Thread: Trip Report: Tony Grove-White Pine-Bunchgrass Sept 2007

Trip Report: Tony Grove-White Pine-Bunchgrass Sept 2007

Tony Grove as in "it was a tony party" like they might have said in the '30s when this area got it's name from locals spending their summer vacation in the area. Visit two small high altitude alpine lakes near the tree line using very nice, mostly downhill singletrack. Some technical sections, but probably rated intermediate.

Tony Grove turn-off is 19 miles north of Logan, UT on highway 89 which is very scenic meaning it has a low speed limit. Count on a half hour drive from Logan.

The paved road up from the highway to the Tony Grove parking area (fee for parking) is 7 miles and 1,900 feet of climbing at about 4.8% grade. Consider saving the parking fee and a little gas, forget any shuttle, pretend you're a roadie and huff your way up the paved road. It took me a little over an hour.

The 12 miles of singletrack starts at the Tony Grove parking area and after a little climbing (800 feet) ends up dropping back down to the highway for a total downhill romp of almost 3,000 vertical feet.

Current weather
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...d=TGLU1&num=48

This ride inspired by live2ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That was a great trial report, do you think there is any chance that this will be rideable from this point on? Great pics, and I love the graph Thanks for the report.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

This is one of my favorite trails in Cache Valley!! Unfortunately, like most higher elevation trails, the riding season is quite short. That being said, I'm sure it will be rideable for a while yet. There may be a skiff of snow up there right now after the storm, but hopefully not too much. I am hoping to get one more ride in up there before it snows too much.

I usually skip the climb on the road and just leave a shuttle car at the top. Maybe it's because I'm lazy, but I claim that is saves me time. Although, by the time you drive back up the road to get the shuttle car.......

This is one of my favorite rides too. We park at the bottom near the highway also. I love the alpine meadows way up there.

Excellent write up. Thanks for the pics. I've never been to Tony Grove, but I'm always hearing about it.

I've got to get caught up in throwing these trips in the index.

Very cool! I have never ridden this trail on my bike. But I spend a lot of time over at Bear Lake. I need to hit this trail next year. Sombeech, we'll hit it on our peddle bikes next year.

How'd you make that cool graph?

The graph is from the Macintosh program Ascent. The data was recorded with a Garmin Edge305 gps bike computer.

I hesitate posting speeds and times, but I had to stop and take pictures. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ascent site:

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/