Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ten have died in wilderness therapy programs (5 in utah)

Don, I hear you. I would hope that no kid is ever lost at one of those outdoor programs. I know that you in the military know the concept of "acceptable losses". That is a valid inference from my post but not what I was saying. In the juvenile justice system, outdoor programs are sometimes the last hope before simply jailing the kids until the court loses jurisdiction. They are also the last hope of parents with out of control kids where therapy hasn't helped. The programs are meant to break the kids down and then build them back up and retrain thinking, give confidence and self worth, and life skills like problem solving, overcoming tough situations, stress management...etc. If they weren't effective my hunch is that they would have all gone away.

You are right that some kids maybe many go back to their old life styles. I do however see great benefit in this type of therapy and program. Any loss of human life is a tragedy but before the program is judged we ought to know ALL the facts behind any accident or death. If there is fault, call me... (just kidding)
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch rebel
    There are bad people in every profession and some of these guys who let this happen, seem to me at least, to be sadistic. That can't be what these programs are about. They need to be about helping kids, with tough love if necessary, but with underlying concern and kindness for the kids involved.
    I think too, that many of these programs are more about making $ than about helping the kids. They just want to get the kids in, whip them into shape (no real concern with the psychological effects as long as results on behavior are achieved) and then boot them out. Not to say that *all programs are bad, but abuse of any method/system is going to occur when there
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycry View Post
    I'm curious about this one. How did they die exactly? Do you remember your source for this information? I'd be interested in comparing the death/injury stats from these "boot camp" programs to similar stats from wilderness programs and plain old summer camps.
    do i remember my SOURCE?! it's in line 4 of the first post!

Five of victims in Utah
    Ten have died in wilderness therapy programs - and Congress wants to know why
    By Matt Canham
    The Salt Lake Tribune

polar bears are cute, old photos with illusory cigarettes are great, tornados are really scary, california is a beautiful state, and, yes, the experience in wilderness is unsurpassable, but the general section is merely a place to hang out. our real forum lies outside of the general section.

we certainly hope you've found your way here for reasons other than spamming.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    do i remember my SOURCE?! it's in line 4 of the first post!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5