Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer & Gear - Springdale

Beer & Gear - Springdale

Just remembered I saw an ad for the Beer & Gear Festival in Springdale this Saturday, 10/20.
    Here's a link:

http://www.canyoncommunitycenter.com/sunfestival07.html

Now, does anyone know of Jim Stiles? Certainly an interesting title.

I'm pretty sure I'll stop by after a hike in the AM. Beer, nectar of the gods.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Beer & Gear - Springdale

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Jim Stiles

Yeah I know of him.... he's pretty much a waste of good air.

If you like you can read one of Stiles articles
    I'm most proud of this one since I received an honorable mention.

The Greening of Wilderne$$
    http://canyoncountryzephyr.com/june-july2005/gtw.htm

Or you can see what SUWA has to say..... first time I think I agreeded with SUWA on anything.

Jim Stiles is Utah's Barney Fife
    SUWA's 'rainy-day fund' is a drop in the bucket

By Scott Groene

In an April 15 Tribune op-ed, Moab tabloid owner Jim Stiles continued his criticism of environmental organizations, including the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance. His complaint this time is that SUWA has some money in the bank and he'd like us to give it to organizations whose work he prefers.

Part of desert country's magic is that it nourishes eccentricity. Jim is part of that, our own Barney Fife. He's worth having around though, even if we have to clean up after him now and again.

Typically enough, Jim's rant says less about SUWA than about Jim's own curious little world. As its only resident, he's in charge. He gets not only his own opinion but his own facts.

True enough, for almost the first time in our 23-year history, SUWA can pay its bills. Our assets are comparable to those of other regional groups of similar size, scope and influence. What kind of steward are we? Charity Navigator, which rates non-profit organizations, gives SUWA its highest marks for capacity and efficiency.

SUWA's "rainy-day fund," while welcome, is pitifully small, set against the bottomless pockets of an energy industry hell-bent on turning the interior West into a series of roads and well-pads. It's no more than a drop in the bucket compared to Utah counties' inexhaustible flow of taxpayer money for their crusade to turn every cow path and two-track into a spurious "public highway."

Now we may end up defending the Zion-Mojave country against Sen. Bob Bennett's and Rep. Jim Matheson's Washington County Growth and Conservation Act announced at the end of March. The order reflects the emphasis: The package has a good deal more to do with growth than with conservation. It would transfer up to 40 square miles of public land into private hands, allow utility corridors through Zion National Park, and lavish on developers new reservoir and dam sites and a pipeline right of way.

Wilderness, by contrast, is scant: 216,000 acres, half of it in Zion National Park. Park wilderness is important and deserves support. But here it's used in a cynical numbers game to mask the fact that 70 percent of Washington County's deserving wilderness goes on the chopping block.

We're hopeful that negotiations can transform this legislation into something acceptable. But we'll oppose it in anything close to its present form. It purports to follow a "model" used in neighboring Nevada, coupling wilderness with public lands giveaways that would fail by themselves.

A far better model became law earlier this year to protect Utah's Cedar Mountains. It is a wilderness bill. Period.

Yes, SUWA has a bit of a war chest. But it won't take much of a war for it to evaporate like a water drop on a hot desert day. Our only regret is that it has taken so long to reach even this still-precarious point.
    ---
    Scott Groene is the executive director of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.

Just remembered I saw an ad for the Beer & Gear Festival in Springdale this Saturday, 10/20.
    Here's a link:

Win
    I've donated some cool stuff for the auction. Sounds like it will be a fun time there. Dang! I picked the wrong weekend to head to New Mexico!

[quote="Win"]Just remembered I saw an ad for the Beer & Gear Festival in Springdale this Saturday, 10/20.
    Here's a link:

Julie Hancock knows him and was a ranger for some time with him. She says that he is a very cool person. Author of the Zephyr in Moab and was best friends with Edward Abbey. Would be an very interesting.

Best friends with Abbey? How old is Stiles? I thought he was like mid-50's or something. Abbey would be 80 years old today if still alive...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Best friends with Abbey? How old is Stiles? I thought he was like mid-50's or something. Abbey would be 80 years old today if still alive...
    Honestly don't know. Just 2nd hand info I got from Julie? Sounded pertinent to Wins question so I posted it without having any facts? Here I am again spreading rumors It's obvious that he might be interesting to some and not so interesting to others?

How are you getting Stiles and the Gear and Beer thing combined? I clicked the link and can't see anything on Stiles?

