Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Autumn Colors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fall foliage is one of the only areas us East Coasters can compete with you West Coasters. Some favorites of mine from early October in Vermont and New Hampshire:

holy $#it bryan... nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Ditto.

Thank you guys! Carpey, that night shot was inspired by one of your shots of an illuminated arch. At least I'm pretty sure it was you were the one who took the shot I'm thinking of.

Wow, Bryan - those are awesome! You're lucky to live in the pretty part of New England: VT and NH. I wish I'd been able to make it up there for fall colors this year, but had to settle for what passes for fall colors here in coastal CT.

That last time lapse photo is particularly impressive - how long was your shutter open on that one? And, is the light source natural or did you use a spotlight? Either way, the result is fantastic!

I did spend about 4 hrs. last Monday shooting fall colors in my area, but because of increasingly poor light (welcome to New England - land of grey skies ), they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. I will see if I can post some of the better ones here. At least in my case, those that didn't turn out well still have potential as painting references.

Seeing all the fall color pics from Utah and other west/SW areas that everyone has been posting makes me *really* want to get back there.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Sonya,
    Thanks! I actually live in New Jersey but I spent a week in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom and the White Mts of New Hampshire on a photography vacation. Vermont really is an amazing state. It seems like every road leads to a good picture.

The shutter was open on that night shot for about 6 minutes and I used ISO800. The trees were lit up by a combination of a porch light from my cabin and, luckily, a pickup truck that happened to drive by. In hindsight, it might have been interesting to choose a lower ISO and leave the shutter open for 20 or 30 minutes to get longer star trails... although I'm not even sure that my Nikon d40 can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan
    Sonya,
    Thanks! I actually live in New Jersey but I spent a week in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom and the White Mts of New Hampshire on a photography vacation. Vermont really is an amazing state. It seems like every road leads to a good picture.
    NJ, huh? I'm sorry to hear that . Kidding... sort of ;). You were so lucky to have been there at the right time and clearly the right places to get those photos. When we went up to VT 2 yrs. ago for fall colors, it was a total bust . We might not have been in the best places (Rutlage), but we did drive down Hwy 100, I think, which was reputed to have some of the best fall colors. It just wasn't a good year for them.

I dig VT. If I was forced to spend the rest of my life in New England, I'd live there - either Stowe or maybe Brattleboro. Woodstock is also a delightful town as well. Friendliest New Englanders I've ever met were in VT. Or, I'd live in North Conway, NH. It's pleasantly far enough away from MA and close to the White Mtns. I didn't recognize any specific places in your NH photos, but you must have driven down the Kankamangus if you were near the White Mtns? That's an amazingly scenic drive, although I've only done it once and it was full summer.

The shutter was open on that night shot for about 6 minutes and I used ISO800. The trees were lit up by a combination of a porch light from my cabin and, luckily, a pickup truck that happened to drive by. In hindsight, it might have been interesting to choose a lower ISO and leave the shutter open for 20 or 30 minutes to get longer star trails... although I'm not even sure that my Nikon d40 can do that.
    Thanks for that info . I have yet to try a shutter delay that long, but I like hearing how people got their night shots so I have an idea what settings to consider when I try it at some point. I didn't even notice any grain in the pic, either. I have a D40 and according to the manual, it can be set for up to a 30 min. shutter speed, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it to do that; the manual is a tad bit confusing there. It may also need an electronic remote in the bulb mode.

Look forward to seeing more of your work!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

The fall colors in Utah have been around for almost a month now depending where you are. Pretty amazing. Little Cottonwood Canyon:

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Ditto.
    Ditto also.

Stunning!!!!!!!!! Just stunning!

Rock Canyon 10.25.2009

Here are a couple from Buckhorn Wash in the Swell this weekend.

Blog | FB

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    taken along the Kolob Terrace road back in October
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Oklahoma Sunset

In our pasture tonight; see, we don't have to be in Utah...

This was one from last Fall I took up Diamond Fork Canyon- Three Forks Trailhead

Name:  9335_159490934455_6&.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  104.6 KB