Thread: Bitter Ridge/Nevada

Bitter Ridge/Nevada

Hello there!

here is the link for the rest of the pictures:

http://usera.imagecave.com/mochajo/yadda/

Just spent a day hiking along the rocky sandstone formations at Bitter Ridge; located southwest of Whitney Pockets Lake Meade Wilderness Area, east shore across the lake from Valley of Fire State Park.
    You see, the matrix at Valley of fire doesn't just abruptly end on the west bank of Lake Meade. Nope, there are hidden pockets of gargoyle hoodoos, basalt flows, white lime canyons, and swirled rocks with drainages that turn into small, deep canyons with sheer dropoffs.
    The area is accessed by taking the Bunkerville Riverside exit which is about 9 miles south of Mesquite, Nevada on I-15. From there, cross the Virgin River and take the first hard right onto a patch job road of asphalt for 25 miles to Whitney Pockets. From there, start exploring every road that you can! One will take you over Whitney Pass with a breathtaking view of the Overton Arm of Lake Meade. Another will take you to Gold Butte, finland, Lime Canyon, and Devils throat.

But, I took the road to the right just as you enter the pockets. This will take you to several outcroppings with AMAZING petroglyph panels that you will just have to check out for yourself. Do some exploring. The access road is very rough. If you take it all the way to the lake shore, you may, at times, drag the back bumper.

This lonesome country is amazing! Truly a destination for solitude.
    Swirled, pink, yellow, red and white sandstone are a treat.
    This land where Uranium, Gold, and silver prospectors sniffed around were preceded by cowboys, Nevada buckaroos, Mexican slave traders,
    and Ancient Native Americans. There is a mixed bag as far as access goes. ATV trails eventually peter out leaving some amazing landscape to journey across on foot. Winter, spring, and fall are perfect. Avoid summer.....brutal.... you probably won't be able to carry enough water to make the miles there are to discover.

So, check out Whitney pockets area. Explore. Try each and every access road. When they butt up against wilderness area/no vehicle access, park and walk across the slickrock. You won't be disappointed.
    No fee, no hassles. Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome report That is an amazing winter destination, I went for the first time in February and only saw a small portion of the country. I will definitely have to go back this winter.

http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5508

This area has been high on my places to explore for a long time.

Bogley BigShot
    Looks Great!

Bo tells me good things about you!

Welcome

Thanks for the great TR. We've been out there twice so far and it is indeed an awesome area. My last trip was out to the Tramp Mine with a fellow from Mesquite. We plan on going there a few times this Winter.

Win

View from up at the mine:

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Thanks, all!
    Wow, Nice pictures fourtycal! That is the best way to see that area.

Hi, Iceaxe! you bet! come on down! I don't know how long it will remain this way, or what the plans of development of the Lake meade shores is.
    So, this is the best time to check it out.

Thanks, Tanya! I feel honored to be in such "famous" company.
    I have friends up in British Columbia that speak volumes about the information and hikes you two have shared with all of us. Thanks!

Thanks, Win! nice picture! That's some amazing area!
    Once, I flew out of Vegas and the flight was full. I sat in the middle of a large family between two aisles. When we flew across Lake Meade Wilderness area, the father said: "wow! would ya look at that? Man, that is some ugly wasteland, kids. Nothing could survive down there!"
    Then, he laughed and everyone else laughed as they peered out of the windows. I laughed, too. I laughed the hardest....

Nice!!!