Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Just started with a bunch of textbooks (going back to school AWWW) mostly history as that is my major.. but I also just started another Jared Diamond book
    Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

So far it is a great read...

Also who hear is doing most of their reading in Digital format (IE Nook, Kindle, Aluratek etc)? I just switched over and it is saving me a ton of $$ on books as well as making it easier to drag around 100 books at a time without killing my back
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Excellent book - I really enjoyed it. (I may have to get out my Jared Diamond library and go through it again - The Third Chimpanzee, Guns, Germs & Steel, as well as Collapse. (I should probably also order "Why Is Sex Fun?: The Evolution Of Human Sexuality" at some point, but I'd feel so diiirrrrrtttyyyy...)

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Also who hear is doing most of their reading in Digital format (IE Nook, Kindle, Aluratek etc)? I just switched over and it is saving me a ton of $$ on books as well as making it easier to drag around 100 books at a time without killing my back
    Not me - I'm still an old fashioned paper guy. The idea of reading on a device like that just doesn't appeal to me. I looked at a friend's Kindle, and just wasn't impressed. I can't see myself changing over, at all - but never say never, I guess...

Thanks for the heads-up on "The Hunger Games". I have about 60 pages left to go. I finally forced myself to put it down at midnight last night. I've enjoyed the lighter reading after just finishing "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played With Fire". The characters in those two books are some of the more fascinating ones I've read about in a novel in quite some time, but the "F" bombs all over the place (particularly in the 2nd book) put me off.
    Are we there yet?

My opinion has changes. Stay away from the Hunger Games!

I loved HungerGames & Catching Fire. They were so much fun to read and I rated them on par with Harry Potter for the excitement they gave me.

We just finished book 3 and I hated it. It was slow starting, then it got pretty good, and then it totally missed the mark (in my opinion).

Mockingjay was so horribly graphic in gruesome deaths, unnecessary slaughtering of children, and the joy of the other 2 books that I wish I had never heard of the series. Because now when I think of the Hunger Games I won't think of how much I enjoyed Peeta, or the excitement of their survival. I will think of the horrible things in the 3rd book.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I wouldn't recommend Charles Bukowski's book, Women, to very many people either. It was an entertaining read at times and pointed out some interesting observations about the fairer sex and their apparent obsession with fame, fortune, keeping up with the Joneses, or lack thereof but it was a bit graphic for my tastes and lacked sufficient substance to leave me feeling like I'd read anything the least bit profound.

[FONT=Verdana]I just started on another bit of a jag into politics, philosophy, religion, and ethics with Myths America Live By, by Richard Hughes. It
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post
    It’s yet another book that will likely reinforce the communist label I’ve been branded with by the fundamentalist, bible thumping, self-righteous, jingoist, nationalistic absolutist right wing nut jobs I work with.
    Huh - you work at Bogley?

I didn't know anybody at Bogley actually worked. They always seem to have so much playtime on their hands.

Do they also mistakenly believe that citizens in the original 13 colonies never paid taxes? Or that income tax rates are higher now than they were under Truman/Kennedy? Or that the founding fathers were all militant Puritans and Protestants instead of Deists?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Huh - you work at Bogley?

Warhammer 40,000: Eisenhorn

...yes, I'm a bit of a geek like that

The Last Seson, by Eric Blehm. Book about Randy Morgensen and his life and love of being a backcountry ranger and how he got lost. One of the best books I have ever read, very good read especially if you are into Krakauer type books. Highly Reccomend it. 5 flaming turds on the scale of 1-5

Lance Armstrongs War, good book about his comeback and a little more insight into his real personality. I give this 3 flaming turds.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

i need to read the last season. i remember reading the article about him in outside mag i think it was? anyways, this summer we met a couple rangers who worked with him in sequoia. tragic story indeed.

thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

The Red Tent which I am reading now, and is really good: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Tent-Novel...0524539&sr=1-1

The book-on-ipod I am listening to is wonderfully narrated.

but... people like different things...

Tom

I just finished listening to The Red Tent - incredibly enjoyable book! I find myself overwhelmed at such a different way of looking at life.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Not me - I'm still an old fashioned paper guy. The idea of reading on a device like that just doesn't appeal to me. I looked at a friend's Kindle, and just wasn't impressed. I can't see myself changing over, at all - but never say never, I guess...
    I absolutely agree with you. I will never change. Yup. I said "never".

And right now I'm reading book two of The Hunger Games series. Good call by you.

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

Quote Originally Posted by Ride On View Post
    The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan
    I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    I'm sorry.

I'm pretty much over Jordan's books. Though we did name our son after one of his characters...

I'm reading Percy Jackson, The Olympians, & The Lightning Thief. So far it has been a fun read. The author has a fun first person writing style.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post

I'm pretty much over Jordan's books. Though we did name our son after one of his characters...
    Well, they were okay...but he introduced far too many characters to keep track of, and never finished the series. I guess Barry Sanderson is finishing it off for Jordan who died a few years ago. The last couple of books of his that I read in that series (10 and 11, I think) went virtually no where through over 1000 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Well, they were okay...but he introduced far too many characters to keep track of, and never finished the series. I guess Barry Sanderson is finishing it off for Jordan who died a few years ago. The last couple of books of his that I read in that series (10 and 11, I think) went virtually no where through over 1000 pages.
    I agree. I think I got through book 5 or 6 and gave up. He'd start a storyline I found interesting, go elsewhere, then not come back to it for a couple hundred pages. Way too tedious without much happening.
    Are we there yet?

I like them so far I'm now on the 3rd one and still liking them
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"