Thread: Heaps or Imlay

Heaps or Imlay

One of these days I'm going to get back into Heaps or Imlay, but then I've heard that I need to get out of Zion. What is a good progression from Heaps or Imlay in the Swell?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kinda apples and oranges..... technically there is probably nothing in the Swell that is on the same level as Imlay or Heaps. But if you are asking what I would suggest for someone with your skills in the Swell I'd say spend a weekend camping at Hidden Splendor and try and knock of The Squeeze, Quandary Direct and Knotted Rope. These are all great canyons that can be done from one base camp.

And while not the Swell..... North Wash probably has the best winter canyoneering in Utah.

Squeeze is prolly as good as you will get over there... But, it's just a lame hike with ropes compared to the glory of Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Squeeze is prolly as good as you will get over there... But, it's just a lame hike with ropes compared to the glory of Zion.
    I like lame "hikes with a rope"! Think I'll have to "squeeze" on over there one of these days! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Kinda apples and oranges..... technically there is probably nothing in the Swell that is on the same level as Imlay or Heaps. But if you are asking what I would suggest for someone with your skills in the Swell I'd say spend a weekend camping at Hidden Splendor and try and knock of The Squeeze, Quandary Direct and Knotted Rope. These are all great canyons that can be done from one base camp.

And while not the Swell..... North Wash probably has the best winter canyoneering in Utah.

Great info. Thank you Shane! Will have to see how time plays out

Honestly Bo, I really enjoyed the squeeze (did it again last week), but I'd have to say that Escalante is now home to my favorite slots. The Swell canyons just aren't quite as impressive, from what I've experienced. For Escalante, I think Choprock would be a goodie for you... Huge approach, super scenic, a little technical spice, and some decent climbing obstacles. There isn't really anything like the super skinny grim section to compare it to in Zion. I'd bet it will hold your attention nicely. Purdy good fun.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

How swell is the Swell?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Honestly Bo, I really enjoyed the squeeze (did it again last week), but I'd have to say that Escalante is now home to my favorite slots. The Swell canyons just aren't quite as impressive, from what I've experienced. For Escalante, I think Choprock would be a goodie for you... Huge approach, super scenic, a little technical spice, and some decent climbing obstacles. There isn't really anything like the super skinny grim section to compare it to in Zion. I'd bet it will hold your attention nicely. Purdy good fun.
    Gotta agree with Mr. Biggs. The Swell is really good - only because it is close to Salt Lake City, and then only if you're not doing the best stuff. But for Mr. Heaps, it is not the best. Better things to put on your hitlist are Neon, Choprock Slot, Pandora's, and the myriad of things in North Wash. Shenanigans, Monkey Business, Hogfest, etc. I gotta admit I even prefer stuff in the Roost over Hidden Splendor. Bluejohn East/Main, Larry, Alcatraz, Not Mindbender - these are the good stuff.

Tom

Yea, Escalante should be on your radar, the canyons are amazing AND it's a closer drive for you. It's only 30 something miles beyond the turn off of highway 12 to go to Round Valley Draw, Willis, and Bull Valley Gorge. Yes you have to drive down the Hole in the Rock Road still for many canyons, but it's still a shorter drive than the Swell, Roost, or North Wash. Get four days off and start prodding for partners to do Choprock and Neon. Choprock is different than Zion, but in my opinion can stand up to the best of the best. You like to hike... you and Tanya NEED to get into Coyote Gulch... waterfalls, massive arches, a natural bridge, cottonwoods, year round stream, massive overhangs... a must do classic! Death Hollow, Harris Wash, 40 Mile, 50 Mile, and semi-technical Davis are ALL incredible places and don't require ropes. Zion, and the Glen Canyon area (which includes Escalante) are the crown jewels of the state.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Yea, Escalante should be on your radar, the canyons are amazing AND it's a closer drive for you. It's only 30 something miles beyond the turn off of highway 12 to go to Round Valley Draw, Willis, and Bull Valley Gorge. Yes you have to drive down the Hole in the Rock Road still for many canyons, but it's still a shorter drive than the Swell, Roost, or North Wash. Get four days off and start prodding for partners to do Choprock and Neon. Choprock is different than Zion, but in my opinion can stand up to the best of the best. You like to hike... you and Tanya NEED to get into Coyote Gulch... waterfalls, massive arches, a natural bridge, cottonwoods, year round stream, massive overhangs... a must do classic! Death Hollow, Harris Wash, 40 Mile, 50 Mile, and semi-technical Davis are ALL incredible places and don't require ropes. Zion, and the Glen Canyon area (which includes Escalante) are the crown jewels of the state.
    We do the Grand Staircase area as well as Zion..... but have not got much past Skutumpah and Cottonwood.... soon though! Our distributers want our book finished yesterday, so we really need to focus on this closer area first! Anything in the Staircase though is fair game for us!

Staircase Stuff

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm