Thread: Best way to access Lone Peak Cirque

Best way to access Lone Peak Cirque

I'm planning a climbing trip up to Lone Peak here in a couple of weeks and could use some input on the best way to access the cirque. I have been thinking about the possibility of taking the Snowbird Tram up the LCC ridgeline, then doing a ridge traverse to access Lone Peak, rather than starting at Jacob's Ladder or one of the other standard approaches. I figure that this way I can avoid the 5000+ foot elevation gain carrying all the gear and water, and I can get some peaks out of the way at the same time.

Has anybody out there accessed the Lone Peak Cirque from the Snowbird LCC ridgeline before? Any info. would be helpful, especially if you have accessed Lone Peak from a standard approach and can compare the two.

Thanks ahead of time

-climbhigh1119
    My mama didn't raise no fool!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by climbhigh1119
    Has anybody out there accessed the Lone Peak Cirque from the Snowbird LCC ridgeline before? Any info. would be helpful, especially if you have accessed Lone Peak from a standard approach and can compare the two.
    Welcome to the site!!!

Trying to get into the Lone Peak Cirque via the Snowbird tram would be much much harder than climbing Jacob

I've never done any of these routes, but it sounds like you would be looking at a modified Bullion Divide (start at AF Twins) + Beatout Traverse + the west ridge traverse from Bighorn Peak to Lone Peak

I don't think you would encounter anything tougher than class 4 scrambling, but there may be a few sections of class 5 climbing. People have done it, so it's possible. But, you better be prepared for a very long day of scrambling.

All that being said, when are you going? Need a partner? ;)

I've climbed Lone Peak via both the Draper Ridge and Bear Cayon trails. The Bear Canyon trail which you access in Draper right at the gate were the Corner Canyon dirt road begins, is my recomended route. Climb-Utah is a great resource for info on this.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors