Thread: Bryce or Zion

Bryce or Zion

I have been in Utah for 5 years, my wife for 31. I have been to many great desert places but never to Zion or Bryce. This has typically been because we go to the Swell, Canyonlands or other places with more solitude. I know there are tons of places that are great down there but we haven't made the commitment. My parents are here from Michigan and we are going down there this weekend and I need to decide which to go to. They have been there before but didn't do much outside of the car. We could do some hikes with water but definitely nothing remotely technical.

We are looking for a few hikes (2-4 hours) and really good scenery. I am an amateur photographer and am always looking for great spots. I have seen many great picks inside narrow canyons in Zion but all of the outside shots of the canyon that I have seen have not been as impressive (Big walls like you also see in Canyonlands, Swell etc.) Bryce seems to have the unique hoodoos and has obvious photo charm but I have not heard of great hikes there (I am sure there are a few). Can you guys give me your opinions on this?

Also, if we go to Bryce i want to get good sunrise/sunset shots and thought maybe you guys would know of decent spots where the sun comes in just right. Or if the sun is great early/late at Zion i would like to hear about it.

Thanks

Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hate to choose just one. Here are my thoughts to help you decide.

Bryce--Great views from roadside overlooks, plus great hikes below the rim. You get descriptions, then choose which hike or combination of hikes you are up to. I have never quite made it for sunrise, but there is an overlook called Sunrise Point...must be decent. I've fretted that it might be too much direct view of the sun at that overlook, so others might also be worth considering. A peek at the map should help decide, once you know where sunrise occurs. This time of year, there could be snow up there, maybe locals can give current conditions.

Zion--Great views without leaving the car, or great hikes of varying degrees of difficulty. Best ones are quite strenuous, may be too much for her parents. Not a good time to do the Zion Narrows or others that require you to get wet. Sunrise is always magical around here, but you need to get your spot. Some places in the canyon just don't see the sun until it's high. This time of year you can drive through the canyon, unless you just choose to ride the shuttle.

Bottom line--Can't go wrong either way.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Stan is right, hard to choose one.

Bryce is good for one day and will give you better opportunities for Sunrise and Sunset shots. I liked Inspiration Pt for Sunset. Hiking out of the canyon is strenuous any way you do it. Maybe a side trip to Red Canyon a few miles West of Bryce and a hike of the Pink Ledges Trail would give a good "in canyon" flavor. Very photogenic.

Zion has the shuttle running until 10/29 and that would make for nice easy viewing of the main canyon. Haven't been there this week but the trees should be turning and will make for some great photos. Easy hikes would be the River Walk (not into the Narrows), Lower Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock, Court of the Patriarchs. Parus Trail from VC would be nice in the evening.

Check out Tanya's and Bo's site:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Bryce has a massive instant WOW!!! factor and is awesome for a day or two.

Zion takes a little longer, is not as instantly striking and takes years to to uncover all it's secrets.

After a couple days in Bryce you will be happy you visited but not in a big hurry to get back. Zion grows on you and you will find yourself pining to get back.

So.... you looking for a one night stand/weekend fling.... or.... you looking for a long term relationship?

I'm going to vote for Zion. I bet you'll find more solitude this time of year and the hikes won't kill you since its not 90 degrees out. There are some really fun/pretty easy trails that lead to cool things like emerald pools, weeping rock,etc.

What about a different park like Arches. There are a ton of easy hikes there and you get to see awesome arches. Sorry to throw in another option but I was thinking if I had family from out of state I would probably do Arches for a couple days then Zion for a couple.

whatever you choose it will be awesome scenery so it's a win/win.
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks guys,

Arches was in the thought process. I have actually never been there either for the same reasons but I know I need to. We could definitely go there. We have been in the area many times before but never in park. As far as the one night stand goes, I am sure I will spend time in each of these parks in the future but right now it will be a one night stand. No cuddling either. Neither my wife or I can get any time off so it is only a weekend trip. I think any way we go will be a great experience.

Above was mentioned the river walk, does this require walking through the river or just along side of it. I would be down to do this as long as we got the right gear (waterproofing required?)

So.... which is better... Blondes, Brunettes or Red Heads.

In general, what Iceaxe said--but it does not take long at all for Zion to grow on you. Its scale is very much larger than Bryce and it never disappoints. By far Utah's most interesting park IMO (followed by Arches and CR).

In bad weather, go to Zion. Rain produces waterfalls everywhere, some tall and others small. Bryce on the other hand is high and will be quite cold and possibly snowy, making hiking difficult. At Bryce, Inspiration and Bryce points are good overlooks for side light, and any of the trails below the rim glow pink early in the day. Navajo Loop alone or connected with Queens Garden are two of the most popular and scenic trails. For photography, early to late morning is definitely the best time at Bryce, as the whole amphitheater faces east.

In Zion, the Northgate Peaks trail on the Kolob Terrace has nice evening light looking in several directions, and the KT road itself is quite popular with photographers. The main canyon has a great many spots. If the shadows last too long for you there the walls in the east canyon are not quite as huge. The Riverwalk requires no wading and is lovely in any kind of weather, although in clear weather it glows red with reflected light in the afternoon this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst
    Above was mentioned the river walk, does this require walking through the river or just along side of it. I would be down to do this as long as we got the right gear (waterproofing required?)
    If you are talking about the Zion narrows it is in the river 90% of the time. Zion Adventure Center rents pants and walking sticks to use on the hike. It gets pretty deep in some spots but mostly knee deep.

Cirrus' TR from the narrows. It should help. http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic...r=asc&start=15
    The man thong is wrong.

The Riverwalk is the paved trail along the Virgin back to where you enter to hike up the Narrows. You will surely need wetsuits this time of year if you're going in the water!

Check at the VC in Zion for the short hike to Petroglyph Canyon on the East side. Also, on the East side is the short Canyon Overlook trail next to the tunnel. The East side is my favorite area.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

So many great comments on both! I agree, it is difficult to choose.
    How about snowshoes? Bryce with snowshoes is very intimate!
    You will rarely see anyone under the rim, at all. And, after a big snow, you may even be lucky enough to be the first ones to cut the trail. Also, in deep snow cover, you are permitted to leave the trail at some points and walk right up to some hoodoos that you normally wouldn't be able to access in the drier months due to impact/ erosion. So, why not rent some snowshoes at your local sporting goods store and give it a shot?
    The hoodoos and arches sprinkled with Utah powder look unbelievable!

Check with the park for rules and access. They may close off the whole bottom of the canyon due to melting snow and avalanche conditions.

cheers!

Good point, we almost went down last winter on a weekend like that. I know it will be pretty cold there this weekend but is there any snow? We are leaving tomorrow morning and really have not decided yet, but at least we have plenty of things to do at all the parks thanks to you guys.

Thomas