends how they hold up to rope burn.

Eric.
    I tried a pair of those last year as my ice lead gloves, I shredded the finger tips in a day and pretty much the palms too. Before you use them put some tape where they'll wear and they might hold up.

I did the Black Hole this year on the 1st and wore my full 7mm. It was very toasty but the high temperature that day was 45 and the water was enjoyable - not like later in the year when someone was sliding across the ice.

Scott - I don't remember you wearing a shorty, tho I can still see you stuck in that slot.

Probably won't get out this year as vacations in December and February will use up most of my leave time.
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce

Scott - I don't remember you wearing a shorty, tho I can still see you stuck in that slot.
    That can't be a pretty memory for you. I am pretty sure I was wearing a shorty. I didn't bring my big suits last year because I didn't plan to get wet last year. But of course I have very little willpower when it comes to having a nice new slot dangled in front of me. So I looked in my box and came up with a shorty. If it wasn't my shorty, it was my nice and thin team sterns 3/2 full but I'm pretty sure it was a shorty I was wearing. We'll miss you this year.
    Life is Good

Everytime I do it, it is interesting to look around. Everyone's system is different. What works for one may not work for another, depending on your body type and threshold for pain (cold temps).

The first time I did it was in a 3/2 shorty with a 3/2 full length on top with a NEO PFD over that. I was toasty warm in that, even going through and over the Log Jams of the time. Last year was in a leaky dry suit, but the weather was OK and I was fine. This year it will be in a full length 4/3 with a 5/3 vest for back up and depending on weather a PFD.

Another good system I have used in other canyons is my dive skin, with my 2/3 shorty on top of that, then if needed I have added my leaky dry suit over that. Worked really nice.

I have also seen others do something similar but with only a kayakers spray top. If you can keep your torso warm, it helps to keep your appendages warmer because the warm blood is being pumped out of the torso to those extremities. Also if you can add a NEO PFD to your system it not only helps with flotation but also with warmth and much less sweating and calorie loss.

Look forward to seeing everyone again this year at the New Years Day events.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum