Thread: Cedar Mesa in October- Your Suggestions, please

Cedar Mesa in October- Your Suggestions, please

I've got friends coming in for thier annual Utah vacation and we're going to head out to Cedar Mesa. This will be in late October. So far I've got reservations in Bluff for 3 nites, at the Desert Rose Inn.

Shane's TR is a good starting point. We'll go to Natural Bridges and up a couple of the canyons My basic questions:

Any better lodging suggestions?

Good places to eat?

Will my Pilot be OK for the back country of CM?

Do we take a day to Mesa Verde?

We're going out thru Page and stay there overnite. Would it be more interesting to go out thru Bullfrog?

What shouldn't we miss?

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

good places to eat - not much choice in bluff.twin rocks is all that is open year round. maybe the steak house is still open ? don't remember.

forget about wireless devices anywhere around bluff or cedar mesa or comb ridge.

lodging is gonna run $50+/night at minimum. desert rose is good place.

lots of things you shouldn't miss near bluff/cedar mesa. comb ridge is excellent. road canyon is nice. mccloyd is excellent. i am hesitant to broadcast much stuff when it is cultural sites. a canyon - why not broadcast a big gash in the earth ? but cultural sites are truly sensitive to visitation. hit me sideband though and i could sharre a spot or 2 if you are interested.
    signature

I prefer staying in Blanding over Bluff.... Blanding is a lot bigger town with two decent resturants. Best resturant is in the middle of town at the stop light / 90 degree corner.

Mesa Verda is nice but adds a lot of driving. I'd just stay in Cedar Mesa area and do Verda next trip.

Don't do Page through Bullfrog.... not sure of faray situation right now.

Here is where I like to stay in Blanding.

Four Corners
    131 East Center
    Blanding, UT 84511
    Phone: (435) 678-3257
    Toll Free: (800) 574-3150
    No pool but really nice and in center of town.

Comfort Inn
    711 South Main Street
    Blanding, UT 84511
    Indoor pool and hot tub.

Thanks, off to check Blanding! I was going to call on the ferry, wasn't sure either. I was hoping there were a 4 permits left for N or S Coyote Buttes for the first day but they're gone.That's why I thought of going out thru Bullfrog.

GB, I'll be in touch.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

If you plan to do mostly hiking around Cedar Mesa, then I agree that Blanding makes a better base. More of a town and closer to CM, Natural Bridges, etc. The Butler Wash/Comb ridge drive is a great way to spend a day, with numerous places to hike to ruins and/or petroglyphs. I used M. Kelsey's guide plus some of Shane's site to find things. The Wolfman site is tops, a great adventure for someone from out of area. You can also drive to the top of Comb Ridge for a great view, but it's a long washboard road.

If you want to drive to Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Moki Dugway, Goosenecks SP, Muley Point, John's Canyon, Sand Island, etc, then Bluff is closer.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

your pilot should do just fine on most of the roads to the trailheads. providing the roads don't get to wet and you know how to drive over some rough roads. i've taken rental geo metros to most of the places on the mesa.

if you plan on hiking into the canyons to look for ruins and rock art (and there are heaps) then i wouldnt bother with mesa verde. that being said mesa verde is an incredible place to visit and get some exposure to the ancient ones.

not quite sure how one goes out through page. unless you take the burr trail from bullfrog to escalante and out that way. otherwise it would be down to kayenta from mexican hat.

things not to miss? driving up the moki dugway and the view of the rapley anticline. a night at muley point would be another one. a great place to camp and a great view from navajo moountain to monument valley. sunrises and sunsets, wow! lots of neat things to see in the canyons too. don't know how much time you have for hikes but if you want some of my favorites pm me. i've spent a lot of days poking around in all of the canyons on cedar mesa and i'd be happy to share some spots with you.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Re: Cedar Mesa in October- Your Suggestions, please

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    What shouldn't we miss?
    Your suggestions are much appreciated.
    i agree with denaliguide that the dugout and muley point one should see. muley point is a great place to camp, though at times it can get super windy. but there's some fun slickrock to wander on and, as he mentioned, superb views.

cedar mesa is a wonderful place, one of my favorites. as you've seen canyons drip from the spine of the mesa to the east/southeast and west/southwest. they're all wonderful in different ways. Tassoni's book on the area might be helpful to you. (tassoni downplays ruins though).

north and south mule canyons are super easy to access and have great ruins. definitely something easy that shouldn't be missed. right on 95 very close to natural bridges.

Well, we're off next week. Thanks for all the great info, be fun to see a new area.

Win