Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Canyon?

Favorite Canyon?

What is your favorite canyon to hit?

Out of the few I have done so far mine would be Pine Creek.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's like asking which of your children you like the most...

Just recently I spent a weekend in two of my all-time favs: The Squeeze and Quandary.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Which do you prefer... Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads

Honestly.... the last new canyon I did usually ranks pretty high on my list. But Pine Creek is probably the route I do most often... its a sweet canyon that doesn't extract a high payment to sample the goods.

Yankee Doodle, hands down.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    mystery then birch--so far

Heaps, Kolob, Imlay, Trail, Englestead are the first five that come to mind. Honorable mention, Pine Creek, Larry, The squeeze, Neon....etc. I didn't list the Subway but I love the Subway since it not classified as a technical-technical canyon (I know I am going to hear it from the gurus.) I have yet to do Choprock and from what I hear it may edge onto the top five list in a hurry. I haven't done Yankee Doodle yet either. So many canyons, so little time. Also, a lot goes into a "favorite" canyon. The group you are with, the fun you had, the conditions of the canyon, your fitness and skill level...etc.
    Life is Good

If I had to pick 5 to recommend to someone just starting tech canyons they would be....

Buckskin Gulch
    Black Hole
    Subway (bonus for adding Das Boot)
    Pine Creek
    Bluejohn (Down east - up main loop)

I've done all of these multiple times and always had fun.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Which do you prefer... Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads

Honestly.... the last new canyon I did usually ranks pretty high on my list. But Pine Creek is probably the route I do most often... its a sweet canyon that doesn't extract a high payment to sample the goods.

Sort of like your stripper friends

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    mystery then birch--so far

I am with you on Birch!!!! I love that one! Dry... cool... fun downclimbs and SCENIC!

Best of all... No permit!

Re: Favorite Canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by AFI
    What is your favorite canyon to hit?

Out of the few I have done so far mine would be Pine Creek.
    Pine Creek is a blast! My list sort of goes like this:

Kolob Creek
    Heaps
    Checkerboard
    Narrows at Night
    Orderville
    Imlay

I could flip this list upside down and it would still be in order

Of the canyons I've done, my top 3:

Imlay, Shenanigans, The Squeeze (- the stink)

but canyons are like pizza, even when they're bad they're good so it's all fun and hard to rank

Bo, we need to get you out of Zion one of these days....

I have a hard time choosing just one canyon, overall I'd probably pick Choprock as my favorite, since it has a little of everything. Steep scary downclimbs, amazingly beautiful riparian section, magnificent subway, flowing water at the beginning of the happy section (in the spring at least), log jams, stemming, hard upclimbs, loooooong swims, super fun downclimbs, squeezing, and amazing beauty!

Favorite squeezing canyon - Shenanigans, with Pandora's Box, Trail, and Hard Day Harvey right there with it.

Favorite wet canyon - Kolob

Most beautiful - Kolob, Choprock, Heaps, Pine Creek

Coldest water - Lehi in March... I'm still shivering thinking about it.

Lots of bang for a short canyon - Alcatraz, Trail, and Frosted Flakes

I could go on and on, they are all worth doing once then you can choose your favorites and start repeating them, some of the really good ones get better over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Bo, we need to get you out of Zion one of these days....
    Yeah..know what you mean, but like your statement implies; Zion offers a lot of goods and doesn't exact a high toll! Living relatively close has spoiled me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Yeah..know what you mean, but like your statement implies; Zion offers a lot of goods and doesn't exact a high toll! Living relatively close has spoiled me for sure.
    um ... kinda like north wash area

trail
    maidenwater
    shenanigans
    fooling around
    monkey business
    upper stair
    sandthrax
    shimrock
    shamrock
    east lep
    blarneys
    shils
    constrychnine
    arscenic
    slideanide

... and others ...

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    um ... kinda like north wash area

trail
    maidenwater
    shenanigans
    fooling around
    monkey business
    upper stair
    sandthrax
    shimrock
    shamrock
    east lep
    blarneys
    shils
    constrychnine
    arscenic
    slideanide

... and others ...
    When I grow up I wanna be a race car driver!?................Nah, I wanna be a "Canyoneer"!!!!!!!

So many Canyons...Not enough Life!

Bogley BigShot
    Why travel when Bo and I are in the middle of paradise! Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase, Sand Dunes area, Cedar Breaks, Dixie Forest, Coyote Buttes.......

So much to do here!

Those of you that limit yourselves to Zion are missing out on the other 90% of what Utah has to offer, especially for canyoneering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    Those of you that limit yourselves to Zion are missing out on the other 90% of what Utah has to offer, especially for canyoneering.
    First of all; understand that there is NO limit to Zion. Second; Yes there is at least 90% or more of Utah that I haven't seen. Now I'll put it into perspective. There is 99.99999999 % of the rest of the world, whether in Utah or other that I haven't had the true pleasure to visit as well!

Like I said in my previous post: Too much to see, not enough Life.
    Believe me that I KNOW, Utah has SOOOOOOOOOO much to offer other than just Zion, and one of these days I can only hope that I can have someone show like you me around!

Tanya and I have spent the last 4 years in the Gsenm, Coyote Buttes, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Dixie Nat. Forest, Zion, Paria Wilderness, Vermillion Cliffs NM, Canaan Mtn. BLM, Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP, Kaibab Forest, Grand Canyon and Coyote Buttes SPA's. We haven't duplicated a hike in the 4 years that we've hiked almost every weekend. 52 weekends X 4= 208 Hikes more or less?

Yes, We haven't been in the "classic" hikes in the Swell, or even Escalante, but then we haven't done many hikes that are touted as the best either!

Do know that I believe we would both love to do "them all", but.....damn, they'll just have to be another mark on the "tic-list".

We love hearing and experiencing the trips that are presented on this forum, and who knows........maybe soon we can "expand our horizons" to include other than the small tidbits that we have gained on our own!

I know that we haven't even scratched the surface

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell
    Just a little other stuff.

I loved Pasangan Falls in Luzon, Phillipines. Unnamed falls on Viti Levu, Fiji, some nice areas on Astrolab Reef, Fiji........really loved some of the areas I hitchhiked in Papua New Guinea. New Zealand for the 1 1/2 months I spent hitchhiking was pretty cool, Hong Kong and South China in 1980 was awesome. Must admit the best time spent was in the Hermit Island Atoll north of New Gunea., but then Palau for a month was some great "dredge diving".

I have hiked ZION since 1986 and havent seen even a fraction of what I would like to see.

How much of Zion have you seen Kyrell? Maybe I need to have you show me around? Not an insult or being fecicious, but just suggesting that maybe you haven't gotten out enough to see that there is much more than you may think?

Bo