Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by blueshade View Post
    Just came across this thread. How nice to see it and found a few new reading ideas.

Just started "Back from Tuichi: The Harrowing Life and Death Story of Survival in the Amazon Rain Forest"

Here are a few of my favorites (that haven't been listed), from multiple genres:

He, She, and It - Marge Piercy (fiction, futuristic)
    Tokyo Vice - Jake Adelstein (Japan, journalism, and organized crime)
    Tahir Shah - In Arabian Nights, The Caliph's House, Trail of Feathers, Sorcerer's Apprentice (funny travel writer)
    Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files (wizard in Chicago, witty)
    Eating Animals - Eric Schlosser
    The Story of Stuff - Annie Leonard
    Cradle to Cradle - William McDonough, Michael Braungart
    Freakonomics - Steven Levit, Stephen Dubner
    Seven Years in Tibet – Heinrich Harrer
    Joe Simpson – Touching the Void
    Randy Pausch - The Last Lecture
    A Crime So Monstrous - Benjamin Skinner (modern day slavery)

Of those that were listed: Lone Survivor, Life of Pi, and Three Cups of Tea are great (although the last apparently may be lacking in the truth department).

I really like The Wheel of Time, but really dislike Tad Williams, L.E. Modesitt and George R.R. Martin. Terry Goodkind is ok, but long winded. Terry Brooks was ok as a kid, but not sure now. Anne Rice, pretty good. Dune books, a little unsure. Dan Brown mostly good.

How's that synopsis? Explanations available upon request.
    I really liked the wheel of time and terry good kind. I was reading them at the same time and was amazed at how similar they are. I've found myself recently going back to weis and the dragon lance series especially the new one with all the author comments.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I read these years ago and loved them. But he took so long between the 3rd and 4th books that I have up. Now I'm tempted to read them again, especially since the series is so good.
    I have been told not to expect the 6th book in the series anytime soon. Might have to stage out series to avoid waiting too long for the follow up.

Calico Joe by Grisham
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Reading an older one. "The Last Frontier" by Howard Fast. About the flight of a band of Northern Cheyenne from Oklahoma to the Powder River area in 1878. So far it is quite interesting.
    Conrad
    Retired & Lovin' It!

Did anyone else see the author of "World War Z", Max Brooks, on "Sons of Guns" last night? He wanted the team to build the best civilian Zombie defense rifle. Classic! The dude can actually shoot, too!
    Are we there yet?

Game of Thrones, the HBO series follows the books surprisingly well.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Best Damn Garage in Town
    Smokey Yunick

This is a must read for all gear heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    American Sniper
    How did you like it?
    Are we there yet?

It's a good book. I did like Marine Sniper better, mostly because it went more into the science of the hide and shot, which I found interesting,

I'm reading The Real Romney by Michael Kranish, and also, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Just picked up Grant Palmer's An Insiders View of Mormon Origins. I'm excited to get into it.

I am trying to get my 10 year old a little more interested in reading so I am reading a early teen favorite of mine to my kids this summer... "Deathwatch" by Robb White
    Life is Good

15. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    I just finished "Ghost in the Wires" which was pretty great.

Before that I finished "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" which was just okay.

I am looking for a great book series and haven't read one since Fablehaven.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Just started "Unbroken"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I am trying to get my 10 year old a little more interested in reading so I am reading a early teen favorite of mine to my kids this summer... "Deathwatch" by Robb White
    Deathwatch was among my favorite books as a 6th or 7th grader. At that time I also loved Louis L'Amour's "Last of the Breed" and Hatchet by Gary Paulson. Great survival books and easy reads.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Just started Ann Rice's new novel, The Wolf Gift. Before that I got on a graphic novel kick and re-read all my hellboy and batman books. Felt like a kid again! Got King's new kennedy novel on my dresser next.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

My son, 23, is an avid reader and has read almost everything I have heard of. He knocks out a book a week, and has for years. He was the Stirling Scholar for Literature as a senior in high school. As a freshman at the UoU his Honors English teacher gave out a 2 page (four column) reading list for them to choose from, he had read all but 2 or 3 of them. She called bullshit on him... He knew more about the books than she did!

Anyway,.. he started something interesting a year ago - for gifts (b'day, graduation,etc...) he buys the recipient a book that they have wanted or talked about enjoying in the past. He gets himself a copy and reads it during the same period that they do so that they can discuss and enjoy it together... Like a private one onone book club! It's interesting that he is reading such diverse materials at the same time in an effort to gain a better understanding of what makes us tick, what we read in our younger days, what may have helped shape our lives and philosophies.

For Father's Day he gave me a couple of Hienlien books remembering that I had read them all in my youth. Hence I am now re-reading "Stranger in a Strange Land" thirty plus years after reading it the first time. "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" is next.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
    Its the story of what happened to SEAL Team 10 in Afganistan.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I think I read all of Robb White's books when I was a young teenager. "Deathwatch" was one of the best.
    Are we there yet?