Thread: Climbers must wear dog collar?

Climbers must wear dog collar?

[color=blue][i]"Oregon state legislators have introduced a bill that would require climbers on Mount Hood to carry an electronic signaling device when they

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I take it you don't like the idea?

Re: Climbers must wear dog collar?

[quote="Iceaxe"][color=blue][i]"Oregon state legislators have introduced a bill that would require climbers on Mount Hood to carry an electronic signaling device when they

Sounds to me like the law they need to change is the amount they can recoup from those they rescue. If you have to get rescued, there is no reason you can't pony up for the bill... Don't make others pay for your rescue.

That's a discussion we've had here before. Salt Lake County Search and Rescue doesn't charge for their services because they don't want people to get into trouble and not call because they're afraid of the bill. However, if you need transportation to a hospital (ambulance or chopper) you'll get charged by whoever does the transport. (SLCSAR is a volunteer organization, so most of the members don't get paid, which is probably a factor as to why it's free).

My gut reaction is that people should be charged for SAR. After all, if you're dumb enough to get caught on a cliff you should have to pay to have people get your sorry ass down. But, on further reflection it makes more sense to have it be free - you don't want a simple evacuation operation to become a rescue operation because someone waited too long to ask for help.

It's not a cut and dry situation. What about the rescues that are out of people's control? Rockfall broke someones leg, or similar. Sure, the stupid ones are easy to say let them foot the bill, but then it may result in no call because of anticipated cost.

I agree with Jim though, I think mandating the devices would just cause more rescue situations because it gives the impression that if you carry one of these, you will be safe. The mountains aren't safe, you need skills and knowledge to travel there. I liked the alternative idea of a safety zone. Once you cross this line, you are on your own. A rescue is optional; so you better know how to get yourself up or down...

If we make it more known that there are dangers, and that people need to be prepared for them; I think that would be best. Knowledge goes a long way. After a few deaths like last year, (which is sad, don't get me wrong) but maybe people will stop believing the stuff they see on TV and realize that the outdoors carry risk. People can, and sometimes do, die. It's not appropriate for couch potatoes to brush off the crumbs from thier shirt, get up, and try to climb a mountain...