Thread: Roost suggestions.

Roost suggestions.

asdf

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyon is North Fork Twin Corral Box, aka Alcatraz. It is fairly short, but has a few meaty technical sections, including a hanging keeper pothole and some sections too skinny to pass through at ground level.

Campsites are never really awesome out there, best one probably being Granary Springs, at the head of Blue John. Might be out of the way though, depending on which canyons you want to do. Shane describes a campsite near moonshine on his site, I believe.

Are you comfortable doing technical canyons, or are you looking for more non-tech variety?

Re: Roost suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Is there anything else in the area of moonshine worth checking out?
    Horseshoe Canyon is near Moonshine and should be on everyones must see list.

Horseshoe Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/horseshoe.htm

Three Canyon is a pretty easy tech route that is literally just across the road from Moonshine

Three Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/three.htm

Hey.... if you do the moonshine loop on my website get a few pictures of the old cement whiskey vats if you would. I would like a few for reference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Are you comfortable doing technical canyons, or are you looking for more non-tech variety?
    non tech variety... and i hate cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Hey.... if you do the moonshine loop on my website get a few pictures of the old cement whiskey vats if you would. I would like a few for reference.
    I need to get a CoF membership, You take paypal right? If I take the pics you can have them.
    How much would you pay for a pic some someone walking across that sheep bridge.

Re: Roost suggestions.

Is there anything else in the area of moonshine worth checking out?
    There are two places I've wanted to check out near Moonshine Wash, but never had the time because you'd need to camp overnight to hit Moonshine and these. The first is Colonnade Arch, which looks to be one of the coolest arches I've heard of. (Info from Bob's Arches,
    TopoZone Map)

The second is a cave about two miles west of the arch (TopoZone Map).

The arch and the cave are accessible from the same trailhead (TopoZone Map), which is less than 10 miles from the Moonshine Wash trailhead.

As for camping, it seemed to me that there was a good spot on the south side of the bridge over the San Rafael River, about five or six miles north of the Moonshine trailhead.

Here's a Google Earth KMZ with placemarks for all the places mentioned above, plus some pics for Ice:
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Attached Files Attached Files

What the best way to do moonshine?
    Start from the bottom (SR river) or from the top end?

What the best way to do moonshine?
    Start from the bottom (SR river) or from the top end?
    I've only done the narrows section starting from the top and going down, but it seems to me that it wouldn't be nearly as fun going up the canyon.

So... can you drive beyond the trail head you marked? I am looking on google earth and it looks there is a road that goes towards the bow knotbend and that set or arches. This may be a good area to hang out in friday night...maybe set up camp... check out the arches and get some shots of the bowknot bend before sunset. The I think we are going to spend all day saturday checking out Moonshine.

So... can you drive beyond the trail head you marked?
    I'm not sure whether you can drive farther than that. I noticed too that the road goes down the slickrock hill beyond the place I marked, but apparently that road didn't exist in 1988 when the topo map was created, so there's no telling what condition it's in. I generally assume those types of roads were created by ATVs, so I wouldn't count on being able to drive farther, but it may actually be possible.

We will be taking a '07 Tacoma, If you watch TV you should know that Tacomas can handle damn near anything! Even the loch ness monster... and dragons in the World of Warcraft I am not scared of a little ATV road.

I really have no problem hiking in from there, really just wondering if we should camp in that area.

Hey Udink.. I found this ...

Horseshoe Canyon and Keg Spring Canyon have resulted in the closure of these areas to OHV use. One way was identified in the wilderness inventory and is open to OHVs. It extends approximately 3/4 mile into the WSA east of Keg Knoll and ends at a hiking trail to a five hole arch.
    so the road must end at the WSA... where you marked the trailhead on that KMZ file.

Also.. how deep is that Cave near keg spring? Is it work checking out?
    Thanks again.

Also.. how deep is that Cave near keg spring? Is it work checking out?
    I haven't been there, so I don't know how big the cave is. It's just been on my to-do list for a couple of years. I would hope that it's fairly large--things like that usually aren't listed on topo maps unless they're significant. However, there's always the possibility that it's just a large alcove instead of a cave, so it may not be worth checking out without knowing for sure.

Thanks for the info on Colonnade Arch, it was well worth checking out. We stopped at the arch then hiked out to the Bowknot Bend. I should be able to post a TR soon.
    Thanks again!

Thanks for the info on Colonnade Arch, it was well worth checking out. We stopped at the arch then hiked out to the Bowknot Bend. I should be able to post a TR soon.
    Thanks again!
    Wow - that's pretty ding dang cool! I'll have to put it on the list!

Looking forward to a TR...