Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

I browsed B&N this morning but the only thing I bought was a Starbucks coffee, heh.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I browsed B&N this morning but the only thing I bought was a Starbucks coffee, heh.
    I have the hardest time not buying at least one book every time I'm browsing a bookstore! And I shy away from Starbucks...they're the WalMart of coffee houses - always undermining the little guy. And they burn their coffee to boot! Beware Seattle's Best - they're also owned by Starbucks! I'm a Peets fan! ~ My son works there.

Anyhow, I'm just finishing up "Blood & Thunder" by Hampton Sides (an amazing read), and I'm half way through "Holy War Inc. ~ inside the secret world of Osama Bin Laden" by Peter Bergen, (It's also amazing and scary - that guy & his family have so many insidious connections to various corporations (many here in the USA including Disney for god's sake) it's hard to fathom just how deeply rooted Al Qaeda is and how hard it's going to be to dissolve the organization. I'm just starting "Amazing Grace ~ The story of America's most beloved song" by Steve turner.

Looks like it's gonna be a good one too.
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Randi~ Have you read "Mayada, Daughter of Iraq: One Woman's Survival Under Saddam Hussein"?

Great read. Sounds like it may be up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    I'm a Peets fan! ~ My son works there.
    Love Peets!

I like DazBog http://www.dazbog.com/

Or when I'm feeling wealthy (which is rare), I order a case of Organic, free trade beans from Costa Rica (shipping's free with a case!). It's like Christmas time when I get the box from http://www.cafebritt.com/twenty-something/. 20 bags of shade grown-organic-freetrade coffee for 149.00 and they usually throw in some Macadamia nuts. Can't go wrong.

YUM. COFFEE........... oh yes. And books!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Randi~ Have you read "Mayada, Daughter of Iraq: One Woman's Survival Under Saddam Hussein"?

Great read. Sounds like it may be up your alley.
    No I haven't even heard of that one, but I've read a few other's in that vein. WE have it SOOOO good here compared to so many women living under repressive regimes.

I read a very good book a few months ago called Winter in Kabul By Anne Jones. Her writing is humorous and engaging and really cuts to the heart of the attitudes which (still) prevail in Afghanistan (and all hard line Muslim nations) concerning women. It's just such a sad situation over there, and in so many parts of the world. God am I happy that I was born over here instead of a hard-line Muslim nation.

Thanks for the heads up Alison...maybe I'll pick it up and put it in the queue!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    I'm a Peets fan! ~ My son works there.
    Love Peets!

I like DazBog http://www.dazbog.com/

Or when I'm feeling wealthy (which is rare), I order a case of Organic, free trade beans from Costa Rica (shipping's free with a case!). It's like Christmas time when I get the box from http://www.cafebritt.com/twenty-something/. 20 bags of shade grown-organic-freetrade coffee for 149.00 and they usually throw in some Macadamia nuts. Can't go wrong.

YUM. COFFEE........... oh yes. And books!
    YUM. COFFEE.
    & TEA! I get both of em free from my son Aaron!
    He's always bringing home coffee and tea to try. The only time I buy coffee now, is for friends...and it's usually from Peet's and I get a 50% discount! Thanks Aaron! Hehehe....

Someday I want to open a "coffee, tea, boba & books" shop!
    In Escalante maybe! I've never even seen boba in Utah! Utanians might like it! We love it here in the OC...hehehe
    Oh to dream......

Reading "Little Big Man" right now. It's amazing.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

The Forgotten 500 - Gregory A Freeman

One of the war stories that stayed lodged in my memory for a half century was my father's telling of his fear of getting shot down over Yugoslavia. He'd been briefed that if captured, the people there would string you up by your privates. There were more gory details as to the torture that would await the unlucky airman, but I was never able to get beyond that pecker stretcher image.

Turns out that was bogus information. The Serbians did a good job of rounding up shot down allied airmen and keeping them safe from the occupying nazis until an audacious air rescue was carried out in 1944.

Good read. Heroes, villains, spies, Wild Bill Donovan, commies, and cliffhangers.

Hey Blueeyes.......have you read anything by Noah Ben Shea? I noticed you have a quote from him. My co-worker is reading a book written by him and says it's been very enlightening. What's your opinion?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Nope I sure haven't. I saw the quote at the local coffee joint and fell in love with it. I think I am going to frame it and hang it on my new office wall.

If he writes books I was unware, now I will have to investigate. I am looking for another book.

Currently I am reading about Access Database. zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    I just finished reading Killer Elite (Military SF oriented) and Battle of Mogadishu.

Time to head to B&N for a new book(s).
    You would like Roughneck Nine One by Frank Antenori, If you haven't read it already.

Lost Treasures On The Old Spanish Trail as well as The Utah Gold Rush

Books on Alison's night stand:

Outlander which is thoroughly romantic!
    New Moon which is sucking me into the Twilight series and loving it!
    Lonely Planet Bali and Lombok to research my upcoming trip.
    Kelseys 3rd edition to Canyons in the Colorado Plateau to research canyon beta.

I always have a few that I rotate through. But Deathcricket reminded me of Neil Gaiman which I haven't read any of his stuff in over a year or so. So of course, this got my wheels spinning and will have to go pick up another Neil Gaiman b/c his style of writing is dreamy! And I loved it!

Blind Man's Bluff

oh and
    Principles of Human Physiology, Chemistry: A Molecular Approach, and a few others

Browsing the internet for a bit of light reading, now that the snow is near.

I came across this page

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlib...estnovels.html

I have only read 8 of the ones on the list.

BTW, Where it Twain? Remarque? Dickens?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Anything by Vince Flynn, featuring Mitch Rapp.

Current book is: Transfer of Power

In short, terrorists take over the Whitehouse and the CIA's top anti-terrorist operative is sent in to kick butt and take names!

I'm reading Addicted to Danger by Jim Wickwire .

Evolution: What The Fossils Say, And Why It Matters. - David Prothero

A Stranger To Myself - Willy Peter Reese

"Hell's Angels" by Hunter S. Thompson
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake