Thread: Maze beta

Maze beta

asdf

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Maze beta

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    We are planing a Trip down to the Maze in early November and I need suggestions for hikes and "must see" areas. Where are the best campgrounds? So far we are not planing on backpacking anything... just day hikes.
    We are thinking we will go to the doll house area and bypass the Maze overlook. But I am open to all suggestions for any area of the Maze. Are there any good slots down there?
    Summit, are you going alone, with friends, with Uutahers? I am planning to be in Utah, in that vicinity, the week of Nov. 4, probably with a couple of buds. We were looking at the Swell, but if there's a trip into the Maze brewing, I might be interested, since I can't get in there in my car. We'd all kick in for gas and groceries and stuff, if that's the kind of trip you want to do. If not, we understand. Keep us in mind!

Our ride is full, We have three guys going down in a '08 Tacoma extended cab +plus gear.

But I am glad that you are on the way out here. What areas in the swell do you have on your hit list? I am already stoked to see your pics.
    Thanks. You flatter me.

We are looking at...

-Ding/Dang Canyons loop
    -Wild Horse Window
    -Crack/Chute Canyons loop
    -Three Finger Canyon
    -Calf, Cow and Pine Canyons
    -Sids Mountain
    -"Little Goblin Valley" (there was a recent post about it)

I did Little Wild Horse in 2005, but my friends haven't seen it, so I might have to take them.

...and anything else we can think of or that the Uutah community suggests.

Also, where's good to camp? Temple Mountain area maybe?

-Richard

If you would like my two cents... dont do the Chute Crack loop! Its Much to long and lower Chute is not really worth the time... the most bang for you buck of those two canyons is the upper part of crack... you can just jike Crack as an out n back from the behind the reef road and have the rest of your day to explore.

I have hiked Lower Chute twice... just to do it. I wont do it again.

Where to camp...
    I like camping in the cottonwoods near the end of the behind the reef road at the head of lower chute canyon.

There are also 2 sweet spots in North Temple Wash. If you have RV temple Mtn is the place for you.

*if you open both those links... there is a map link on the bottom right hand side of the page...

anyways... back to the maze!

If you would like my two cents... dont do the Chute Crack loop! Its Much to long and lower Chute is not really worth the time... the most bang for you buck of those two canyons is the upper part of crack... you can just jike Crack as an out n back from the behind the reef road and have the rest of your day to explore.

I have hiked Lower Chute twice... just to do it. I wont do it again.
    Exactly the word I need. Thanks. What would you say is the tastiest morsel along the Reef?

in this area...

1.ding/dang
    2.LWHC (if the parking lot is half full.... er... half empty)
    3. Crack
    4. Wild horse creek

If you have never been do crawford and upper eardley
    Start a thread for suggestions.. we can flood you.

I would also dump the Crack/Chute loop..... and replace it with Horseshoe Canyon/Moonshine Wash. You can do both in a day if you are in descent good shape and get an early start (daylight gets short this time of year)...... Or maybe hike the down Maidenwater up Trail loop. .... Or spend the day in North Wash and do some exploring. Hike up Leprechaun for sure, probably Blarney and Shil also.... that should get you some nice pictures and some impressive slot canyons.....

If you do the Maidenwater deal I'd still hike up Leprechaun for sure. It's about 20 minutes each way and one of the most impressive/easy to hike slots you will ever find. But be prepared to wade up to waist deep in water.

Hikers can visit the best part of Leprechaun

Moonshine Wash

Cool info. Thanks.

Re: Maze beta

We are planing a Trip down to the Maze in early November and I need suggestions for hikes and "must see" areas. Where are the best campgrounds? So far we are not planing on backpacking anything... just day hikes.
    We are thinking we will go to the doll house area and bypass the Maze overlook. But I am open to all suggestions for any area of the Maze. Are there any good slots down there?
    Don't know about the slots question, but denaliguide and I (and another fellow off-site) went in & camped late one evening at a great site just down the road from the Hans Flat ranger station. Great spot just outside the park boundary. I can get you the coordinates if you're interested.

We then drove in the Flint Trail all the way to the Standing Rocks area (very long trip), and camped a night at the Chimney Rock site. Next morning, hiked down into the Maze. They camped in there, I just did a dayhike loop. Very nice. Saw the Harvest Scene petroglyphs, plus another small panel south of there. I got back to Chimney Rock and drove out as the sun was setting, headed to Horseshoe Canyon.

I can make up a GoogleEarth KMZ file for you with some of the sites & such, and I'll post it along. I'm in Zion right now, with sporadic internet for the next few days, so I'll prepare it & send it soon.

very nice
    thank you!