Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

What book are you currently reading?

What book or books are you reading right now?

I am currently reading Edward Abbey's Desert Solataire, soon to be follwed by the monkey wrench gang. Also what are some of your favorite books and why?

One of my favorite books is "Into thin air" by John Krakaeur. I love that book because I would love to climb everest one day!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My night stand currently has:

1- The Monkey Wrench Gang

2- Faster, by James Gleick

3- Escalante, the Best Kind of Nothing - Brooke Williams

4- On writing, by Stephen King

And on the toilet -

A People's History of the United States

Into Thin Air is a great book! If you enjoyed it, I highly recommend reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Climb-Tragic-A...4926621&sr=8-5

The Climb is Anatoli Boukreev's account of the events chronicled in Into Thin Air.

http://www.amazon.com/Above-Clouds-D...4926621&sr=8-2

Above the Clouds is a collection of diary entries by Anatoli Boukreev.

Right now I'm reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout

The Climb is Anatoli Boukreev's account of the events chronicled in Into Thin Air.
    I've meant to read Boukreev's account for some time. From what I understand, he paints a much different picture than our hero, Krakauer. Thanks for the reminder to get it on my list

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    just about finished w/

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

by John Robison
    And, how did you like it Marc? I had a roommate for 8 months who had Asperger's. It was an interesting time for me... He was very reclusive though, and I never spent the time to get to know him well. Would be interesting to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    And, how did you like it Marc? I had a roommate for 8 months who had Asperger's. It was an interesting time for me... He was very reclusive though, and I never spent the time to get to know him well. Would be interesting to learn more.
    it's a great read, his brother wrote Running w/ Scissors
    (also a great, but tough read).
    after reading a book like this, it would definately make dealing w/ an Aspergian much easier.

well, just finished Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind. Now I am reading 'On a Pale Horse' - Piers Anthony. I read alot of scifi/fantasy stuff and usually mix it up between about a dozen different authors. Terry Brooks is one of my favs, also Issac Asimov, Stephen R. Donaldson and Robert Heinlein.
    ...the bathroom read is always either Mountain Bike Action or Petersens 4x4....or the latestdaily catalog from Victorias Secret

2/3 through The Monkey Wrench Gang, I hadn't read it since high school. Its been fun to read about alot of places I have visited, Comb Wash, Hidden Spendor Mine, Valley of the Gods... a little different frame of mine then most, but hey its a good read.

I just finished Desert Solataire, another Abbey book I read in high school english 10 years ago. My next book is Long Way Down.

Just finished Walden by Thoreau, looking for something else...

Monkey Wrench Gang sounds like the next one.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'm just about to finish "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. There is maybe 20 pages left but I have to be careful. I've heard the ending is every bit as sad as "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" which up to this point qualifies as the saddest ending I've ever read. I don't exactly want to be sitting here bawling at my desk.

I haven't decided what to start next but "It Can't Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis is near the top of the list. "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn, "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy, and "Luther the Reformer: The Story of the Man and His Career" by James M. Kittelson are also being considered.

I tend to read classics with a diversion into something historical, theological, or sociological every third of fourth book. I find most of what is still highly regarded after a few decades is worth reading. There are exceptions of course. "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville immediately springs to mind.

There's also "Basic Metrology for ISO 9000 Certification" by G. M. S. de Silva and "How to Form a Non-profit Corporation" by Anthony Mancuso sitting on next to my little reading nook in the basement. There's a pair of page turners for you.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Effective Java
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    ...I have a vast library of books to choose from on the other side of that wall there Shan that youre welcome to peruse

Uhhh a digital one. . .it is called uutah.com.

I've meant to read Boukreev's account for some time. From what I understand, he paints a much different picture than our hero, Krakauer.
    Not really it

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]

I've meant to read Boukreev's account for some time. From what I understand, he paints a much different picture than our hero, Krakauer.
    Not really it

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why

I don't know if this counts but I'm reading "Mountianeering: Freedom of the hills" not too much of a story line but I recommend it.
    The man thong is wrong.

[quote=CarpeyBiggs][quote=James_B_Wads2000]

Not really it
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost