Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what you see when you dont have a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I also understand the eating meat thing and feeding the family, but I doubt that is why many hunt --
    What other reason is there? I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.

Incidently, what SHOULD humans kill deer with if not a gun? What about archery? Is that bad too? Should we just chase them down and strangle them with our bare hands? Would that suffice as a "fair" hunt?

NOT trying to pick a fight here, just telling it the way I see it...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I also understand the eating meat thing and feeding the family, but I doubt that is why many hunt --
    What other reason is there? I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.

Incidently, what SHOULD humans kill deer with if not a gun? What about archery? Is that bad too? Should we just chase them down and strangle them with our bare hands? Would that suffice as a "fair" hunt?

NOT trying to pick a fight here, just telling it the way I see it...
    Don't get me wrong... I LOVE blood thristy and Violent men !!!!! but I don't think of hunters as those types. I think of them as thinking hunting is macho.... if it's for meat then why not go to the store. Hunting is not cheap. All those little things they need to hunt really do add up. I could make a whole case to be a vegan here too.

I think archery is better, but still technology has made that too so there is no sport.. just slaughter.

Bare hands!!!! Yeah..... now that would be far more even and almost a fair fight!

Well, in my own defense, when I DID hunt I enjoyed it...but lets clarify a bit. I enjoy getting out in the wild/nature/god's creation and hiking/tracking game/even living off the land if 'n I had to. I hunted for ONE REASON only...I needed the meat to feed my family. You can feed a family for a LONG time on just one Elk. It is expensive if you make it that way, it doesnt have to be. Yes, the initial investments in weaponry,camping gear, etc are to a point but it's like anything you get into you can make it what you want. I NEVER at any time did it for the sport/to thin out the herd/to be macho/whatever. Lots of my friends do however...doesnt make them bad people. The last two hunts I went on I packed in on horseback with friends up in the Hoback area for Elk. Both times I shot my elk and both times I lost the blood trail in black timber - NO one could find it...I was so disgusted with the whole thing and just plain sick about not being able to finish the HARVEST -yes, that is what it is -that I packed up and went home, and called another friend and ordered a half of a beef and a pig - that was a very expensive year. Nowadays I order a half a beef, about 800# this year, and a full pig...already had the freezer investment
    .....I love to shoot handguns, rifles, shotguns, whatever...my whole family knows how to handle a gun, as Fourtycal will attest....he has a very envieable arsenal BTW ----but all this aside, you all do your own thing and just enjoy it okay and I won't judge you too harshly either

Good job defending yourself there greyhair, and you didn't even have to break out a gun

The main difference between beef from the store and game animals is one is raised and harvested by ranchers, the other is raised by the utah division of wildlife resources and harvested by hunters. Venison helped our family get through tough times when I was young and I still love to eat it. I can buy beef for much less than I spend on hunting now but I like hunting, call me macho .

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    ...BTW, my wife wants a pink 'cricket' and would go to the shooting range in highheels....her words not mine

Like any skill... shooting a gun well is SEXY! I like the pink and highheels idea.

I am pretty much just being difficult guys. Don't let me give you too hard a time. I have gone hunting and all that kind of stuff too. Maybe I was feeling macho at the time.

I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.
    Yeah, like these guys???

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eHzvJfK6o-0[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.
    Yeah, like these guys???
    Key words: BIG GAME (ie deer, elk)

Rabbits are vermin with long ears.

Bogley BigShot
    Yeah, like these guys???
    Key words: BIG GAME (ie deer, elk)

Rabbits are vermin with long ears.

They are cute little animals

You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures.

Just read your next sentence. Sure, you said big game in your first sentence, but the delineation isn't clear for your next. You called them "creatures." I think rabbits would fit that description.

I have a feeling Shane will soon post in this thread. In anticipation, let's play a quick little game. We'll call it "predict the post."

1- In Shane's response, he will defend poaching with one of the following arguments:

a) I know lots of people who poach wild game, many of whom are faithful card carrying members of SUWA.

b) I like to hunt big game like I hunt women. Poach 'em and leave 'em. Permits and permission are for sissies. I don't see how people could have a problem with that.

c) Deer are overpopulated anyways. Killing a few and leaving them behind is actually good for the ecosystem.

d) all of the above.

I've killed hundreds of ants within 5 minutes, and left their rotting carcases out in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I've killed hundreds of ants within 5 minutes, and left their rotting carcases out in the sun.
    But did you revel in your victory?

But did you revel in your victory?
    I may have won the battle, but the war still rages on.

I have a feeling Shane will soon post in this thread. In anticipation, let's play a quick little game. We'll call it "predict the post."

1- In Shane's response, he will defend poaching with one of the following arguments:

a) I know lots of people who poach wild game, many of whom are faithful card carrying members of SUWA.

b) I like to hunt big game like I hunt women. Poach 'em and leave 'em. Permits and permission are for sissies. I don't see how people could have a problem with that.

c) Deer are overpopulated anyways. Killing a few and leaving them behind is actually good for the ecosystem.

d) all of the above.

b), definitely b)

BTW, I killed two rabbits on my way to work this morning. I pulled the car over and reveled in my victory both times...

Rabbits are soooo stupid. Both times they crossed the road in front of me, and then at the last minute pitched themselves under my tires.

Bogley BigShot
    You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures.

Just read your next sentence. Sure, you said big game in your first sentence, but the delineation isn't clear for your next. You called them "creatures." I think rabbits would fit that description.

Yeah! Take That! ~raspberries~

Bogley BigShot

Are we thinking the same Shane? I think that might be the women leaving him.

d) all of the above.

Bogley BigShot

You are so MEAN .....

I think I am getting turned on.

Bogley BigShot

d) all of the above.

b), definitely b)

BTW, I killed two rabbits on my way to work this morning. I pulled the car over and reveled in my victory both times...

Rabbits are soooo stupid. Both times they crossed the road in front of me, and then at the last minute pitched themselves under my tires.

I hit a chipmunk, even though trying to avoid it of course, when I was in college and still have nightmares about it.