Thread: Mount Ogden - TR

Mount Ogden - TR

I wanted to get one more peak in before the snow gets to crazy.

I have wanted to get Mt. Ogden for quite a while, darn near living in its shadow for so long. I considered going via Snowbasin, but that just didn't seem right.

I put my pack on and left the Beus Canyon Trail head at 9:05 am. My goal was to do the round trip in 7 hours.

Mile one took only 30 minutes. I sat down and ate some crackers and cheese for a few minutes, then hiked to the next mile marker. This second mile, I passed nearly a dozen people. They just went up a bit further, not to the top.

Grabbing the three geocaches I haven't gotten yet between the trailhead
    and the peak, and my once-a- mile breather, I arrived on top at 1:09, and six miles behind me. I was pretty close to my goal of doing it in 7 hours. I didn't linger long on top and started down.

At the 8 mile mark, I kicked off my shoes and socks and enjoyed the sunshine just off the trail with a southern exposure. After I soaked up some rays and let my dogs air out a bit, I continues down.

I didn't linger the last one-a-mile stops, skipping the nine and ten stops. I wasn't going to make my goal! Running with my sore feet to try and make the 7 hour goal, I missed it by 8 minutes.

My moving average was 2.2mph, with the total average at 1.5mph. Traveling 10.9 miles in 7 hrs ,8 min
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool. It was probably 15 years ago I hiked that, but from Snowbasin side.

I was interested in your trip report and pics as I had hiked Mt. Ogden on the 4th, just two days before you did it. I went up from the Snowbasin side and just only saw two others all day. A bit of snow near the upper portion made the hike a bit more enjoyable. I'll have to go back and hike it from the west side sometime. Some great views from up there.