Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green River trip 9/22/07

Green River trip 9/22/07

5 of us floated from Flaming Gorge Dam to Little Hole yesterday on pontoons.

The fishing was just OK, and I forgot my tackle.

The fish were actually everywhere, you could see nice sized ones in each hole. They had been fished so much though, very picky.

We were all using black and green woolly buggers. In the evening, I tried some dry flies, and had a few strikes but never landed any.

My boat had a slow leak in one of the bladders, so I was pumping about every 40 minutes.

We probably landed about 25 fish altogether.

The forecast called for huge rain, but it only started to sprinkle as we were pulling out of the water at @ 7:00.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pictures ! The Green river is always and awesome river to float, even if you are not fishing. With the water being so clear, it is easy to see all of the big fish.

Awesome trip, like sombeech said the fishing wasn't too great, but the ones I did catch made it all worth it. Floating the river was the best part. I will post a few pictures later. Nice pictures there sombeech.

Great report. I floated it for the first time back in April and I need to do it again.!!

Next time invite a brother to come with!

Looks like an awesome trip, a couple of questions:

1. Have you seen any rafts on it?
    2. Is it too shallow for a raft?
    3. How long is the stretch, miles/time?
    4. How long is the shuttle?
    5. Is it an overnighter trip?
    6. Where is a put in and take out?

Those were some great photos. The last time I floated the Green, I lost a $400 jacket - the time before that the bottom of the raft we were in ripped out (it was a cheap raft, not one of the rentals) and I lost a bag, sunglasses, and shoes. That river has cost me over $600, and not including the raft rental. The fish I have caught have been worth it.

It looks as if pontoons are the way to go.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Looks like an awesome trip, a couple of questions:

1. Have you seen any rafts on it? Yes there were many rafts.
    2. Is it too shallow for a raft? No, there were a few shallow sections, but overall you wouldn't have to worry.
    3. How long is the stretch, miles/time? We floated 7 miles. In the water at 9 a.m. and out at 7 p.m.
    4. How long is the shuttle? From the dam to little hole (the exit) about 15 min. at most.
    5. Is it an overnighter trip? Could be if you floated further down river. I have heard of many people making it into an overnighter.
    6. Where is a put in and take out? Right below the dam there is a boat access, and then we took out at little hole.

Hopefully that helps.

Re: Green River trip 9/22/07

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    and I forgot my tackle.
    But you didn't forget your camera Awesome pics, I really wish we had rivers with that much scenery around here.

My question; Is trout the most sought after species out there? Outside of trout, what else do you guys get out that way?

shagster, thanks man! lots of help.

Forgot one more question:

How far is the put-in/take out from SLC? Driving time.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    3. How long is the stretch, miles/time? We floated 7 miles. In the water at 9 a.m. and out at 7 p.m.
    That length of time was also spent with stopping at all of the fishing holes, where you'd cruise right through them if you're just river running.

If you're taking the family, it'd be fun, but don't look for big rapids. I don't even think they were class I.

From Ogden it took us @3 hours drive to the Dam.

I see, it's almost as far as Moab (Colorado River). Thanks for the info! Looks awesome up there.

What cam did you use Justin?

The fishing was just OK, and I forgot my tackle.
    But you had your camera. Need anything else.

Thanks a lot! I passed up the green to go to yellowstone last weekend but your photo's are telling me I have to get back up there before to much snow is on the ground. Nice trip and thanks for the photos looks like someone caught a healthy brown.
    Eat it you dirty little fish!

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    and I forgot my tackle.
    But you didn't forget your camera Awesome pics, I really wish we had rivers with that much scenery around here.

My question; Is trout the most sought after species out there? Outside of trout, what else do you guys get out that way?
    Most places are stocked with trout. There are a few lakes with catfish, bass (small, big, stripe), walley, perch, bluegill, etc. I think there are even Salmon in Strawberry res.
    Trout is definitely dominate in rivers and most smaller lakes.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Trout is definitely dominate in rivers and most smaller lakes.
    Wow, we have quite a variety in ours. Everything from trout, smallmouth bass, largemouth, pike, pickerel, perch and the list goes on. The Smallies are my favorite

You are not allowed to camp on any of the section that was floated. From the Dam down to Little Hole is day use only, However from Little hole down to Browns park camping is allowed. The float is longer, I can not remember how many miles it is. My guess was 15-20 miles. I have only floated that section once several years ago. The best fishing has always been the 7 mile float from the dam to little hole.

Sweet pics, nothing better than a good float to make a man happy. Thanks for sharing
    "You can judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him"

The Green can be so gorgeous and frustrating at the same time. If your presentation isn't just right you can watch a nice fat trout watch your fly drift overhead time after time. The scenery makes it all worth it though.

Yeah, you can immediately tell that those fish have been around the block a few times.

Right at the put in ramp, where I took those fish pics, I went to catch them with my net because they were so close. But I was warned that was against the law.

Funny, I'd figure digging the hook out would be more life threatening to the fish.

Right at the put in ramp, where I took those fish pics, I went to catch them with my net because they were so close. But I was warned that was against the law.
    By who? You might get banned on the Green too.