Thread: new dino found in utah

new dino found in utah

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7023731.stm

Duck-billed dinosaur had big bite

A species of dinosaur that packed hundreds of teeth inside its giant beak has just been described by scientists. The Gryposaurus, discovered in southern Utah, had a distinct duck-like bill and a powerful, strengthened jaw. The two-legged creature, described in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, was more than 10m (30ft) long. Analysis suggests that the dinosaur, which lived in the Cretaceous forests of North America about 65-80 million years ago, was a successful herbivore. "When you combine the 800 teeth with the very large, strong jaw and beak you have a very formidable plant eater," said Dr Terry Gates of the Utah Museum of Natural History, one of the authors on the paper.

Continental divide

Gryposaurus monumentensis was found in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah. The park is a favoured destination for palaeontologists, who have previously found other new species in the area including a Velociraptor-like carnivore called Hagryphus and a species of tyrannosaur. "We also have several other types of herbivores, including three new species of horned dinosaur, some domed dinosaurs and armoured dinosaurs," Dr Gates told the BBC World Service's Science in Action programme. "There were lots of animals living in the ecosystem." At the time, North America was thought to be split by a shallow sea, dividing the continent into two. The new species is believed to have lived on the western landmass on a strip of land running between the waterway and a range of mountains to the west. The recently described specimen was probably fossilised when it was covered by river sediments that now make up a series of sandstones and mudstones known as the Kaiparowits Formation.

Dietary choice

It was discovered in 2004 and analysis of its skull began in 2005. The specimen is the fourth species of Gryposaurus known today. The other three species were discovered in rocks of a similar age in Alberta, Canada and Montana in the US. "This is a brand new and extremely important window into the world of dinosaurs," said Dr Scott Sampson, also of the Utah Museum of Natural History. Although the new specimen is similar to other members of the genus, there are crucial differences. "The snout is very robust indeed - it is much larger and much stronger-looking than any other duck-billed dinosaur," said Dr Gates. "In addition, the angle of the snout is more vertical, which initially leads to a hypothesis that it had a stronger bite." Combined with 300 teeth inside its beak, with a further 500 in its jaw ready to grow as replacements, the creature could have sliced through large amounts of fibrous or woody plant material, the researchers believe. However, Dr Gates admits that researchers are still uncertain about the specifics of the creature's diet. "We just don't know what this dinosaur ate," he said. But whilst the food preferences of the toothy Gryposaurus monumentensis remain a mystery, the diet of other creatures alive at the time do not. "We have duck-billed dinosaur bones with both raptor and tyrannosaur teeth marks on them, so we know they were getting eaten by the predators."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's very cool. I hope that it will end up in a museum in UTAH, instead of shipped half-way across the world to some 'prestigious' museum.

The Kaiparowits Plateau...it just keeps giving and giving...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome!

Sounds very cool. I wonder whether some of the so-called predator tooth marks on the bones were actually marks from Adam & Eve's cutlery. I read recently that people actually co-existed with dinosaurs prior to Noah's flood. Ya gotta love science!

What a great find. It never occurred to me to look for it when I was on the plateau a while back.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Sounds very cool. I wonder whether some of the so-called predator tooth marks on the bones were actually marks from Adam & Eve's cutlery. I read recently that people actually co-existed with dinosaurs prior to Noah's flood. Ya gotta love science!
    Haven't you seen The Flintstone's? Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    That's very cool. I hope that it will end up in a museum in UTAH, instead of shipped half-way across the world to some 'prestigious' museum.
    Don't you know that Thanksgiving Point is the biggest Dinosaur Museum in the nation? It's pretty cool.

Have I ever told you my conspiracy theory about dinosaurs? Remind me next time we're in the canyons. I know you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Have I ever told you my conspiracy theory about dinosaurs? Remind me next time we're in the canyons. I know you'll love it.
    We want to hear it now, please!

I have a hard time with all the "new" dinosaurs that are coming out. That head looks like a t rex with deformities. I wonder how much of the new or even some of the older ones we've known about are actually something else and a scientist just wanted his name in the books for finding the first imapoorscientistthatwantsfameasaurus.
    The man thong is wrong.

Don't you know that Thanksgiving Point is the biggest Dinosaur Museum in the nation? It's pretty cool.
    Really?! Didn't know that.

I'm intrigued. PM me.

Stupied me..... I was thinking you would eventually run out of things to talk about in the canyons.

I heard it was the tobacco companies and the dinos started smoking and they all got cancer and died..... or did I see that on a Far Side cartoon... whatever, they are dead....
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Stupied me..