Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous quotes ---

Our "neoconservatives" are neither new nor conservative, but old as Babylon and evil as Hell.
    ~Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The best pumpkin pie you ever ate isn't that much better than the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate.

-Garrison Keillor

We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself.
    -Carl Sagan

Action based on ideals

When my action is based on an ideal which is an idea - such as 'I must be brave,' 'I must follow the example,' 'I must be charitable,' 'I must be socially conscious,' and so on - that idea shapes my action, guides my action. We all say, 'There is an example of virtue which I must follow,' which means, 'I must live according to that.' So action is based on that idea. Between action and idea, there is a gulf, a division, there is a time process. That is so, is it not? In other words, I am not charitable, I am not loving, there is no forgiveness in my heart, but I feel I must be charitable. So there is a gap between what I am and what I should be; we are all the time trying to bridge that gap. That is our activity, is it not?

Now what would happen if the idea did not exist? At one stroke, you would have removed the gap, would you not? You would be what you are. You say, 'I am ugly, I must become beautiful; what am I to do?' - which is action based on idea. You say, 'I am not compassionate, I must become compassionate.' So you introduce idea separate from action. Therefore there is never true action of what you are but always action based on the ideal of what you will be. The stupid man always says he is going to become clever. He sits working, struggling to become; he never stops, he never says, 'I am stupid.' So his action, which is based on idea, is not action at all.

J. Krishnamurti
    The First and Last Freedom, 'Action without Idea' - 243

I will write something down when I read a book and then use it for a book mark... I was going thru some books and came across these. Sorry if they are double posts.

Unfortunatley, I sometimes forget to jot down where I got it, and who to give credit.

"You don't have to lie to strangers, just be stingy with the truth"
    -Unknown
    "The heavens declare the Glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handiwork"
    -Psalms 19:1

"The virtues of a superior man are like the wind; the virtues of a comman man are like the grass; the grass, when the wind passes over it, bends"
    -Thoreau

"There has got to be a God; the world could not have become so ****ed up by chance alone"
    -Edward Abbey

"With mountain climbing, I've discovered a tangible, short-term goal. It's me and the mountain, and that's it. There are no bankers or regulatory officals telling me what I can and can't do. It's just me and my own two feet, my own physical stregnth and my own mental resolve."
    -from Seven Summits A. Bass, F. Wells, and R. Ridgeway

"He who fights and runs away
    lives to fight another day
    but he who in battle is slain
    will never rise to fight again"
    -Unknown

"There's a race of men that don't fit in
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin
    And they roam the world at will.
    They range the field and the rove the flood
    and they climb the mountain's crest,
    Theirs is the curse of gypsy blood
    And they don't know how to rest"
    - The Men Who Don't Fit In
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    "The whole of life is made up of unfinished business"--Wiley Carroll

"Don't borrow trouble, Be patient and you'll have some of your own"
    Wiley Carroll

Patience is bitter, but it's fruit is sweet---Wiley Carroll

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.
    -Otomo No Yakamochi

The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. - Patrick Henry

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others...for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labors of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received.

-Albert Einstein

"I play Buddy Holly every night before going onstage. It keeps me honest." Bruce Springsteen

50 years ago yesterday, the music died.

Intolerance itself is a form of egoism, and to condemn egoism intolerantly is to share it.
    George Santayana, Winds of Doctrine (1913) ch. 4

Some Polish proverbs for ya... oh wait, they're supposed to be quotes... I gotta post after all this typing

"I Herkules dupa, kiedy wrog
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

"Always look at the bright side of life"

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

-Benjamin Franklin

To alcohol the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
    -Homer Simpson

There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy. -Jean Anouilh

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -Henny Youngman
    May your waters be swift and pure, may your presentation be perfect, and of course, let there be trout.