Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Re-reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Entertaining and insightful.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Re-reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Entertaining and insightful.
    What's that about? T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What's that about? T
    I has been a while but if I remember correctly it's a series of letters written by an old retired devil named Screwtape to his inept nephew Wormwood advising him on how best to corrupt souls.

It is, without a doubt, one of my favorites. It's short, an easier read than most of my choices, hilarious in places, and highly recommended by this bibliophile.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post
    I has been a while but if I remember correctly it's a series of letters written by an old retired devil named Screwtape to his inept nephew Wormwood advising him on how best to corrupt souls.

It is, without a doubt, one of my favorites. It's short, an easier read than most of my choices, hilarious in places, and highly recommended by this bibliophile.
    What he said. Sorry, I didn't see your question.
    Life is Good

Has anyone read this one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...SIN=1400067677

Its a top rated book on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Has anyone read this one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...SIN=1400067677

Its a top rated book on Amazon.
    You mean:

Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth [Hardcover]
    by James M. Tabor

(just helping out)

Tom

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance by Laurie Garrett
    Chere'

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (who previously authored Seabiscuit)

This is the story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who during WW2 survives a ditching in the Pacific , weeks adrift at sea, and then years of additional hardship in Japanese prison camps. The book is relentless in depicting the suffering and cruelty in the camps, but not without a welcome humourous anedote from time to time:

In Naoetsu's little POW insurgency, perhaps the most insidious fear was pulled off by Louie's friend Ken Marvin, a marine who'd been captured at Wake Atoll. At his work site, Marvin was supervised by a one-eyed civilian guard called Bad Eye. When Bad Eye asked Marvin to teach him English, Marvin saw his chance. With secret delight, he began teaching Bad Eye catastrophically bad English. From that day forward, when asked, "How are you?," Bad Eye would smilingly reply, What the **** do you care?"

Had it not been for the war, Zamperini may have broken the 4 minute mile long before Robert Bannister. His feats of survival are equally amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance by Laurie Garrett
    This was an awesome book! I bought it when it came out back in the mid-90's....and then made the mistake of lending it to some dude I briefly dated.

Never saw it again .

I just finished Good Times, by Edward Abby, and now Desert Solitaire is on my night stand.

And, this amazingly comprehensive book on the history of American tonalism painting movement (George Inness, etc.) of 1880-1920. For landscape painters and art lovers, it's a must-have. For everyone else...probably not so much .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the update.
    Hahahaha ~ Your avatar is Ram's stick-out-tongue-face? How wierd and special! ♥ :)
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

In the middle of my N'th read of Freedom of the Hills :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Print is dead.......ho hum.....boring boring to read.....reading takes away important
    hiking time. I once was asked on a date years ago by a girl and we were to read
    a book by a stream. A book by a stream? duh!! hello!! A stream can't write a book!!
    reading sux!

Except Bo and Tanya's new book when it comes out!! yeehaw.
    Hopefully lots of pictures? Can't wait.
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule View Post
    Print is dead.......ho hum.....boring boring to read.....reading takes away important
    hiking time. I once was asked on a date years ago by a girl and we were to read
    a book by a stream. A book by a stream? duh!! hello!! A stream can't write a book!!
    reading sux!

Except Bo and Tanya's new book when it comes out!! yeehaw.
    Hopefully lots of pictures? Can't wait.
    This may not be the thread for you, then.

I read books while hiking quite often. Hiking can be quite boring, even in amazing terrain. I have read books in some incredible places...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    This may not be the thread for you, then.

I read books while hiking quite often. Hiking can be quite boring, even in amazing terrain. I have read books in some incredible places...

Tom
    I too sometimes take a good book with me. Hell, beats sitting in your tent with nothing to do during a downpour.

The Giant Book of Poetry
    Edited by William H Roetzheim
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer.
    The more I read from him, the more I like him.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Finally gotten around to Stegner. Reading Big Rock Candy Mountain now. I've already got Angle on Repose on hand for when I'm done with this one.

Midnight's Children
    Manufacturing Consent
    River of Doubt
    Half the Sky

Thanks for the interesting thread. Great to have a list that goes back so many years with so many different contributors.