Thread: South Canyon Invite 11/8-11/12

South Canyon Invite 11/8-11/12

I know it's short notice but have two open spots on a permit - now it's down to me & my cousin from Phoenix for South Canyon (Grand Canyon/Marble Canyon area) - the nights are 11/9 & 11/10 So drive Thursday afternoon into the night, camp around House Rock Road, descend to river on Friday, fool around down there on Saturday, hike out on Sunday and drive home into the night, or camp Sunday night then drive back on Monday. Let me know by Wednesday night - ie tomorrow, damn thats short notice. Thursday morning works too. 801.866.2528

If you want info on the trip, check out Tanya's site: http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Anyone that can... should do this! AWESOME hike! One of my favorites. Must be in good shape to go though!

one of my favorite places on planet earth as well, been there several times. are you going to do any fishing down there? oh, just in case you don't already know, make sure that everything you have is raven-proof and ring-tail cat proof!!

We're already back. It was a great trip. I had a lot of fun getting down and back out which isn't always the case in the Grand Canyon.

To protect our stuff, I climbed up to the top of the cliffs on the beach that head towards Stanton Cave, and used a rock I lodged in a hole with my rope tied around it, and dangled it over the edge to the ground and clipped the packs onto the end. They ended up being about 10' from the cliff wall and 5' off the sand.

Some rafters came (private group), and the ravens were more interested in the contents of their rafts than us. I don't know if the ravens would be able to do much to our packs dangling like that? There were no ringtails, squirrels or mice around. That was weird.
    Mike

i know that it's hard to believe but i've had those ravens actually unzip the zippers on my pack so that they could get into my stuff.

Bogley BigShot
    Where are your trip photos!

Quote Originally Posted by blarson
    i know that it's hard to believe but i've had those ravens actually unzip the zippers on my pack so that they could get into my stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Where are your trip photos! Nod
    Oh, I believe it. I've heard stories before, and know those birds are pretty smart. I'd rather have something raid my pack by unzipping it than chewing a hole through anyday.

Ok - I'll post a few pics Tanya
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Mike

Bogley BigShot
    Incredible! That is one of the best hikes on earth!!!!