Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing the Ugly Toad of Zion with Tom Jones and Bo Beck....

Thanks for posting Tanya and Bo. Didn't recognize Behunin with all the water. Looks like a different canyon.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I will get an album made for Behunin and put up a few more photos from the trip.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Thanks for posting Tanya and Bo. Didn't recognize Behunin with all the water. Looks like a different canyon.

Yeah.... it was really wet! The only thing was it was full of that black stuff from the burn. It was so DIRTY!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    THX tanya

looks like Tom has lost his love for the atc-xp,noticed he's been using a pirana lately.

surely you'll post more pics Tanya

You know I have to make a whole album of the canyon. Sort of a wet and a dry album. Here is the dry album from last time we did Behunin. It looked much different this time!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index66.htm

Very nice pictures! Thanks for postin'
    The man thong is wrong.

Tanya - On Rappel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, Bo. It's good to see the girl in action.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Thanks, Bo. It's good to see the girl in action.
    Yep! She's quite the Canyoneer! The rope was wet and muddy and on the way down the muddy water would peel off the rope and totally saturate your clothing. Those creme pants and pink shirt weren't quite as bright as the smile on her face when she got down!

Haven't seen a rise from Iceaxe yet? Maybe it just wasn't wet enough in Behunin to stimulate him?

Ok....is this wet enough for you Shane??????

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Haven't seen a rise from Iceaxe yet? Maybe it just wasn't wet enough in Behunin to stimulate him?

Oh...and PS: Thanks to Cindy Purcell (Past District Backcountry Ranger Zion) for the photo. I was busy under the falls trying to give a conditional belay to two folks trapped under the "wave". Fortunately we lost only 600' of rope, two packs, a couple harnesses and some other misc. gear and no LIVES! Walls of water are scary in Behunin!

Bogley BigShot

Oh...and PS: Thanks to Cindy Purcell (Past District Backcountry Ranger Zion) for the photo. I was busy under the falls trying to give a conditional belay to two folks trapped under the "wave". Fortunately we lost only 600' of rope, two packs, a couple harnesses and some other misc. gear and no LIVES! Walls of water are scary in Behunin!
    You are trying to stimulate ? I have tried for years.... I don't think he stimulates.

Bogley BigShot
    You have to tell the story now Bo....

How the entire SAR Team and Zion's head ranger almost got taken out in Behunin!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Whut ? I was just out for a casual stroll and when I looked up there it was! Water! and lots of it!

I'll post when I get my on and find a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Ok I found a moment and also located my

Don't rember the year but Cheto Olais and Cindy Purcell had just been assigned as Cheif Ranger and District Backcountry Ranger at Zion. We had a SAR training scheduled for that weekend and they wanted to see "Their SAR Team" in action. We thought it better to show them "Their Park" so decided to take them through Behunin. It was only drizzling off and on that day I promise! Well...needless to say it was a beautiful day for a hike until the 2nd to last rappel. IT LET LOOSE! 9 of us had to get out of there real fast. Simul raps were the faire. Everyone down except Tony and Karl. Simul rapping the last rap and maybe 35' down as I was giving conditional belay at the bottom, it went dead silent (the waterfall from majestic had been deafening up until this moment)...I looked up and A HUGE wave slowly blackened the sky...the silence soon was filled with O WHOOOOSH. Logs, rocks, trees, sand...all started coming down but the wave had enough lateral momentum that it went over the heads of Tony and Karl ( I couldnt see them) but maintained my grip on the ropes as the area I was in filled with water and threatened to take me downstream. Soon I hear screams and there they both were. I swam/ scurried left and scrambled up on a buttress to give tham a pool to land in and then grabbed their hands one at a time and pulled them up onto the rock aside me.

We out of 9 members, lost 2 harnesses, 2 packs about 600' of rope, but were alive to talk about it and learned a lesson we should have already known

Take a shower in the bathroom....not a canyon!.

Holy cow. I am glad I don't have that story. Was the water hitting that gigantic boulder at the bottom and sending it back your way? Yikes. But a pretty good welcome to the park if I do say so my self. Hello rangers, come see your park, come see your park flood, see the flood up close and personal. Run ranger run. Baptism by flash flood.
    Life is Good

Holy cow. I am glad I don't have that story. Was the water hitting that gigantic boulder at the bottom and sending it back your way? Yikes. But a pretty good welcome to the park if I do say so my self. Hello rangers, come see your park, come see your park flood, see the flood up close and personal. Run ranger run. Baptism by flash flood.
    Here's another picture. The rock you see on the right side of both pictures is the "Big Rock" you are referring to. The initial "Wave" I was told hit on top of the boulder, but then the water hit the frontside and came down where you touchdown on the freehang. You know that talus area. That area was a river and was where I was standing/swimming trying not to be swept downstream.

Here's another picture. The rock you see on the right side of both pictures is the "Big Rock" you are referring to. The initial "Wave" I was told hit on top of the boulder, but then the water hit the frontside and came down where you touchdown on the freehang. You know that talus area. That area was a river and was where I was standing/swimming trying not to be swept downstream.
    If you look closely at the picture on the left you can see 2 ropes and Tony and Karl partway down the buttress which is the last rappel in Behunin. You can also see the waterfall that was coming off Mt Majestic that was deafening just prior to the "Wave that shot out of Behunin.

If you look closely at the picture on the left you can see 2 ropes and Tony and Karl partway down the buttress which is the last rappel in Behunin. You can also see the waterfall that was coming off Mt Majestic that was deafening just prior to the "Wave that shot out of Behunin.
    That looks intense. I hope I never have to deal with that. Was it looking cloudy before you entered or did it come on you while you were in the canyon. One of my fears is that we will be in a canyon and a thunderstorm will come in on an otherwise clear day and catch us by surprise.

The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    That looks intense. I hope I never have to deal with that. Was it looking cloudy before you entered or did it come on you while you were in the canyon. One of my fears is that we will be in a canyon and a thunderstorm will come in on an otherwise clear day and catch us by surprise.

No...it was a good chance for rain in the afternoon...thus my headwear in this post. It was cloudy on the way up and didn't start drizzling until the 3rd to last rap. IT LET LOOSE WITH A VENGENCE at the top of the 2nd to last rap. It was thundering and clapping lightening up canyon big time when we got to the top of the 2nd to last rap. We should have had better sense than to be in a canyon that day.

But you know sometimes we think we are invinsible!

Oh man, that's nutz. Thanks for sharing.
    Life is Good