Thread: Bryce at the End of November

Bryce at the End of November

We have never spent time in Bryce. Looked over the edge at the first lookoff last June and decided to leave imediatley! We had to be at Jacob's Lake that evening and knew we would not make it if we stayed.

So, we are planning to go at the end of November. Any suggestions of things 'not to be missed'?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Weather will be a factor in what you can do. First, try to see every overlook, just to cover the bases. As far as hikes, there are some good one "under the rim", but their exact names escape me. You'll get a brochure that describes them and can choose based on that. Nearby, red Canyon is another winner with quite a few trails. Again, choose based on the descriptions in the brochure. If you have time and are willing to drive a ways, go hike Lower Calf Creek Falls near Escalante. So many trails/canyons around there, you'll never get them all.

If the weather is bad, you'll just have to seek out the lower levels where it may be better. Zion and Kanab may be in that category.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Thanks! I figure weather will dictate most of our plans.

I think that it is interesting to hear other points of view as to what to do. I like opinions and views.

Actually in June we did a lot out there including claf creek falls (loved it there!) Stopped at Redrock Canyon and got a traffic ticket in Escalante.

I hoping to do the figure 8 loop.....it sounds like a great way to see a lot of the canyon. Any preferances is places to stay.......we are not disneyland people.

We are always in a motor home, so stay ay Ruby's. The Inn there is also good. A few others look OK, but I have no experience.
    Stan

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    2 nice hikes in the area(can be combined into 1) Willis creek and bull valley gorge. Bo and Tanya should have the beta.

These two loops each take about 1/2 of a day and will get you most the best stuff in the park.

Fairyland Loop
    http://climb-utah.com/Bryce/fairyland.htm

Peekaboo & Queens Garden Loop
    http://climb-utah.com/Bryce/queens.htm

The Peekaboo loop listed combines the three most popular hikes in the park. You will meet lots of tourists and part of it is on a trail open to horses. But this loop is also the heart of the park so it's a must do. I set the loop up to hit all three trails because the hike back to the rim is the hardest part, so my thought is once in the bottom of the canyon you might as well get all you can out of the trip.

FairyLand is not nearly as popular but is just as good. You will see others on the trail but in November you should have it pretty much to yourself. I don't think the buses hit the Fairyland trailhead which is one reason it's probably less crowded.

I believe the buses will be shut down when you visit, which is no big deal. We did both loops without buses.

We stayed at Ruby's Inn which is your typical nice tourist trap. Clean rooms, over priced bland food, big gift shop so you can buy a $25 t-shirt.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    2 nice hikes in the area(can be combined into 1) Willis creek and bull valley gorge. Bo and Tanya should have the beta.

My favorite all time hike! Combine the 2!!!

Do Bull Valley Gorge to Sheep Creek to Willis Creek.. then take the short walk back along the road to your vehicle at Bull Valley Gorge...

Spectacular!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sta...lley-gorge.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Do Bull Valley Gorge to Sheep Creek to Willis Creek.. then take the short walk back along the road to your vehicle at Bull Valley Gorge...

Spectacular!

Again, this depends on weather. Skutumpah Road can be really nasty when wet from rain or slushy snow.
    Stan

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Spectacular!

Again, this depends on weather. Skutumpah Road can be really nasty when wet from rain or slushy snow.
    Yes!

The roads dry quickly after a rain --- not as quickly in November as now though --- but during a rain .. they are slippery!!! If there is snow.. give it up... that melting stuff keeps the roads wet!

There are some steep climbs into Willis Creek that could be scary if wet. I took my family to Willis Creek thanks to Tanya's beta and we had a blast. Very pretty narrow parts.
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    There are some steep climbs into Willis Creek that could be scary if wet. I took my family to Willis Creek thanks to Tanya's beta and we had a blast. Very pretty narrow parts.

And Bo!

Steep Climbs? Willis Creek is a family sort of hike... nothing steep there unless you try and make it so.

Do you mean in Bull Valley Gorge?

Lick Wash is a fun hike too. Not as spectacular as the other 2 but nice. There are some pictos, a very short side slot and a historic cabin.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm

Willis Creek

Bull Valley Gorge

Lick Wash

Sorry. I meant the road has a few short steep hills that could be scary if wet. And thanks to Bo as well for the info!
    The man thong is wrong.

Wow! Lots to work with. Thanks!!!! Now I just have to wait until it's time to go.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Sorry. I meant the road has a few short steep hills that could be scary if wet. And thanks to Bo as well for the info!

Oh... Duh

It would be scarey on that section between Cannonville ......... toward the first.. its on this SKINNY little section that sort of tips .... would not be fun if wet! For sure!

Tanya, that photo of Willis Creek is simply gorgeous, one of the very best I've seen. (The others are good, too.)
    Stan

Bogley BigShot
    That's because my beautiful little girls are in it.

They are HEARTBREAKERS!!!!

Beautiful weather at Bryce!

It is dry and warm here at Bryce so you should have a great time. Horse rides are over, lodge is closed, the tourists have gone home. The trails are all open and this weather makes for great hiking.

Forget staying at Ruby's Inn, camp out in the park. Sit on the rim and enjoy the night sky.

Bull Valley Gorge is definetly worth the trip.

Regardless, of the hikes you do still carry plenty of water and wear sturdy shoes. Two weekends ago I was at the head of the litter whisking a visitor with a broken ankle out of the bottom of the canyon.

Enjoy your visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images