Thread: National Public Lands Day, Saturday 9/29

National Public Lands Day, Saturday 9/29

I'm sure everyone already has plans for National Public Lands Day considering how environment-conscience everyone is here. But, if you still don't have plans, then come out to AF Canyon and help wrangle in those nasty OHV users.

National Public Lands Day - September 29, 2007

It's time for National Public Lands Day (NPLD) 2007! Like last year, U4WDA and our member clubs are organizing projects across the state. The group project will be focused on clean-up and maintenance activities in American Fork Canyon. The project will start at Tibble Fork Reservoir at 9:00 AM, and we should be done before 2:00 PM.

Every volunteer will receive a free NPLD t-shirt thanks to U4WDA sponsors Teraflex Manufacturing, Teraflex Plus, Six States Distributors, and Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts.. In addition, each volunteer will receive a free one-day pass valid for one year to gain access to any National Park, BLM or Forest Service Fee Area.

Please join us for this fun and important project. Media will be on hand to cover the story, so we need as many volunteers as possible to get the press coverage we need for the 4x4 cause.

Important Information
    Wear PANTS and SHOES (no shorts, flip-flops or sandals). This is a requirement of the Forest Service.

Bring work gloves (cheap gloves are available for $2 at Harbor Freight).

Bring plenty of water and a lunch.

When: Saturday, September 29th at 9:00 AM

Where: Tibble Fork Reservoir in American Fork Canyon (see directions below)

Directions to Tibble Fork Reservoir:
    1. From I-15 take exit number 284 (Highway 92 Highland/Alpine) and head east.
    2. Stay on 92, and you will reach the canyon fee booth in 7.7 miles.
    3. From the fee booth at the canyon entrance, continue east on the main road. After 3.8 miles, you'll reach the turn-off to Tibble Fork Reservoir and North Fork.
    4.Turn left (north) and continue on the road for 2.3 miles to the reservoir.

More information:

http://www.u4wda.org/af

http://www.u4wda.org/npld

http://www.u4wda.org

Free t-shirts for all volunteers. Please post up if you plan on attending so we can get an accurate count. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We'll be out there, rain or shine.

Let us know how it went Great weather back this way for the weekend, I hope you have the same

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    We'll be out there, rain or shine.
    I hope the weatherman doesn't scare too many people away. I wish I could be there too but my weekend is shot. Good luck and have fun!

We had 97 fat, lazy, redneck, stupid, drunk, hillbilly 4x4'ers show up to participate in our volunteer project despite the cold weather and snow. Surprisingly, I didn't see any hikers, mountain bikers, or wilderness advocates volunteering on this project. I'm sure they were hard at work at other projects. Anyone care to report on one of those? Surely the do-nothing, drive-anywhere OHV crowd didn't put forth the largest NPLD effort in Utah. Surely these anti-environment 4x4'ers who have no valid claim to enjoy our public lands weren't the ones putting their money where their mouths are.

Obviously, the above statements are meant in jest. This gives us a free, one-year pass on the false comments from stefan and rev coyote regarding the lack of effort for enforcement, maintenance, and education put forward by OHV users.

Still waiting on reports from the 13 other sites across Utah where U4WDA and our member clubs organized projects.

Here's the AF report:

As mentioned, we had 97 volunteers. Clubs included UtahOffroad.com, Utah4x4Club.com, Wasatch Cruisers, Lone Peak 4 Wheelers, Utah Xterra Owners Club, and Zuktah. We even had a great group of volunteers from Teraflex/Teraflex Plus.

Utah4x4Club.com installed two information kiosks on the Forest Lake road as part of their adopt-a-road project this summer.

We built 4 sections of fence totaling 120 feet to block two illegal, user-created routes near Dutchman Flat. One route was an illegal, user-created hiking route.

We installed posts and signage at a trail wash-out where several rigs have rolled off the hill in the last few years.

And we removed two truck loads of garbage from dispersed campsites in the canyon.

As always, it was an absolute blast, and a great opportunity to get out and give back to the public lands we all enjoy.

Huge thanks go out to all the hard working volunteers who attended.

Especially big thanks to Teraflex, Teraflex Plus, Six States, and Tom Wood's Drive Shafts for sponsoring free t-shirts again this year.

NPLD 2008 is on September 27. I challenge UUTAH to get a group organized for a project!

Here are a few pictures.

Most of the group in the morning:

Building some fence:

Drilling is fun:

A few members of the fence crew right before it started to snow:

One pile of trash collected:

After the project, I ran up to Forest Lake with a few other rigs.

My Scout:

Rigs at the lake:

Rigs and drivers:

Excellent work!

I own a Wrangler, I leave the pavement, I enjoy a driving challenge. But I do believe that these things have a fairly large impact on the environment, and I probably agree with less unfettered access than most here. I'm a pretty big greenie, in other words.

All that aside, props where props are due. You guys put your money, and especially you time, where your mouth is. Way to go - I'm very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    But I do believe that these things have a fairly large impact on the environment...
    When used responsibly, impact of a 4x4 vehicle is practically undetectable. Don't believe the propaganda.

Bogley BigShot
    Great Job Cleaning up Guys!

I would love to have one of those near here.... maybe on Cottonwood and Skutumpah Road in the Grand Staircase!

That's awesome Outside of the snow of course

Hats off to all of you.