Topo! Utah - 20% off
    Wetsuits - 15% off
    Ropes - 10% off
    Sportiva Exum Rivers - 10% off
    Helmets - 15% off

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/

Thanks. Tom
    (let's move this back up to the top of the stack, just once). Tom

I'll play along. I ping you with my rope order. Great rope at a nice discount.
    Life is Good

All ropes on sale?

Which rope should I get? (first rope purchase for a noob canyoneer)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Which rope should I get? (first rope purchase for a noob canyoneer)
    Alex, when you go with me the ropes we have been using are Tom's 8mm.

The rope I use more then any other is an 8mm x 100'. If I could only buy one rope it would be an 8mm x 200'.

The 9mm ropes are a little more beginner friendly, but if you buy one you will usually end up being the guy that carries it.

So.... did that muddy the waters up for ya?

I agree with Shane. The first rope I would buy is a 200' rope also. That is the one I use the most and the one that I am going to order! I sorta wore mine out on a zip line out of Zero Gravity. That was a good time.
    Life is Good

Thanks guys. Shane, I don't mind carrying the rope, I think I mind more when I get labeled a moocher, so I'd be happy to buy the rope and tag along with you all

Is this the one?

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...&cat=23&page=1

Good price? (Tom, look the other way on this question )

That's a SMOKIN' good price, but ...

If you are a beginner, go for the 9mm. Only $14 more. Weight difference is only 2 pounds. That extra 1mm thickness makes it much more beginner friendly.

Alex, that's the rope I use. I think Tom's ropes are the best for the money. There are a couple ropes I like better but they cost a lot more.

And a word of warning.... Tom's rope (most new ropes) are really fast the first few times you use them so use a little more friction until you have the rope figured out.

When picking between 8mm and 9mm it's not the extra 2 pounds I mind as much as the extra bulk. In really skinny slots the extra bulk is more of a problem then the weight.

And no way are you a mooch Alex..... hell.... I'd pay good money to watch you work the Koreans for anther deal.

Thanks guys, just purchased the 8mm x 200m. So Shane, where are we going next?

PS: Do I need a rope bag or just stuff it into the Imlay pack?

rope bags are certainly nice. but it's good to practice properly coiling ropes.

if not using a rope bag, the rope should be coiled. and it's best to coil the rope in such a way that reduces its chances of forming knots when you toss off a drop.

If you want a Rope Bag I believe this is the one that will fit your new rope:
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...cat=255&page=1

Personally I'm not usually a fan of rope bags as I find coils easier to handle. But I think I might be in the minority. Learning to handle coils certainly takes some practice and skill where as a rope bag can be used well by just about anyone. I guess the big thing is what you feel most comfortable with.

I just finished football so I'm ready to plan a few more canyon trips.

Alright, you will have to show me the proper way to coil a rope then

Tom, thanks for posting the sale on here, you got a couple of sales out of it

Bogley BigShot

Zion?

I have a bunch of Moab stuff I've been waiting all summer to get back to....

And Alex, don't let me talk you out of a rope bag, you would probably prefer using one. They are easier..... I just learned something different to begin with and find it works better for me.

I like rope bags. but it does help to have the right size bag for the right length of rope.

Ropebags rock and are much more efficient than coiling unless you are really good at coiling. Tom's bags are a little pricey but they are BY FAR the best! They are easy to stuff by yourself and the flotation in deep potholes takes a lot of worry out of the canyon (as long as you KNOW your rope isn't heavy enough to still sink even when in the ropebag). When I was more of a noob I NEVER coiled and didn't understand why anyone would want to put up with that hassle. Now my usual practice is in Zion, where I carry long pieces of rope for the generally bigger rappels and wider canyons, I bring a ropebag, makes things run smoother since for me it's much quicker to stuff a bag with a long rope than to coil. When I am in North Wash doing the MUCH skinnier canyons with usually shorter drops the ropebag takes up WAY too much room in my pack and I always coil to cut down on pack size as much as possible. In really narrow canyons it's usually harder for me to get my pack through than myself through. If you start to get into high stemming canyons then ANYTHING you can do to save on weight is going to make life much easier. Just my 2 cents from my limited experience.

OK another question, what would be the major difference between this one:

and the one Shane posted:

They both are maid for 200 ft of rope...

OK another question, what would be the major difference between this one:

and the one Shane posted:

They both are maid for 200 ft of rope...
    The first one is made for 200 feet of 6mm pull cord, it is smaller and does not have all the features of the second. The second one you posted has a plastic ring around the top, holding it open for you while you stuff the rope. With bags that don't have the ring you pretty much need someone to hold the bag open for you while you stuff, if you don't it's a major pain. The second bag also has low density padding making it float with a 200 foot 8mm rope in it, might still float with a 200 ft. 9mm rope, I just haven't tried it. I used to use a cheaper rope bag and had partners throw it in potholes twice, glug glug it went to the bottom, luckily they were shallow enough to dive down and retrieve, but in a deeper pothole we would have been screwed, not an issue with Tom's bags. The only thing I would add Tom (I know you are preparing for Sandthrax right now, but if you read this when you get back) is a better strap for carrying the bag on its own. Once I am in the canyon I usually take the rope bag out and carry it alone so I don't have to keep rearranging my backpack (I can't just throw it in, I need my water on top). The strap on the bag works OK, but I don't think it was designed to carry alone, it's designed to sit in your pack between rappels.