Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round Valley Draw

A couple of shots
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the pics as I was just in there but didn't have my camera. I'm guessing it was all dried up? It had just rained and there were a lot of shallow pools, but I would guess it only takes a few days to dry up.

Eric.

Nice pics. I've used this canyon as an entrance to an ovenighter down Hackberry. Fun with a backpack, has a little scrambling when I did it with a friend a few years ago.
    You can rest when you're dead

Bogley BigShot
    Yes, was expecting a little harder canyon, but it is a nice little jaunt in the Staircase. Hackberry is a great one!

Thanks for sharing, Tanya. One question--by your estimation, would this one be feasible with a large child carrier backpack, toddler included?

Bogley BigShot
    It should.... there are some downclimbs.... but they are not too difficult.... but of course with a baby on your back they will be. If you have someone that can do the downclimbs by themselves and you can hand the baby to them, then you will not have any trouble. I don't think anything was so deep you could not do that. I would not want to do it with a baby though.

What do you think Bo?

I was just working on the album for this hike and on getting Bo's trail report online. Here is the link for both, including the map.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/round-valley-draw.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index46.htm

Gotta tell ya, Kiddo, you and Bo do an excellent job of photographing these canyons. It makes me want to rush right out and test the new knee. Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot
    It really is a photogenic canyon! --- But nearby Willis Creek and Bull Valley Gorge are far nicer... I think it's better than Lick Wash and Cottonwood though.

Knee-wize... it's a good one to test it on! When we were there we thought we should have just turned around and scrambled back up the canyon for the exit. --- which would be quite fun!!! .... otherwise there is some uphill scrambling on a dirt hillside to get out of the canyon and a uneventful walk through the brush back to your vehicle.

How are you feeling? I bet it's a while before you get to hike?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Thanks for the pics as I was just in there but didn't have my camera. I'm guessing it was all dried up? It had just rained and there were a lot of shallow pools, but I would guess it only takes a few days to dry up.

Eric.
    Yes! It was really dry.... looked like it would be slippery and gooey if there was lots rain. If I remember right it had just rained there recentlyl before we hiked it.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRoxx
    Nice pics. I've used this canyon as an entrance to an ovenighter down Hackberry. Fun with a backpack, has a little scrambling when I did it with a friend a few years ago.

I would like to do that through hike..... did you do a write up anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    It really is a photogenic canyon! --- But nearby Willis Creek and Bull Valley Gorge are far nicer... I think it's better than Lick Wash and Cottonwood though.

Knee-wize... it's a good one to test it on! When we were there we thought we should have just turned around and scrambled back up the canyon for the exit. --- which would be quite fun!!! .... otherwise there is some uphill scrambling on a dirt hillside to get out of the canyon and a uneventful walk through the brush back to your vehicle.

Well, I've done Willis Creek a couple times, and Cottonwood Wash. I haven't wanted to do Bull Valley Gorge or Round Valley Draw by myself. Maybe I can get my brother out there again.

I am doing well, I think. Range of motion is now 115 degrees, getting better every day. I don't even use the cane much anymore, just hobble around. Re-hab was said to be four weeks, so I've got a ways to go.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker1

Well, I've done Willis Creek a couple times, and Cottonwood Wash. I haven't wanted to do Bull Valley Gorge or Round Valley Draw by myself. Maybe I can get my brother out there again.

I am doing well, I think. Range of motion is now 115 degrees, getting better every day. I don't even use the cane much anymore, just hobble around. Re-hab was said to be four weeks, so I've got a ways to go.
    Of the many many many hikes/canyons I have done... still.. my favorite is the hike through Bull Valley Gorge to Sheep Creek and out Willis Creek. Its long, but not hard.. no elevation and just dang pretty!

I am glad you are doing well. Rehab has to be frustrating!

Of the many many many hikes/canyons I have done... still.. my favorite is the hike through Bull Valley Gorge to Sheep Creek and out Willis Creek. Its long, but not hard.. no elevation and just dang pretty!
    it is quite the nice loop. narrows, deep gorges, ponderosa pines, hmm ...

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan

it is quite the nice loop. narrows, deep gorges, ponderosa pines, hmm ...

How many miles is it? How difficult?

Done Round Valley Draw from the top, down to hackberry canyon then hiked down to 2 or 3 miles and went out Booker Canyon, also done the opposite way. One short rap if go down Booker. Otherwise go around if going up

Bogley BigShot