Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Hollow SAR

Death Hollow SAR

3 hikers plucked off ledge
    Helicopter saves trio stranded more than two days in Escalante canyon

By Mark Havnes - The Salt Lake Tribune

ESCALANTE - Cold and wet is how Mike Macy described being stranded for more than two days on a ledge in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

Macy, 30, Clarkston, Mich.; and hiking companions Fred Harsh, 32, Lehi; and Brad Crawford, 29, Annapolis, Md.; were rescued Tuesday morning by a helicopter from their lofty perch a day after being spotted from the air.

"The pilot touched one skid of the helicopter on the ledge and we got on board," said Macy after being dropped off with the others at the Escalante Airport about noon.

The trio started hiking on Thursday and planned to return two days later, but soon discovered that they had been dropped off by a guide at the wrong trailhead and they found themselves in Death Hollow Canyon.

After consulting their maps, the three plotted out a route to connect with the Boulder Mill Trail that they wanted to be on originally, but about 2:30 p.m. things started to turn bad.

"We hit water pools about 30 feet long and five feet deep," said Harsh. "We'd get across one pool and go a while and there'd be another one. We had to keep stopping to stave off hypothermia."

Harsh described the water as so deep in places that it nearly went over his head. The only way to proceed in some areas was pull themselves along the steep walls of a slot canyon characteristic of the many deep chasms in the Escalante canyons.

"We didn't have wet suits or ropes, because we were not expecting the water," said Harsh. "It was more extreme than anything we were planning on."

By Saturday, the three had rappelled to a spot where they could not go down or retreat.

Crawford said by 1:30 p.m. to fight off hypothermia and avoid a potential flash flood, the three scaled a rock wall to a ledge about 50 feet above the floor of a slot canyon.

"We warmed up in our sleeping bags and drank hot water," said Crawford. "We just stayed put."

When they did not return by Sunday, Macy's girlfriend in Michigan, Robyn Hidock, called the Garfield County Sheriff's Office late in the afternoon and reported the hikers overdue.

A search was launched Monday morning, including a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter flown by Steve Rugg, who spotted the stranded hikers on the ledge about 5:30 p.m.

"We had all our bright clothing spread out all over to attract attention," said Macy.

After being spotted, volunteers with the Tropic Fire Department rappelled 450 feet down to the ledge from above to check on the trio's condition and to deliver food and water.

Sheriff's deputy and incident commander Ray Gardner said when rescuers reached the stranded trio they determined none of the hikers was injured.

"There was no urgency at that point and because it was nearing dark, we opted to bring them out in the morning," said Gardner.

He said about 15 people were involved in the rescue effort. On Tuesday morning, Rugg finessed his machine, with a 60-foot rotor span, into the slot canyon which was only 100 feet wide, and touched one of the helicopter's skids on the ledge.

After being plucked off the ledge, they were flown to the airport. They then treated their rescuers to lunch at the Cowboy Blues restaurant in Escalante.

"We couldn't be more appreciative," said Harsh.

U.S. Bureau of Land Management ranger Jeff Lauersdorf said the three hikers helped themselves by obtaining a permit into the backcountry of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
    "It saved your butts," Lauersdorf told the three. "We knew where to look."
    Lauersdorf said the permit has information that aids potential rescuers, including dates of when a hike starts and ends, where vehicles will be parked, and emergency contact information.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

they had been dropped off by a guide at the wrong trailhead
    Wouldn't the guide have been helpful in finding their location? It doesn't mention his participation in the SAR. Also, would the guide have any responsibility for rescue costs?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    they had been dropped off by a guide at the wrong trailhead
    Wouldn't the guide have been helpful in finding their location? It doesn't mention his participation in the SAR. Also, would the guide have any responsibility for rescue costs?
    The guide was probably not a true guide, it was probably a car shuttle operation. I'm not sure how much responsibility he would bear. Details are lacking at this point, as who knows if he really dropped them off at the wrong trailhead. Perhaps they requested the wrong trailhead?

Either way, this article is a little strange. It says that they rappelled, but then later says they had no ropes. Also calls the trail the Boulder Mill Trail, it is actually the Mail trail.

On NPR I heard a report that said a crew took chainsaws to the ledge to clear some trees so the helicopter could land. Very curious indeed... At least the people had plenty of gear to stay warm.

It was refreshing to read the trio understood they were stranded and they did everything right within their power. Climbed on a rock to stay out of the flash flood, stayed warm in sleeping bags, drank hot water and spread out bright colored clothes to be spotted. The main thing they stayed put and had a person responsible for the S&R call (Macy's girlfriend).

Shit happens to the best of us, it's how we deal with the emergency is what makes some of us come out alive. Glad to hear a good end to the story.

I still can't get over the damn news not being able to say the word "canyonneering". When Marc and I gave the interview to KSL, we said it like 50 times, sure enough the newspaper and the website delivered it as "hikers and hiking".