From what I've read, Stiles does seem to fit the Abbey-groupie mold. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were friends. I would like to meet Jim Stiles someday, wonder what he is really like in person.

Even better, I'd like to see Ice and Stiles settle their differences in an ol' fashioned bare-knuckle brawl. Who do you think would win?

Bogley BigShot
    Hmmm.....

I am without a hiking partner this weekend.....

And I totally SUPPORT SUWA.... oh.. he is not SUWA?

I should go!

But I rarely do what I should.

Anyone else going but WIN? I would love to meet Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    How are you getting Stiles and the Gear and Beer thing combined? I clicked the link and can't see anything on Stiles?
    A book signing or something like that?

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Here's a link:

Win
    I've donated some cool stuff for the auction. Sounds like it will be a fun time there. Dang! I picked the wrong weekend to head to New Mexico!
    If you talk to him again Bo... tell him to email me about donating a room.

I don't want to read all that stuff....

What is he all about? He is an environmentalist but goes against SUWA or something?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Here's a link:

Win
    I didn't talk to "him". I talked to Julie as she picked up the items I've donated. Maybe when you go to the festival, you can introduce yourself and offer the room personally? Ought to be a really fun day there anyway even if you don't get a chance to meet Jim!

Bogley BigShot

Here's a link:

Win
    I didn't talk to "him". I talked to Julie as she picked up the items I've donated. Maybe when you go to the festival, you can introduce yourself and offer the room personally? Ought to be a really fun day there anyway even if you don't get a chance to meet Jim!
    Who in the heck is Jim? I just want free beer.

Bogley BigShot
    From what I've read, Stiles does seem to fit the Abbey-groupie mold. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were friends. I would like to meet Jim Stiles someday, wonder what he is really like in person.

Even better, I'd like to see Ice and Stiles settle their differences in an ol' fashioned bare-knuckle brawl. Who do you think would win?

I like the Abbey types. :)

Dreamers..... ????

What is Stiles about?

FIGHT! I want to watch!

I really have nothing against Stiles..... never meet the guy. I actually find it flattering that he thinks enough of me to comment in his fish wrapper.

Hell.... I'd even buy the guy a beer and tell him thanks for helping increase my membership if I met him. Of course..... I would then sneak out the back door and slap a Climb-Utah bumper sticker on the rear of his rusted out 78 AMC Gremlin.

Bogley BigShot
    I really have nothing against Stiles..... never meet the guy. I actually find it flattering that he thinks enough of me to comment in his fish wrapper.

Hell.... I'd even buy the guy a beer and tell him thanks for helping increase my membership if I met him. Of course..... I would then sneak out the back door and slap a Climb-Utah bumper sticker on the rear of his rusted out 78 AMC Gremlin.

Is this that guy that has a site online that mentioned you ... and not in the most flattering way.

Is this that guy that has a site online that mentioned you ... and not in the most flattering way.
    Stiles has a tabloid on-line

Canyon Country Zephyr
    http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/

.... I don't know about it being none flattering... he said I sold beta.... which is true.

The rest he kinda confussed me with..... somehow Climb-Utah, Desert Highlights and SUWA were responsiable for the loss of the wild west. I didn't exactly get the connection and how we were all related....

Anyhoo.... I then wrote Stiles a nice letter telling him thanks for the free advertising..... that made him really mad and he told me never to write him again until I graduated High School.

Bogley BigShot
    Stiles has a tabloid on-line

Canyon Country Zephyr
    http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/

.... I don't know about it being none flattering... he said I sold beta.... which is true.

The rest he kinda confussed me with..... somehow Climb-Utah, Desert Highlights and SUWA were responsiable for the loss of the wild west. I didn't exactly get the connection and how we were all related....

Anyhoo.... I then wrote Stiles a nice letter telling him thanks for the free advertising..... that made him really mad and he told me never to write him again until I graduated High School.

That's the one I remember.

Send me a Climb-Utah shirt to wear to it.

Stiles could probably be characterized as an environmentalist, perhaps even SUWA-like, though I don't think he is affiliated with them.

Some would say Stiles is of the type that says "Now that I found paradise, I don't want anyone else to come find it too."

I'm not sure what to think of the guy. I've only read the Zephyr a few times.

Send me a Climb-Utah shirt to wear to it.
    One WET extra small T-shirt is on the way....

I mean really.... go big or go home.