Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
    Its the story of what happened to SEAL Team 10 in Afganistan.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Amazing book! The guy tells it very well and it gets pretty intense.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Just finished "A Feast For Crows" (Book 4 in Games of Thrones series) and "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell, which I consider to be on one of the most compelling and unique novels in our time. Brilliant. Can't wait to see what they talented directors and actors do with the movie when its released in October.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Great book! I read it in the early 1990's. I was just talking about this book Saturday night. Our conversation was about how much has changed in society over the last 25 years. Enjoy
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I have been. After reading Cloud Atlas I did some internet searching and stumbled across a blog that talked about relabeling such works as "Conceptual Fiction". Margaret Atwood was at the top of his list of successful works in that genre. So far the other books on that list have been my most enjoyable and though provoking novels.

Also just read "The Night Circus", which I highly recommend. The author handles the idea of magic with immense grace and the plot is well executed. Reminded of me of my multiple visits to Burning Man and the authentic sense of the surreal.

What book are you currently reading?

I have been. After reading Cloud Atlas I did some internet searching and stumbled across a blog that talked about relabeling such works as "Conceptual Fiction". Margaret Atwood was at the top of his list of successful works in that genre. So far the other books on that list have been my most enjoyable and though provoking novels.

Also just read "The Night Circus", which I highly recommend. The author handles the idea of magic with immense grace and the plot is well executed. Reminded of me of my multiple visits to Burning Man and the authentic sense of the surreal.
    Conceptual Fiction; interesting. Thanks for the link. When you have finished the book, I will share the context of the Saturday night conversation. :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Got turned onto Jo Nesbo a few weeks back. He's a Norwegian author, writes some gritty, dark murder/cop stuff. So I'm reading The Snowman now and it's excellent. Already ordered the other books in the series. Can't wait.

I also want to start up another LONG fantasy series. I've read all the normal stuff (good kind, weis,Martin, Jordan, and brooks).

Might start up the Jordan series or good kind series again unless you guys have a good recommendation for something new.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Got turned onto Jo Nesbo a few weeks back. He's a Norwegian author, writes some gritty, dark murder/cop stuff. So I'm reading The Snowman now and it's excellent. Already ordered the other books in the series. Can't wait.

I also want to start up another LONG fantasy series. I've read all the normal stuff (good kind, weis,Martin, Jordan, and brooks).

Might start up the Jordan series or good kind series again unless you guys have a good recommendation for something new.
    Have you read Dan Simmon's stuff? Someone turned me onto his Hyperion Cantos series and I found it entertaining and compelling. Its a sci-fi/fantasy series. He has also won awards for several of his other series, like Ilyium/Olympos, which play in different fantasy genres. Very different than Martin, the only author I have read amongst those you mentioned. I have never read anyone with the detail of Martin that I enjoyed as much. His style is unique. I am new to fantasy though.

Just finished "The Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Seuss. (Well, actually my 4-yr-old had to read it to me cuz I had some trouble with the bigger words). That krazy tall-hatted cat is one big pain in the arse!! He claims he'll come back, but I hope he doesn't.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I just finished the Eragon / Inheritance series and thought it was pretty good (but not great).
    I just finished the first Beyonders Book and liked it, but it seems like Brandon Mull takes a long time to get his series started (I loved the FableHaven series but the first book was too slow for me).

I also just finished the first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series. So far the Ranger's Apprentice is the best series I have started this summer and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books (but I have to wait to read them aloud with my wife).

As you can tell, I like young-adult fiction :)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Have you read Dan Simmon's stuff? Someone turned me onto his Hyperion Cantos series and I found it entertaining and compelling. Its a sci-fi/fantasy series. He has also won awards for several of his other series, like Ilyium/Olympos, which play in different fantasy genres. Very different than Martin, the only author I have read amongst those you mentioned. I have never read anyone with the detail of Martin that I enjoyed as much. His style is unique. I am new to fantasy though.
    Martin definitely has his own style. I've read a ton of fantasy and when I first read him I thought he wasn't really fantasy. But in the end I read all three books (that he had written at the time) and thinking of re-reading the series to read the two new books.

I'm going to check out the Cloud Atlas book.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Cloud Atlas is distinct as well. I don't know of anyone that has intermingled so many genres into one narrative like Mitchell did.

Heads up...the first two chapters don't resemble anything like fantasy. Without giving much away, I didn't enjoy the first chapter until the end.

Will be interesting to see what others think of his book. I really don't know how to describe it or categorize it, except for the Conceptual Fiction idea which seems to be used by a small # of people.

As far as Martin, I only discovered him recently and loved the first four novels thus far in the "Fire and Ice" series. I haven't started a Dance with Dragons yet but look forward to the plot thickening. I just saw that there seven books planned for the series which means he must still be working on the sixth.

His style took a 100 pages to get adjusted to. He is rather verbose (pot or kettle?) but you learn quickly how important every work and dialog is needed for him to paint the vivid and deep story he has. I foresee myself rereading that series a few times in my life.

On my visit to the states this summer i picked up Ranger Confidential by Andrea Lankford which i liked.
    It gives a glimps in the life of a nps ranger and makes you appreciate the rangers a bit more, since they're not always that popular around here.

16. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I just finished the Eragon / Inheritance series and thought it was pretty good (but not great).
    I just finished the first Beyonders Book and liked it, but it seems like Brandon Mull takes a long time to get his series started (I loved the FableHaven series but the first book was too slow for me).

I also just finished the first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series. So far the Ranger's Apprentice is the best series I have started this summer and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books (but I have to wait to read them aloud with my wife).

As you can tell, I like young-adult fiction :)
    Just got a coupon code to get the first Eragon ebook for free. Curious to try it.

I'm reading this right now - anyone else read it? Would like to discuss with someone who has.

Attachment 58236

http://www.independent.org/store/book.asp?id=72

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Do Americans have a constitutional right to bear arms? Or is this power vested solely in government? Recent years have seen a sea change in scholarship on the Second Amendment. Beginning in the 1960s, a view emerged that individuals had a

19. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    I'm reading this right now - anyone else read it? Would like to discuss with someone who has.

Attachment 58236

Oooo! Looks interesting! Lemme know if it's any good, you spicy little pony head. :)
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I just started the Sword of Truth series and am so far really enjoying it.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I just started the Sword of Truth series and am so far really enjoying it.
    I read up to pillars (the 7th book) years ago but the caught up and now there are another 4 books. Ive been contemplating reading the series again. Liked it a lot.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Just finished reading a Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, and currently Reading the newest Terry Brooks. All great authors.

I'm reading Steven Pinker's new book 'The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence has Declined'. It's a long book, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it, but I think it's an extremely good book. It's not as much work to read as some of his other books ('How the Mind Works' and 'Stuff of Thought'), but it might be more important, at least in my opinion. The book includes an impressive amount of data with some decent analysis behind it, and in reading his detailed ideas about why he thinks violence has declined, I've learned more about Enlightenment thinkers, economic and political theory than I did in my college Humanities class (although that class might have given some important background in reading this book).

A lot of what Pinker discusses in this book has some direct relevance to many of the threads in this forum, at least the ones in the basement.

Pretty amazing book. I'm more impressed with this book than I was with Jared Diamond's 'Guns, Germs,and Steel', and I thought that one was a masterpiece.
    Deb