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I still can't get over the damn news not being able to say the word "canyonneering". When Marc and I gave the interview to KSL, we said it like 50 times, sure enough the newspaper and the website delivered it as "hikers and hiking".
    Look at the bright side..... every time a HIKER falls to his death doing something he should not be doing the news reports it as a ROCK CLIMBER.

I know the climbing community is just thrilled about that little typo.

That may not be a bad thing. If they call it rock climbing, you may not qualify for life insurance. If they figure out what canyoneering is they may lump it into the high risk category. I say let everyone continue thinking we hike with ropes.
    Life is Good

Actually there is a lot to that.... a friend of mine who is a canyon guide tells me insurance is a lot cheaper for canyoneering (hiking with ropes?) then it is for Rock Climbing.

I was present for part of one conversation.....

Insurance Guy: You guide rock climbing?

Canyon Guide: No I guide canyoneering.

Insurance Guy: Do you climb up cliffs?

Canyon Guide: No, we rappel and climb down canyons.

Insurance Guy: But not up?

Canyon Guide: No, we go down.

Insurance Guy: Ok then, you get the cheaper hiking guide rate and not the expensive rock climbing guide rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Actually there is a lot to that.... a friend of mine who is a canyon guide tells me insurance is a lot cheaper for canyoneering (hiking with ropes?) then it is for Rock Climbing.

I was present for part of one conversation.....

Insurance Guy: You guide rock climbing?

Canyon Guide: No I guide canyoneering.

Insurance Guy: Do you climb up cliffs?

Canyon Guide: No, we rappel and climb down canyons.

Insurance Guy: But not up?

Canyon Guide: No, we go down.

Insurance Guy: Ok then, you get the cheaper hiking guide rate and not the expensive rock climbing guide rate.

I know. I had a similer conversation with an agent except she kept trying to lump me into the rock climbing category to get more money from me I guess. I had to repeately correct her and the written documents she sent me. I had to continually tell her "I start at the top of canyons and work my way throught to the bottom. I avoid climbing. That is what a trail or car shuttle is for." her response, "Oh so when you are climbing..." I interupt her.... "no, I don't rock climb. I hike and sometimes rappel. That is it. I go DOWN. Gravity is my friend." etc. I did finally get the cheapest rates when everything was said and done, but what a nightmare.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card

That may not be a bad thing. If they call it rock climbing, you may not qualify for life insurance. If they figure out what canyoneering is they may lump it into the high risk category. I say let everyone continue thinking we hike with ropes.
    Actually too late.... I was looking into getting a life insurance and "mountaineering with ropes" is categorized as a high risk and a ground for exception. Dumb asses still can't say canyoneering though hehe

Along the same lines any whitewater sport is categorized under the same lines as "mountaineering with ropes", so I am double screwed

Mountaineering is not canyoneering, and I would say mountaineering is probably more dangerous than climbing. If I ranked them, most dangerous would be mountaineering, climbing, then canyoneering...

UPDATE:
    This rescue appears to be the result of errors, misunderstandings, miscommunication...yada, yada...

It appears the local guide service was Escalante Outback Adventures and the problem might have resulted from the use of Kelsey's hiking guidebook which combines the Death Hollow, Boulder Mail Trail and Pine Creek into one page and one map as is his standard operating procedure. Looks like someone pointed to a page asking for a shuttle to do this hike and the problems began as the particular hike was not clarified by hikers or shuttle and the trailhead not verified by the hikers.

I guess there is a lesson we can all learn buried somewhere in this rescue. I know I've had groups mess up the rendezvous point before.

hey shane, what's the source on this?

SAR friend, it's not official just the scuttlebutt.

shane, with these kind of posts it helps to include the source so the reader can gain perspective on the information.

thanks

Lots of times I end up in a bit of a sticky situation with SAR's. A lot of the SAR team guys are friends and enjoy chatting and sharing what they know with me and the canyoneering community. Often their superiors want to keep everything in house until the official report. I know you guys are really interested in this stuff so I do the best I can to report what I know without getting friends in trouble....

by the way where are you getting kelsey's book on the matter? is that your speculation? why only kelsey's book? mixing your speculation with SAR information is also misleading too.

Who said it was speculation?

I have given you everything I can at this time. I have told you what I was told. Please don't ask for more.... Or... if you guys prefer I'll just not share any of this with you anymore? Your call...

Please don't let one tight ass prevent you from posting "unofficial info". seems to me you always specify the nature of the info, so everyone is aware it may change. still, this stuff is interesting to all of us.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I have given you everything I can at this time. I have told you what I was told. Please don't ask for more.... Or... if you guys prefer I'll just not share any of this with you anymore? Your call...
    in the report you say that it "MIGHT" have been kelsey. i was asking if that were your speculation or the speculation passed on from your SAR contact.

you can do whatever you like, shane. i simply feel it's only appropriate to say where the source came from. otherwise you leave the reader without the means to evaluate the information. surely you and everyone else can understand that.

if you can't reveal your source, perhaps it might be more helpful for the rest of us if you simply stated that?

sorry for actually caring about such details.