Thread: Yant Flat/ Pine mtn overlook

Yant Flat/ Pine mtn overlook

Greetings!

Yant Flat is located on the south benches of Pine Mtn in southern Uath just north of the huge Wal*Mart Distribution Center along I-15 between St. George, Utah and Hurricane. This amazing perch made up of a series of slickrock bowls connected together between bordered by two deep canyons on the west and east. This moderate hike will take four hours.
    One hour to reach the overlook, and two hours to run amock in the slickrock bowls that feel like a hanging valley of sorts.

Here is the link for the rest of the pictures; including a pretty mean looking rattlesnake.

http://usera.imagecave.com/mochajo/

The access is located past the Danish Ranch on the forest service dirt road that travels from Leeds past Oak Grove Campground and on to St. George. The road is excellent up to the area of the hike. Beyond that, it climbs a ridge and deteriorates to a lumpy road with basalt chunks lying freely in the roadway and ledges with sharp lava jutting out of the roadway all the way to the turkey farm before calming back down for its final 4 mile trek into St. George's old Industrial drive area above the old hwy 91 tunnel.

The hike begins roadside and requires some route finding as you walk up a main drainage to a hillside that climbs to the amazing overlook.
    A wrong turn, and you will end up in one of the deep canyons. Staying always on the high ground will bring you to the overlook. I didn't get gps coords. but would be willing to lead a hike up there. What a great place!
    Very much like Snow Canyon State Park without any fees or prescribed trails. Dixie Natl forest land, too! A win win hike.

Cheers! jerry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, that looks like a fun place to play. Thanks for sharing. The last time I was in that area, I wanted to do some light hiking but didn't know where to go--now I know for next time.

That snake sure does look angry--what did you do to it?!

Nice album, thanks for sharing. Lucky you saw the snake before you felt it.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

That looks like a very cool area. Are those canyons slot canyons? How long are they? Thanks for the TR and pics.
    The man thong is wrong.

That looks like neat hike. There is so much in that area including the Red Cliffs Reserve. Have you hiked out to the arch by Danish Ranch?

A friend told me to be careful in that area of rattlesnakes.
    You've confirmed it.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Hi, Win! You bet! That arch is un-nambed, I believe? Also not on the forest service map.

Hi, Jaxx! wait! Hi-jaxx? too funny! Yes, there are some canyons in the
    5 sq mile area that have some short slots with deep pouroffs that would require roping down into. Mostly west of Heath wash on the map is a labyrinth of white slickrock along yant flat that has some deep crevices.
    If a person went, there would be on and off again slot action until it peters out in the desert preserve.

Hi, Udink, Sparker1
    What a great area! No park fees, etc. wide open accessible area.
    Gets prettier in the winter when Pine Mtn has some snow on it.
    I heard this hissing sound that was very quiet, at first. Didn't think it was a rattler. I thought my camelback was leaking on the ground?
    Then, another step and it really rattled about 4 ft to the left and front of me! It was coiled, standing up on coil to better see me beyond the little bush I was at. It wouldn't back down! So, I carefully looked to make sure there weren't any kissin cousins right behind me, as well, and moved in as close as I dared to snap a picture. It never uncoiled. I backed away, and left it alone. whew! I have seen at least 4 of them this year whilst out and about.

Glad you liked the Trip report. Heading over to Snow Canyon's Red Mtn Trail tomorrow with Cirrus 2000. The slickrock on the west rim is amazing!

thanks for the info!
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Wonderful photos and Trip Report! Waiting for more stuff from you!