Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Two from under the x-mas tree:

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown

[I][B]G

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    If you haven't read War and Peace, it is really, really good.
    It was considered but after discussions with my sis and another friend, it was narrowed down to Anna Karenina or Crime and Punishment. I'll start the latter after another 15 pages in this issue of Outside. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Wednesday.

One time I was told to use a 3x5 card as a bookmark and to keep track of all the characters in War and Peace. Sis agrees. Do you?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post
    One time I was told to use a 3x5 card as a bookmark and to keep track of all the characters in War and Peace. Sis agrees. Do you?
    Or you could watch the Masterpiece Theater adaptation from I-don't-remember-when, starring Anthony Hopkins. It may not help with keeping track of the thousands of secondary characters, but might help with the hundreds of main characters (I read it in high school, during my world history class - took six weeks).
    Deb

Just finished Catch 22 which is one of my favorite books now!

Currently reading The Golden Spruce by John Vaillant

An autobiography by Bill Hickman called Brigham's Destroying Angel. Very interesting read available for free on google books at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IVP...epage&q&f=true
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    some good ones here, need a new book to read so I am going to have to look for a good outdoor/ climbing/ cycling related to something like that book.
    I'm reading Shackleton by Roland Huntford. It's a good read for the winter.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

... it was narrowed down to Anna Karenina or Crime and Punishment.
    I recently finished Crime and Punishment. I enjoyed it. Which did you decide to read?

I use a 3x5 card-- not only when I read a book like War and Peace-- but almost ANY book I read from the library, and I write notes on the end-papers if it's a book I own. My wife says I do it because I'm a nerd. I do it to keep track of events, people, and relationships in the book.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Strange Justice: the Selling of Clarence Thomas by Jane Mayer and Jill Abramson

Wow, great book, but sad. Is about the whole Anita Hill / Clarence Thomas thing. I picked it up because from Clarence's biography, it becomes clear that is one really messed up angry dude. This book confirms it. Other characters that come off really, really bad: Joe Biden. What a four-faced liar!

Recommended.

Tom

It was considered but after discussions with my sis and another friend, it was narrowed down to Anna Karenina or Crime and Punishment. I'll start the latter after another 15 pages in this issue of Outside. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Wednesday.

Could. I think the problem is that the Russian names all "sound the same". I think it depends on how much time you can put in, and how continuously. W&P is a long book and takes a while to read. If you only put in an hour or two a week, you should take notes. Notes could also help in getting the pantheon of main characters to stay distinct. Or just read it, and stop worrying about it. What EVER!

Tom

[QUOTE=Moose Droppings;425153]Two from under the x-mas tree:

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown

[I][B]G

Name:  6010702_5709735_290&.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  17.7 KB

This has been a really good read.

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    I recently finished Crime and Punishment. I enjoyed it. Which did you decide to read?
    Given a recent turn of events at work, I picked up a real page turner: Electric Motors and Drives, Fundamentals, Types, and Applications. I know more about induction motor theory than anybody else there but that doesn't add up to much. Being the only one around able to predict how proposed engineering changes will affect performance will make me even more irreplaceable.

(Humility is the one skill I still haven't mastered. )

I'm about halfway through, maybe 4-5 weeks left to finish it. Then I'll tackle Crime and Punishment.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

GI picked up a real page turner: Electric Motors and Drives, Fundamentals, Types, and Applications.
    Sounds like a real page-turner! Enjoy!

Death in the West: Fatal Stories from America's Last Frontiers by Chris Becker. Don't read this one if you are in danger of becoming a couch potato It will push you right over the edge.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Quote Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
    Death in the West: Fatal Stories from America's Last Frontiers by Chris Becker. Don't read this one if you are in danger of becoming a couch potato It will push you right over the edge.
    If you enjoyed that book or have any interest in the development of the early American west, I'd highly suggest Men to Match My Mountains; http://www.iblist.com/book58053.htm

I love that book.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Just finished luttels' Lone Survivor. A book about the redwing mission in afganistan. Basically its about how a team of seals lost all but one member on a mission gone bad. The last guy crawls through thr mtns to survive while reaping holy hell on the pussy taliban bitches.

A very good read. Now im starting kings newest book.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
    If you enjoyed that book or have any interest in the development of the early American west, I'd highly suggest Men to Match My Mountains; http://www.iblist.com/book58053.htm

I love that book.
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Just reading War by Sebastian Junger. It's written by a reporter who traveled to the Korengal Valley in Eastern Afghanistan and stayed in one of the deadliest zones in the war. There is great documentary "Restrepo" which shows his actual footage of time spent with these guys as well as interviews with them. It's one of the best books I've read in a while-.

Nelsoncc, I read Lone Survivor as well. It's another of my favorites.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

I'm reading "This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin. Fascinating stuff about the how and why of our brain's reaction to music.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Just finished In Search of the Ancient Ones. Really enjoyed it. I picked it up used off Amazon for under a buck! For anyone interested in the Anasazi I would highly suggest it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Just reading War by Sebastian Junger. It's written by a reporter who traveled to the Korengal Valley in Eastern Afghanistan and stayed in one of the deadliest zones in the war. There is great documentary "Restrepo" which shows his actual footage of time spent with these guys as well as interviews with them. It's one of the best books I've read in a while-.

Nelsoncc, I read Lone Survivor as well. It's another of my favorites.
    Restrepo was awesome. Eye opening documentary for sure. Makes me very thankful for those who do it.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!