Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Thanks Stan, the Jeep needs a heart transplant...real soon

one year ago this coming saturday ...

from the mouth of neon cyn looking upriver towards choprock cyn
    middle escalante deluge, october 6, 2006

Unbelievable.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Stefan

were you trapped on the neon side or did you come in from moody?
    amazing photo.

thanks!

haha, well, technically we were trapped (but safe). this was day 2 (or 3 depending on how one's counting) of a 5 (or 6) day trip and we had planned on doing neon/chop and the bakers. so while it was clear that there was no returning to our car anytime soon on the egypt bench, we were actually hoping for a couple of days with clear skies to finish the trip. reassuringly enough, our approach hikes on the following two days began with no clouds in sight. we could access neon and chop from our camp. they were both flowing with water and were quite exciting. a trip report if you're interested.

Stefan, that TR is ridiculously cool. I read it earlier this year, but now that I've been through Chop, it is an even better read.

You know that tent you saw? It was there in May. Right across the river from the mouth of Neon? A blue tent? We tried to haul it out, but it was too heavy from dried mud. Also, did you happen to see any other garbage from the flood? We found a beat up cooler, a bunch of empty gas cans (some full) and other random items at the mouth of Neon. I wondered where the cooler came from? Perhaps someone pulled it out of the flow and put it at the mouth of Neon? Or a boater? Was it there in November? Anyways, crazy stuff. Great pics, and awesome writing.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Stefan, that TR is ridiculously cool. I read it earlier this year, but now that I've been through Chop, it is an even better read.

You know that tent you saw? It was there in May. Right across the river from the mouth of Neon? A blue tent? We tried to haul it out, but it was too heavy from dried mud. Also, did you happen to see any other garbage from the flood? We found a beat up cooler, a bunch of empty gas cans (some full) and other random items at the mouth of Neon. I wondered where the cooler came from? Perhaps someone pulled it out of the flow and put it at the mouth of Neon? Or a boater? Was it there in November? Anyways, crazy stuff. Great pics, and awesome writing.
    many thanks, dan, it means a lot.

the tent washed down with the flood. we know this because it wasn't there when we crossed the escalante on day 0. i definitely remember the cooler and some other stuff at the mouth of neon (i suppose there were gas cans too?). we took note of that on our way in. as far as other garbage i don't remember anything else flood related.