Thread: Cardiff Pass

Cardiff Pass

Last week I went up Little Cottonwood Canyon with a few hours to burn. I didn't have a particular hike planned so I was pretty much just walking along the trails to old mines in the area. I ended up going to Cardiff pass, and an unknown peak.
    I started out at the service gargage, turned off the old mining road at the avelanche study area. I followed the trail until a fork at which I headed NW. The trail then up through a flat area and an old mine to the east (right). At the pass there was a peak that looked like it had some kind of shack on it, so I went to see what it was. At the peak there was a small shed with electronics in it and a christmas tree on the peak. Unfortunately I didn't bring my GPS so I don't know the exact distance and elevation gain, but I would guess no more than 2.5 miles. On the way down I noticed what looked like a stack of rocks at first, but at second glance it looked more like a retaining wall that someone had built, so I went of in that direction to see what was over there. To my surprise, I found two 3-sided "rooms" for lack of better words. Judging by the scattered dish remains and empty tins laying all over the place I would guess this was an old kitchen for the miners. Anyone else been here or know what this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

gotta love finding old structures from days gone by...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I have some pictures also from the general area. There is mining stuff all over up there. You can see the tailings and if you walk up to them you can find the mineshafts with iron grates covering them. There is tons of history up there and old mining stuff is fascinating to see.

That is a great hike and if you continue on the ridge up to Superior there is excellent scrambling and views of the whole Cottonwood canyon area. I highly recommend the area.

I ran into this poking out of the snow:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Re: Cardiff Pass

Quote Originally Posted by basilone0331
    I ended up going to Cardiff pass, and an unknown peak.
    At the peak there was a small shed with electronics in it and a christmas tree on the peak.
    That's a weather station. Kind of an important one, I'd imagine. Wind speed and direction. The peak there is Little Superior or the Black Knob?

A really popular ski touring venue. That's the access to the Cardiff and Cardiac area.

If you're a local beer fan, "Superior Ale" used a shot of Cardiac Bowl as part of the picture on the label, I seem to recall. I think there's a Utah Travel Council commercial out there that shows some skiing in that area as well.

-Brian in SLC

Re: Cardiff Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    The peak there is Little Superior or the Black Knob?
    I tried looking on my topomap program but it didn't have a name. Same for Hiking The Wasatch by John Veranth, so now I have no idea.