Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crowds at Hidden Splendor - October 5-7

Crowds at Hidden Splendor - October 5-7

SUWA will be holding their annual round-up and pot smoking convention October 5-7 at Hidden Splendor in the San Rafael Swell. I suggest all canyoneers avoid the area. This is also the same weekend as the ACA event in Zion. Good luck to canyoneers seeking peace and solitude that weekend.

This has been a public service announcement..... we will now return you to our regularly schedule programing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Time to head to either the Roost or the North Wash.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Wait, why are canyoneers asked to avoid Hidden Splendor? When was the last time UUTAH canyoneers ever looked for peace and solitude? I thought we were all about the rowdy crowds, sleeping at hotels, and strutting around in our underwear to impress other married women we meet in the canyons.

Pot-smoking, pot-luck dinners, and a big crowd? Seems like something you'd normally jump all over...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Wait, why are canyoneers asked to avoid Hidden Splendor? When was the last time UUTAH canyoneers ever looked for peace and solitude? I thought we were all about the rowdy crowds, sleeping at hotels, and strutting around in our underwear to impress other married women we meet in the canyons.

Pot-smoking, pot-luck dinners, and a big crowd? Seems like something you'd normally jump all over...
    Ya, but only amongst friends.

Those earth-lovin, tree huggin, pot smokin SUWA types aren't our friends...

Wait, why are canyoneers asked to avoid Hidden Splendor?
    I'm just giving you a heads up Carpey.... if you want to go smoke pot and hit on chicks that have never met a razor or a bar of soap then the SUWA gig is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I'm just giving you a heads up Carpey.... if you want to go smoke pot and hit on chicks that have never met a razor or a bar of soap then the SUWA gig is for you.
    Hey Ice, thanks for looking out for me. Now that you mention it, I probably will attend. Maybe I can rally up some people to pull those bolts out of the squeeze that you like to complain about. Not to mention, someone needs to rebuild the fence blocking the trail down to the Muddy, after our "friends" felt like moving and dismantling it. And, there may even be worthwhile conversation that isn't centered on sex and booze, but rather on protecting the environment...

Yeah, but if you guys aren't into that, I'd stay away.

someone needs to rebuild the fence blocking the trail down to the Muddy
    Sweet!!! more firewood.

And a little FYI: The fence blocking access to the Muddy was removed by the river runners (many of which belong to SUWA) so they could drive down to the river and get their kayaks and rafts and not have to carry them up the hill. Just thought I'd mention that before you start pointing fingers at the wrong folks.

And, there may even be worthwhile conversation that isn't centered on sex and booze, but rather on protecting the environment...

BOOOOORRRRRRRRING!!!! Geez, you've been hanging out with the "uptight folks" waaaaaay too much!

Sweet!!! more firewood.

And a little FYI: The fence blocking access to the Muddy was removed by the river runners (many of which belong to SUWA) so they could drive down to the river and get their kayaks and rafts and not have to carry them up the hill. Just thought I'd mention that before you start pointing fingers at the wrong folks.
    Nice try Shane.

Nice try Shane.
    Ya, you're right. SUWA members shit flowers and walk on water...

I knew you'd come around Rock. Thanks for seeing it my way.

I knew you'd come around Rock. Thanks for seeing it my way.
    Hey man, I just wanna know where to send my check. I wanna shit flowers and walk on water too. BTW, why are you posting hidden these days? Are you ashamed?

What do you mean, posting hidden?

By the way, membership is $30 a year. You can pay online.

www.suwa.org

Gosh.... the Utah Shared Access Alliance lets you join for only $10.
    http://www.usaall.org

Funny part is SUWA sent me a free membership last week.

What in the hell were they thinking?

At first I thought it was a joke, but nope.... just had to buy a stamp and send in the attached card. Hell.... I probably would have sent in the attached card but I didn't consider SUWA worth the price of a stamp.

Hey no fair! I want a free SUWA membership!!

I'm jealous...

Funny part is SUWA sent me a free membership last week.

What in the hell were they thinking?
    A free membership kinda defeats the purpose. Usually, you pay the money to support the cause, not to get "the membership." Perhaps they sent it to you in the same way the Jehovah Witnesses always leave the watchtower on my front door. They know I'll never read it, but they probably know it is annoying as hell.

I think they're giving him the trial version. C'mon Shane, give it a spin around the block, kick the tires, you might like it!

I figured it was kinda like going to church..... they were just hoping to get me in the front door so they could start workin' on me.

Thought you guys might like this tid bit from their website.
    I'm going cause I know Aron Ralston will be Partying like a ROCK STAR WILDERNESS ADVOCATE!!!!
    Any comments?

Between a Rock and a Hard Place
    A benefit for and about Utah wilderness
    October 1, 2007

On October 1st, Aron Ralston, star wilderness advocate and author of Between A Rock and A Hard Place, will present a slideshow and speak about his remarkable survival after being trapped for days in southeast Utah