Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Creek now open to limited access

Oak Creek now open to limited access

Oak Creek, just outside Zion, is currently closed to public access. Zion Adventure Company has established a permission agreement to guide a small number of low impact trips to South Fork of Oak Creek each year. Currently this is the only option to legally visit the canyon.

Zion Adventure Company has priced the route as a "High Adventure Day". $249 per person with 2 or more participants, $425 as a one person private event.

I know some of you are going to bitch about having to drag a guide along..... but at least the canyon is now legally open to anyone who wants to visit it.

Zion Adventure Company
    http://www.zionadventures.com

Climb-Utah Oak Creek
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/oc-sf1.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And from the grape vine..... I hear the canyon was originally closed because the canyoneering community was being inconsiderate of the area by littering and causing parking/traffic problems.

I hear the landowner even witnessed a pair of canyoneers making whoopee on top of his water tank, before hiking away with packs and wetsuits.

Unfortunately, the result was the canyon is now closed to general public access.

I guess now would be a good time to take the beta off your site then?

Good thing I have been there, done that. I am not about to pay that kind of fee for that canyon. Fun but not 249 bucks fun. Also probably the coldest canyon I have been in. And what is with the private canyon trip. Any one do that sort of thing.... for 425 bucks?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Good thing I have been there, done that.
    making whoopee on top of a water tank before canyoning?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Is that covered by the 249 dollar fee? If so, I bet Nelsonccc would pay that in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Is that covered by the 249 dollar fee? If so, I bet Nelsonccc would pay that in a second.
    I think that is what the $425 covers. In vegas they don't call it canyoneering though.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I guess now would be a good time to take the beta off your site then?
    NOPE! Bad idea.... nothing worse then no information being available, particularly on a route that is well known. That's just asking for more abuse.

But the Climb-Utah website has already been updated to include all current information, including the fact that the canyon is closed to the general public and only available on a limited bases through ZAC. The web page also includes information on how to contact ZAC so you can arrange a trip.

Yeah sir.... I'd like to order one "water tank adventure".

I'm just waiting for one of you clowns to own up to being the water boy.....

Very funny fellers...it twern't me. I need all all the energy I possess just to canyoneer. A needless waste of energy to climb the tank.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    NOPE! Bad idea.... nothing worse then no information being available, particularly on a route that is well known. That's just asking for more abuse.

But the Climb-Utah website has already been updated to include all current information, including the fact that the canyon is closed to the general public and only available on a limited bases through ZAC. The web page also includes information on how to contact ZAC so you can arrange a trip.

Seems like the prudent thing would be to remove all the beta, and refer people to ZAC with the page, to keep people from continuing to trespass. The owner would probably find that a generous act. After all, you are the one who released this beta to the public, and are probably the most responsible for the damage that was done. Without your beta, the canyon stays relatively untouched, except for people in the know. Scrubs like me wouldn't have done it...

BTW, when I went to do this canyon a few years ago, your beta told us to approach from Camp Kolob, which is what I assume most people were doing. What property does this owner refer to, exactly? Is this the owner on the north side of the canyon? I bet it's only since camp Kolob has been restricted that most of this damage has occurred, since most traffic would've come down the trail from Camp Kolob, which is heavily used and easy to follow.

As for who owns the canyon proper, it is still unclear to me. Can you shed some light on who the actual owner is and which property you are referring to? From the maps I looked at, it appears there are multiple people who own different parts of the approach to the canyon, ownership of the canyon proper is confusing. Can you post some detailed beta that shows what we are talking about, and which owner is refusing access?

Looks as if you want me to do all your homework for you

The entire canyon is on one parcel of private property (not muti owners property)..... A guy named Jim Bird is the feller ya need to talk to.

No need to do my homework, I've already done it once. Just want to make sure you do yours.

I found the map I put together last time this discussion came up. Couldn't remember if I had access to it in my email. The property lines are accurate. The possible trails are not, though they should be close. First Rappel is estimated.

Depending on how you access the canyon, you can cross many different parcels of land. Not sure how you get to Bird's property, there is probably a private drive not shown on this map. Never been over there. Bird's, I'm assuming, is the parcel I have labeled #8. He may own the other parcels as well. That is my best guess.

Orange is the Kolob Camp trail (not sure how accurate it is). Blue is the watercourse. Black is for roads.

I will say I hope that we could work something out with Jim, other than the ZAC option, but it is his property, and I am all for respecting it. I will also disclose that I have trespassed to get to this canyon, but it was not marked anywhere from where we entered, and I honestly didn't know it was trespassing, even though I got more than a few pokes from some of you about it. We were under the impression just the church camp was off limits, not the areas surrounding it. After a chastisment, I researched this map. I now know better... Which is also why I suggested to you Shane that the beta be removed entirely, so people don't make any mistakes about it, or get tempted

I do know that people access the canyon from Kolob (not canyoneers) who are just down there on hikes and what not. The trail obviously sees some traffic down from the camp, as it is very well worn. We met a handful of people a few years ago when we were scouting around who were LDS youth checking it out. We aren't the only ones around down there. Litter could've come from other sources besides us.

I believe the ZCC has been in contact with Mr. Bird, and he has posted recently on the Yahoo group. Let's hope for a resolution in the future.

In the meantime, I suppose we should be happy he has given us an alternative.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I take that back. Jim Bird actually owns parcel number 3 on the map I made. I never actually checked it before, just assumed. Just did with the Washington County Treasurers webpage. That would make sense, because I imagine many people would try to park there and cut down his property to the head of the canyon.

Plot 8, which holds the canyon, actually is registered to a couple from Hurricane, and Camp Kolob is registered to the LDS Church.

Never mind.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I know Jonathan at ZAC has this all worked out so he could get permission to guide the route. ZAC also had to work out all the details so they could get insurance for the routes they guide and include the landowners who's property they cross. Insurance is one of the major costs of guiding that many folks forget about. If you really want the details Jonathan is probably your best starting point. I am not the best source as I have not kept real up-to-date on the finer details of land ownership in regards to this route.

Honestly.... I have little interest in routes where I have to jump through hoops and participate in a dog and pony show. That is one of the big reasons I seldom visit Zion anymore. Plenty of other canyons where access is not an issue. When I'm done with all of them I'll start to worry about the ones on private property.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Plenty of other canyons where access is not an issue. When I'm done with all of them I'll start to worry about the ones on private property.

Ain't that the truth. Too many canyons, not enough time...

Well just flat out say it: this is a f*cking joke. I am sorry to be so blunt, but access issues like this really piss me off and I

Bogley BigShot
    [quote=James_B_Wads2000]

Well just flat out say it: this is a f*cking joke. I am sorry to be so blunt, but access issues like this really piss me off and I

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]First of all the LDS Church and Joe Blow or whatever his name is doesn