Grand Teton (Sept)

September 1, 2007.

Joe Griffen
    Jason Price
    Jason Summers
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool! I wish I had the technical skills to make such a climb. Amazing view from the top.

Nice work fellas. I hope to do this some time in the near future... In the meantime, I will envy your ascent.

Wow, that takes me back! The Grand is awesome! Looks like you guys got lucky with the weather. Seems like every time I'm up there I end up in some kind of storm.

Wall street was something else, eh?

Beautiful pictures. They have me remotivated.

I've been wanting to climb The Grand ever since that month I spent in Rexburg helping to clean up after the damn dam break.

Someday soon I'll probably just fork over the cash for a guide.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Thanks for the writeup. . .me likee.

I was there that same day. You guys passed my partner and me around the Friction pitch. I was belaying him and you guys just found a crack and flew past us. I was jealous because my partner was taking his time. Later we passed you on your way down. I chatted with you at the Sargents Couloir rappel about your RSL hat.

That was a perfect day, with no clouds in the sky we just kind of moseyed our way up.

By the way, anyone who wants to climb the Grand next year, let me know. It is worth doing many times! No guides needed, it is easier than it looks!
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    Very cool! I wish I had the technical skills to make such a climb. Amazing view from the top.
    You do.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by madsjim
    I was there that same day. You guys passed my partner and me around the Friction pitch. I was belaying him and you guys just found a crack and flew past us. I was jealous because my partner was taking his time. Later we passed you on your way down. I chatted with you at the Sargents Couloir rappel about your RSL hat.

That was a perfect day, with no clouds in the sky we just kind of moseyed our way up.

By the way, anyone who wants to climb the Grand next year, let me know. It is worth doing many times! No guides needed, it is easier than it looks!
    I remember the RSL comment but not the avatar you have posted. It must have been the sun's brightness and the fact that you had a hat on. That's pretty cool, who knew we were uUtah comrades?

I recall passing a group or two, then being surpassed by the same groups when we reached our false summit. We were so anxious to find our way to the top that we took any route that appeared promising. After friction pitch, we followed the beta to the wind tunnel then abandoned the beta. We were stuck once and had to improvise but we ran into a few aged pitons that encouraged us on.

Hopefully next year we can have the same exploration! We try for the 1st week in September so join us if you can!

Good to see you guys made it this year. Thanks for the pics.

My speed record on Upper exum

Last year I soloed the upper exum and boy let me tell you it was a long day! I went from Parking lot to summit back to parking lot in 13.5 hours. I know its not that fast but it sure beat carrying all that extra overnight gear. I'd like to try it again but this time do the exum complete. I'm confident in my trad leading abilities, just looking for someone to follow.
    Takers?
    I'm thinking early August.
    Kevin
    A good mountaineer dies in his bed.
    I'm always looking for rock or ice route info and a partner.

Re: My speed record on Upper exum

Quote Originally Posted by climbinghalfdome
    Last year I soloed the upper exum and boy let me tell you it was a long day! I went from Parking lot to summit back to parking lot in 13.5 hours. I know its not that fast but it sure beat carrying all that extra overnight gear. I'd like to try it again but this time do the exum complete. I'm confident in my trad leading abilities, just looking for someone to follow.
    Takers?
    I'm thinking early August.
    Kevin
    I really want to climb the Grand this year although I have no trad climbing experience. I have led low 11's sport climbing just no experience placing gear. I'd really like to make a trip up to the PNW in August, but if I can swing both I might be interested.

Somehow I missed this thread in the past..... nice work guys.

Yep

Whats the PNW?
    Trad climbing is all about leading on solid ground, and placing gear. Freedom of the hills is the most extencive guide on how to place gear I've yet seen.
    In my opinion the best way to learn to place gear is to follow someone for a while who knows, that way you can see how the pieces fit into the rock and how to remove them.
    A well placed piece is solid when fallen on and easy to remove by the second. If your clipping up 11's then Exum complete should be Cake.
    Kevin

Re: Yep

Quote Originally Posted by climbinghalfdome
    Whats the PNW?
    Pacific North West.

I have the freedom of the hills book, just not a big fan of figuring this stuff out on my own, I would rather read up on what is safe and what isn't then actually have someone show me how it's done. Thinking of taking a class or something this year.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Thinking of taking a class or something this year.
    When I got back into climbing (mid 90's) after being away from the sport for almost 20 years I hired Exum of Utah for two days to get me back up to speed. it was well worth the coin.

Anyone Tried the East Ridge?

I was on summitpost and was looking at the description and it sounds like its up my alley. Bold long 5.6 -5.7 climbing. I've been looking for ways to avoid the hoards of people that swarm up Garnet Canyon and I know that 90+% of the Grands traffic is on the Exum Ridge and Owen Spalding.
    What do you think?
    Kevin