Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St George Invite **November 9th - 11th**

St George Invite **November 9th - 11th**

We're heading down to St George again to do some riding and hiking.

We'll be riding at least 2 trails, probably closer to Zion, like Gooseberry and JEM, maybe we'll throw in a few quickees around St George as well

And of course, the crab buffet is a must, either in Mesquite or Las Vegas.

C'mon down and meet us on the trail.

EDIT: Here are some trails we could hit;
    JEM
    Gooseberry Mesa
    Green Valley Loop
    Church Rocks
    Broken Mesa (accadacca had a poor opinion of this, but it may have been due to the recent fire damage?)
    Slickrock Swamp (I haven't tried this, but have been curious)
    Pioneer Park - just a quickee right within St George city limits

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is the second time in a month that I've missed y'all by a week. I'm heading down to do those rides this Friday (the 2nd). We're probably going to ride Bearclaw Poppy (aka Bloomington Hill, aka Green Valley Loop), JEM, and Gooseberry. We may bail on Gooseberry and go explore around on Little Creek Mountain. It's the mesa to the south of Goose and I've heard the riding is every bit as good. Saturday we're hiking "The Subway."

I just got back from Moab. Have any of you ever ridden the UPS (Upper Porcupine Singletrack)? It's totally mind blowing. I hooked up with new member "Nielether" for the shuttle. After riding that trail I've stopped giving out Best Trail in Utah awards. That's not because I think it's the best trail in Utah, but because I've had to crown a new champion two times in the last year. The best way I can describe the UPS is that it's like Gooseberry Mesa without the work. Then it connects into the regular P-Rim right at the overlook, virtually eliminating that nasty uphill. Aside from cracking my crank bolt it was the best ride down P-Rim I've ever had.

On Saturday I rode Sovergn with Niel and his crew. I was too tired to mtn bike after that so I scrambled up Elephant Butte with some other friends. It was a totally awesome weekend, and I'm ready to turn around and do it again this Friday and Saturday in the Zion area.

TR to come.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

I am in, for sure, I plan on heading down there with the wife so I will check her schedule and would looooove to be there. I will check the posts and double check to make sure this is a go.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Bogley BigShot

I am going down for the Mtn Biking; however, the wife would enjoy hiking a little better so I may end up splitting my time with hiking/ biking or maybee some hiking in Zion? I will watch the forum and see what the plans are and go from there.

No hunting trip this time, count me in Probably bring ride-on too. crab

Sweet, we'll have a good ridin' crew this time.

I've known we'd be planning this trip for a while, but my theory is, only give about 2 weeks notice; More people seem to make it because it has more sense of urgency.

I've been scouting around at rooms, and there are plenty in the $40 range. There doesn't seem to be anything going on that weekend down south like any expos or anything, so lodging should stay cheap.

Plus, most of the biking / hiking we'll be doing is around Zion anyways, so give tanya a call. If not, Hurricane is always a decent place to stay, rather than St George; you'll be closer to the trails.

Has anybody done Broken Mesa this year? I wonder if the fire damage is gone. I know accadacca had a crappy time on this trail, but I saw a pretty sweet video on it once and it made me want to try it.

Here's the link, 36 MB download:
    http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/bm.mpg

Re: St George Invite **November 9th - 11th**

[quote="Sombeech"]We're heading down to St George again to do some riding and hiking.

What days are you planning? Would love to meet 'ya'll'!

You might like doing the "Stucki Spring to Bloomington shuttle ride? Its a fun one way roller coaster.

Stop by OO if you get the chance. Got some pretty good bargains on "Stuff"!

Bo

[quote="Bo_Beck"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    We're heading down to St George again to do some riding and hiking.

You might like doing the "Stucki Spring to Bloomington shuttle ride? Its a fun one way roller coaster.

Bo
    Oops! Guess I should read the subject! Anyhow...It'd be fun to meet you. I'll be working at OO on that saturday....1062 East Tabernacle. Drop by if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Bo
    We're currently waiting to see who will come down Thursday night, and who on Friday night; then we'll plan our rides/hikes.

That ride you mentioned, we call the Green Valley Loop, but it goes by many names. I actually try to hit that every time. I've got some sweet helmetcam footage of that ride.

What is the "OO"?

BTW, here's one of 3 videos I have of that trail:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=--bzqLHqGz4[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Bo
    We're currently waiting to see who will come down Thursday night, and who on Friday night; then we'll plan our rides/hikes.

That ride you mentioned, we call the Green Valley Loop, but it goes by many names. I actually try to hit that every time. I've got some sweet helmetcam footage of that ride.

What is the "OO"?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=--bzqLHqGz4[/youtube]
    OO is Outdoor Outlet...hiking, camping, climbing etc store where I've been employeed for the past 23 years.

I can't watch your video here at home on my super high speed 56k dial-up service but will be sure to look when I go to work in the morn. The Green Valley Loop most commonly done is the "Bear Paw Poppy" trail that starts at the Green Valley Gap and ends at Bloomington and then most folks ride the street back to the Moes Valley cut off and then the dirt road back to the Gap. Stucki Springs is NW of Green Valley kinda of south and west of Santa Clara and I'm not too sure of the distance but has a good chunk of fun single-track before intersecting with the Bear Paw Poppy. Might be worth a look-see.

If you like "technical rides", the large plateau (sloped) to the east of the Green Valley Loop has some somewhat obscure single track that Todd Perkins and Mike Nad have developed over the last 8-9 years. I personally love these trails for Trail Running (I could never stay upright on a bicycle), but they weave through some pretty incredible terrain of boulders, draws, slickrock and desert. The cliff bluffs above the Bear Paw Poppy Trail also contain quite a few sport and trad climbing routes "The Zen Wall". If you get into Bouldering? Moes Valley is also perched in a hollow to the east of the bike loop. Plenty to keep a person busy!

What is the "OO"?

Cool video! I think most of the video was shot at what I think is called the "4 fingers of death"? More than a collar bone or two has been sacrificed here! That is more or less at the start of the ride.

Stucki Springs intersects to the west of this location. I think you might enjoy the ride from Stucki?

I will be driving down on Friday Morning, be there by 10am or so and staying in Hurricane til Sunday.

I would love to ride any of those trails except broken mesa, you can have that one all for yourself, definitely the least enjoyable trail I have ever ridden and that was before the fire.

We (me and DJ) are in for bikes, hikes, climbs, crab, Vegas or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I would love to ride any of those trails except broken mesa, you can have that one all for yourself, definitely the least enjoyable trail I have ever ridden and that was before the fire.
    Good to know. Thanks.

We'll be heading down Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    It looks like I'll be able to go to this shindig....OH YEAH BABY!!!
    sweet! give me a ring or pm

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    It looks like I'll be able to go to this shindig....OH YEAH BABY!!!
    sweet! give me a ring or pm
    pm sent --

I will be driving down on Friday Morning, be there by 10am or so and staying in Hurricane til Sunday.

We (me and DJ) are in for bikes, hikes, climbs, crab, Vegas or whatever
    Where you guys going to stay? The wife might come down, but might not be able to make it so I may go solo. Just wondering where you are going to stay! I am amped up for this, looks like the weather will be nice!!