Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    How much of Zion have you seen Kyrell? Maybe I need to have you show me around? Not an insult or being fecicious, but just suggesting that maybe you haven't gotten out enough to see that there is much more than you may think?
    [/color]
    haha ... bo, i respect tremendously what you and tanya do. i think it is a wonderful thing to come to intimately know a locale, the subtle and not so subtle variations from neighboring canyon to neighboring canyon ... they are not all the same and it's incredible to realize that two canyons side by side can be wholly different. the zion-GS area is truly a magical place.

growing up in salt lake and having much of southern utah equidistant or at least somewhat equidistant caused me to want to explore each different area and have a more coarse-grained approach to southern utah. however i do believe it's faulty thinking to assume that if you seen a few, or many canyons in an area, you KNOW that area. very far from it.

there are infinitely many levels of getting to know a place, and you guys far surpass more than most people in coming to know the area you live. i hold deep respect for that approach.

southern utah is dazzling wherever you go. i like the different personalities of each different region, for example, how each sandstone varies from locale to locale and how slot canyons differ as a result.

i think it equal to say that if you stick in zion and surrounds you're missing out on the rest and if you're sampling all of southern utah, your missing out on coming to know a region more intimately that one can imagine. it's hard to achieve both.

either approach is on the right track and it's nice that we can share our different approaches on these various web forums.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i think it equal to say that if you stick in zion and surrounds you're missing out on the rest and if you're sampling all of southern utah, your missing out on coming to know a region more intimately that one can imagine. it's hard to achieve both.

either approach is on the right track and it's nice that we can share our different approaches on these various web forums.[/quote]

Amen to that Stefan! Who knows...maybe tomorrow the opportunity and desire to move on and sample other parts will arise. I would treat this adventure as I would any other. Respect and Curiosity.

Hey Bo,

I'd be happy to do a trip with you sometime if you'd like to see some of the Swell, the Roost, North Wash, Cedar Mesa, Escalante, Lake Powell and the like. Don't get me wrong, I truly respect and look up to you as I think many people who post here do. Your experience far exceeds mine. It's also true that I haven't seen nearly as much of Zion as I'd like to. There is no question that it's one of the most beautiful places on the Earth. I was only suggesting that as far as Utah canyoneering goes, there is soooo much to see and I think Zion frequently takes the spotlight. Again, Zion is awesome but it's not the only game in town.

Bogley BigShot

You guys are only thinking canyoneering! Bo likes to climb and hike too.... so doing all that, the area we cover is HUGE! There is more to life than crawling through dark, cold, slot canyons with stinky water.

Really guys! Get up high and look down once in a while.

It's so nice to not spend the weekends driving either. The stuff we do is so CLOSE and there is still so much here we have not done! We both have thought that after we have done ALL there is to do here, we would broaden the area.... but until then we are sort of East Zion snobs... as in Zion and about 100 miles east of Zion sort of thing.

We have only barely begun to explore the Kaibab Forest and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon too! --- and there is still so much in the Staircase and Dixie National Forest..... we have only just begun!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    How much of Zion have you seen Kyrell? Maybe I need to have you show me around? Not an insult or being fecicious, but just suggesting that maybe you haven't gotten out enough to see that there is much more than you may think?
    [/color]
    haha ... bo, i respect tremendously what you and tanya do. i think it is a wonderful thing to come to intimately know a locale, the subtle and not so subtle variations from neighboring canyon to neighboring canyon ... they are not all the same and it's incredible to realize that two canyons side by side can be wholly different. the zion-GS area is truly a magical place.

Thanks!!!!!!!

This is exactly what our goal is! It's hiking paradise here and we want to do and write up all there is to do!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

You guys are only thinking canyoneering! Bo likes to climb and hike too.... so doing all that, the area we cover is HUGE! There is more to life than crawling through dark, cold, slot canyons with stinky water.

I don't know Tanya...I absolutley love dark canyons and stinky pothole water! And uh...this is the "canyoneering" thread afterall

However, I do agree with you that there is much more to the outdoors than just canyoneering. And I admire those of you who are able to get out all of the time and see it. Unfortunately for me, I'm usually able to get out once or twice a month if I'm lucky. But I make those trips count and see as much as I can...even if I have to travel for hundreds of miles to do it.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya

I don't know Tanya...I absolutely love dark canyons and stinky pothole water! And uh...this is the "canyoneering" thread afterall

However, I do agree with you that there is much more to the outdoors than just canyoneering. And I admire those of you who are able to get out all of the time and see it. Unfortunately for me, I'm usually able to get out once or twice a month if I'm lucky. But I make those trips count and see as much as I can...even if I have to travel for hundreds of miles to do it.
    Me too!... but it's sort of like men..... I love them all and all the different things about them... love the hiking as well as the canyons! I want to do them all (don't take that the wrong way guys)

Oh yeah.... well you know me... my mind wanders and I never pay attention to what thread I am on. I think it's from years of posting on yahoo groups. It can't be that I am scatterbrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    Hey Bo,

I'd be happy to do a trip with you sometime if you'd like to see some of the Swell, the Roost, North Wash, Cedar Mesa, Escalante, Lake Powell and the like. Don't get me wrong, I truly respect and look up to you as I think many people who post here do. Your experience far exceeds mine. It's also true that I haven't seen nearly as much of Zion as I'd like to. There is no question that it's one of the most beautiful places on the Earth. I was only suggesting that as far as Utah canyoneering goes, there is soooo much to see and I think Zion frequently takes the spotlight. Again, Zion is awesome but it's not the only game in town.
    Understand Kyrell, I respect anyone and everyone who is able to, and does have the time to get outside for wholesome outdoor recreation; whether it be biking, hiking, "canyoneering" (hiking with a rope), climbing (big mountains, little mountains, rock, ice, mixed, etc, etc), family camping, boating, rafting, canoeing, kayaking, or anything that provides enjoyment, but not at a too high an expense to 'our' environment. There are activities that I despise (my opinion), but I see most of the folks in this forum headed in a similar direction. It's good to see, hear and digest the vast experiences of all. I know that there is an un-explored world in central Utah (at least by me) and I dream of one day that I might be able to whet my tastebuds, and certainly appreciate and thank you for the invite!

Cheers Mate!

segers hole

Every time I head south I hit Seger's hole if possible. I love the approach down muddy creek and the canyon is a stellar!!! If I am out of it in the morning I can alway hit zero gravity which is also a blast.