Thread: Good bike light for under $40?

Good bike light for under $40?

I need a headlight for my commuter bike. With school and work I won't be getting home til 5:45 and that's darkness coming up pretty soon.

Is there such thing as a decent headlight for under $40.

I do NOT want LED. All LED lights I've ever owned still make me crash because I cannot see the potholes. Super poor night vision + LED = accidents.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You can pick up a nightrider trail rat or road rat for a little more cash but they are good lights and seem to be better than the inexpensive cateye lights. I used my trail rat in the mountains for years and it worked great!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Getting bloody cold out lately. I commute on my motorcycle and I had to get out some of my winter gear.

So far my only two suggestions are:

nitetrider trail rat (about $80)
    nitetrider road rat (looks about $60)

Anyone else?

Are those two about easy to slip on and off a bike? I don't want to leave it on my bike while I'm on campus/in class. Some punkass kid might steal it.

I have what is basically a two year old Marwi Bullite relabeled as a Performance Viewpoint I could let go. I now have two lights that throw enough between them (25W) for trail riding at night so I haven't used it since sometime in March.

http://www.marwiusa.com/default.aspx...id=3&pid=51#42

It goes about 2 hours at 6W. Higher end LED lights put out about the same amount of light but the lower end ones don't even come close. How does $30 for it and both a 10
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I have a Trailrat 2.0 I got on clearance at Golsan Cyclery in S. Jordan ($35.00 ). It's a great light. About 2.5 hours of ride time and it puts out a good amount of light for being a small and rather inexpensive light. $100 is very reasonable (IMHO) price for one.
    Damn you, vile woman, you've impeded my work since the day I escaped your wretched womb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    So far my only two suggestions are:

nitetrider trail rat (about $80)
    nitetrider road rat (looks about $60)

Anyone else?

Are those two about easy to slip on and off a bike? I don't want to leave it on my bike while I'm on campus/in class. Some punkass kid might steal it.
    I think that this is your best bet, I have a spare trail rat that I could let you borrow to test out if you wanted to buy a light? Let me know, I upgraded to the H.I.D version and it rocks, obviously I spent much more than your looking to spend, but it was well worth it.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.