Thread: TR:- Roost -: Colonnade Arch, Bow Knot Bend, Moonshine Wash

TR:- Roost -: Colonnade Arch, Bow Knot Bend, Moonshine Wash

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for all the pics

Awesome pictures! It looks like the weather was just about perfect. Did you drive in from Green River, or from Highway 24? How were the main roads?

I've been wanting to hike to Colonnade Arch for several years, and I might be able to make it down this weekend if the weather holds out and nothing else comes up. I also want to hike from the air strip (west of Moonshine) down to The Cone--that area just looks awesome in Google Earth.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice TR--THX

very cool. is that the arches officila name ? i've been therre before but wasn't aware of a name.
    signature

We drove in on the maze road, then past horse shoe road, and on to the keg knoll road. Only the last mile or so of the keg springs road would require a HCV. Everything else was fine... a bit of sand here and there.

Pretty sure that is the official name, If this is incorrect please let me know.

Wait! Is he shooting at those pronghorn?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Wait! Is he shooting at those pronghorn?

Sorry Mr. Dacca, No animals were killed on this trip.

Hi!

Thanks to your thread here I got interested in that part of the Swell. Meanwhile I tried to get some information for my next vacation 'cos I'd liike to see the arch and the narrows. The arch is also known as Five Hole Arch.

Great stuff. Makes me want to get back out there and do these trails. Thanks for sharing, really nice pix.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Wow! Amazing Stuff! Going to make that area a goal this year for a trip.
    Your pictures and TR are fantastic! Thanks!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Have to get back to this one, 'cos I'm just preparing some TOPOmaps for the region. Summit, I hope you read this or anyone else who's been doing the tour. It should be possible to hike to Moonshine Wash and Colonade Arch the same day, isn't it? If starting early enough...
    Probably it's best to do Moonshine first and the arch afterwards or better the other way round?

Quote Originally Posted by jolly
    It should be possible to hike to Moonshine Wash and Colonade Arch the same day, isn't it? If starting early enough...
    Probably it's best to do Moonshine first and the arch afterwards or better the other way round?
    You can do both in a day and a gps would be very helpful. The side roads can be pretty faint and easy to miss out there.

I would suggest doing the arch first. Its an open country hike so it would be best to do it early so you can beat or absorb the heat depending on the time of year. If you have a HCV you should be able to make it to the WSA boundary from there its less then a mile to the arch.
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1722873

For Moonshine I suggest you follow the Climb-Utah route http://climb-utah.com/Roost/moonshine.htm
    While the more open areas of the canyon are nice if your short on time your not missing out on much. The climb-utah route will get your directly to the goods.

Have a great trip! Please come back and share your pictures.

Hi!

Thanks for your answer.
    GPS is no problem, we do have that and also a HCV.
    We still can think about where to go first. Often in slot canyons best time to photograph is in the morning, that's why I mainly thought it might be best to go there first.
    I'll post our experience here, but won't be there before middle May.

Fantastic stuff. Will have to put this on my list.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Anyone been out to this area lately? I have always wanted to check it out.

Sorry about the missing TR. I did a major overhaul of my flickr account a few years back and It jacked up a lot of these old TR's.
    anyways... I was out at colonnade this past spring http://summit42.com/wp/capitolreef52010

Killer...Thanks for the link! Much appreciated.