Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

[QUOTE=TreeHugger;400595]Currently reading:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    SCORE! I've got a least one Mother's Day gift worked out
    :-) !! I just started it, its great so far!

Just finished: Man's Search for Meaning

I just remembered this thread and thought I would look for my next book.

just finished the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

Finished Robinson Crusoe and The Hobbit. Reading Lord of the Rings.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Just finished The First Total War
    Name:  FirstTotalWar..jpg
Views: 226
Size:  7.2 KB
    Almost done with the Orson Scott Card - Ender's Saga and soon to be reading his version of the Book of Mormon and then on to
    After the Reich
    Name:  3440-1..jpg
Views: 351
Size:  24.3 KB
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

[QUOTE=TooeleCherokee;400582]Just finished Over the edge of the world
    Attachment 33550
    [QUOTE]

I just finished this.... great book, thanks for the recommendation.

Just finished The Hunger Games. Had a hard time putting it down...
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Quote Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
    Just finished The Hunger Games. Had a hard time putting it down...
    Cool - My daughter (11) read this last year, and was very keen on it. I've since seen a lot of people that surprised me reading it, and everyone has had good things to say. I'll have to give it a whirl...

Perhaps after my current book: How The Mind Works, by Stephen Pinker

Just finished In Search of the Old Ones, by David Roberts. Thanks, denaliguide, for the point-out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I haven't read that one, but I read Pinker's "Stuff of Thought", which used the structure of language to infer thngs about the way the mind works. I like his stuff. It's hard reading (at least 'Stuff' was), but very interesting. My favorite chapter was the discussion of swearing. I've run across a couple of essays on the internet by Pinker about swearing/cussing/etc. Enjoyed them a lot.
    Deb

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride On View Post
    just finished the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind
    Started this one back in October. I have two books left to complete the series. I can't find the second to last one it lost itself in the move!!! I am in suspense here. Grrrr... I know it will show up soon.
    Chere'

Currently reading these four:

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Holy War by Karen Armstrong

Snow by Orhan Pamuk

Lenin's Tomb 'last days of the Soviet Empire' by David Remnick

***still trying to finish these two - have 10 or 20 pages to go***

Tears of Blood 'a cry for Tibet' by Mary Craig

Einstein ' his life and universe' by Walter Isaacson

~I have a problem finishing books once I'm very near the end. It's weird. The Einstein book for instance is extremely fascinating, and well written. I've been a captive audience right up to the last 10 or so pages. This happens with 80% of the books I read. Perhaps it's because most of what I read is non-fiction & I already know the eventual outcome? Anyhow - I'll finish these up at some point just like I always do.~
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Hood by Stephen Lawhead.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
    I haven't read that one, but I read Pinker's "Stuff of Thought", which used the structure of language to infer thngs about the way the mind works. I like his stuff. It's hard reading (at least 'Stuff' was), but very interesting. My favorite chapter was the discussion of swearing. I've run across a couple of essays on the internet by Pinker about swearing/cussing/etc. Enjoyed them a lot.
    Cool - I enjoyed "Stuff of Thought" as well, which inspired me to buy "How The Mind Works". Like the former, this one is a bit of a tough read - I started it a while back, but it got sidelined as easier books came along... Now I'm right back into it, and it's very cool. Pinker has a way of mixing in research findings that are really fascinating.

Next time we have lunch at the Burr Trail Grill, we'll have to talk books!

Next time we have lunch at the Burr Trail Grill, we'll have to talk books!
    You're on. I might be finished with my Oliver Cromwell biography by then - although I'm at the point where he's dead and buried, then dug up with his head on a spike, so maybe there's hope.

Next book on the list is called Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud. My son gave it to me to read. It should be very interesting.
    Deb

Cool - My daughter (11) read this last year, and was very keen on it. I've since seen a lot of people that surprised me reading it, and everyone has had good things to say. I'll have to give it a whirl...

Just finished In Search of the Old Ones, by David Roberts. Thanks, denaliguide, for the point-out!
    your welcome. another good one is "cowboys, cliffs and cave dwellers." fred blackburn is one ofthe authors. its about reverse archeaology and finding lost collections of the early archeaologists on cedar mesa.

my last book was "mogul" raiders of the north. sort of historical fiction about the afganistan, pakistan, india region in the years after genghis khan.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Started this one back in October. I have two books left to complete the series. I can't find the second to last one it lost itself in the move!!! I am in suspense here. Grrrr... I know it will show up soon.
    they are only the highest quality and the next one is great too.

going to start Mein kampf. then back to nerdy books with the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

The Last Season by Eric Blehm

Author chronicles the life of and search for backcountry ranger Randy Morgenson. This non-fiction book is engrossing as a good mystery, but it also is quite lyrical in its celebration of the Sierras. I've never been to Kings Canyon NP, but after reading this book, I definitely want to spend some time there.

Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

Okay, hardly a book, more of an essay but it feels like a book at the moment. Summer school sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Just finished Over the edge of the world
    Attachment 33550

Attachment 33551

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Sounds like my kinda book.... I just ordered a copy.
    Just finished this one too. I really enjoyed it. Tks for the tips in this thread.

Who has read the "The Prince?"